Author Topic: Quick tips for aspiring 29 pilots  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Quick tips for aspiring 29 pilots
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
For those well versed you should already know. For those who aren't these tips will help.

For years I've struggled with cons that attack from below until about a month ago when I accidentally hit the 6 position while in a fight. Spoke with an experienced 29 guy who has struggled with the same problem. The 5 and 6 position will give you a clear line of sight and fire if an enemy is below your aircraft. It's night and day from just relying on the tailgun. To those who already know this won't help just trying to help those who don't know :salute

You can take the wing off an enemy con from 1.5k on your six whether at the same alt, above or below if you lead the shot correctly and aim it just right. That's what the cannon is for in the tailgun. Burst shots of just a couple of rounds do the trick. Be sure to conserve your ammo though you made need it later!

B29s are extremely accurate bombers. Most people struggle with accuracy at high alt and have to use an extra bomb or 2. To counter this simply drop a notch or 2 of flaps. Give your bird plenty of time to level out. It will jump a few times. Calibrate at 250-270 airspeed(even slower if you can keep it stable)and make sure you are within 1 ft and 1 mph of calibrated speed and alt. Works like a charm. 3-500lb bombs will always do the trick on a hanger. 16-500lb bombs to white flag a town, 21 if you also plan to deack it. If your under attack stay fast and overcompensate. It's alway better to drop the target than miss and waste your ords.

Use 70-80% of your center tank at the beginning of your flight if attacking a city, HQ, or CV. 9/10 times that your hit it's your center fuel tank that gets used for the return trip. The other 10% you'll simply catch fire and haven't figured out a way around that one its just bad luck. This trick alone has saved me hundreds of perks. Just don't forget to switch your tank before it's below 2%. Always scout a runway if you haven't taken off in 29's from it before and always be on the look out for a good runway to take off from. High alt bases 3k or higher just saves you 3000 ft or more climbing and they don't climb fast even with a light load.

Always let your engines warm up before take off. Whenever I spawn to a runway I let them sit for a minute. While waiting i raise the flaps that would provide unneeded drag down the runway. When I throttle up I hold the brake until I have full rpm's. When you let off the brake engage your war emergency power at the same time. Engage 2-3 notches of flaps before you come to the end of the runway and make sure there are no tress in your way. Makes it a lot easier to take off with 75% fuel this way and the only way I can take off with 100% if there isn't a drop right off the base.

Whatever you do don't loose your elevators and ailerons. It is possible to land without them if you still have a rudder and good throttle control but it might be the hardest thing to do in a buff. I've only done it once. It took 30 minutes, 5 attempts, and I still lost the wings but managed to stay on concrete. Make sure to use as much fuel before attempting as possible but not so much you can't give yourself a few tries to get you Line up right.

Flying 29's above 30k in this game is the closest you will come to God Mode. Take the time to get up there. It will get you home!!! If you have the perks to waste and want a fight that's a different story. Most people don't know how to farm perks the right way in this game so the perks are valuable. It's better just to up 17's if you want a fight until you have the experience.

In the rare situation you lost 2 drones and running low on fuel you can land on a CV. You must have your rudder, fully functioning elevators and ailerons. You have to bring it to a stall with full flaps down at the right moment but can be done if your in a tight spot. As mentioned before make sure you use as much fuel as possible. You want to be very light!

Best bomb setup for HQ is the 4 4000lb cookies in my opinion. No spread and excellent splash damage.

Last but not least (for now) as with any plane but more so with this bird if you want to be successful you must invest your time. Be patient and calculated as everything from climbing/descending, turning, and accurate calibrations take time in this bird. If you rush what your doing you will screw up.

:salute
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:31:45 PM by Wizz »
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Quick tips for aspiring 29 pilots
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »
Well written Wizz, thanks for the info.. Seems like every time I try to up 29's I loose at least 1 set trying to get off the ground lol.

:salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »
Bombing is not that hard,  keep throttle a little below max, do a rough calibration (~10 sec) and match calibrated speed with throttle. Works on all bombers. Favorite bombing approach is the "racetrack", after first drop, turn 180 degrees. fly 30 sec and turn back on original course. Its faster than fly over target and turn and 2nd drop will be parallel with the first. If done perfectly no calibration is needed between drops.

Leave the 40x500 loadout in the hanger, its overkill for all targets. 56x250 is best strats loadout.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:18:22 PM »
4x4000 lbs is an excelent loadout for bombing HQ. A huge kaboom x12 and it will not kill HQ.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
Wizz just to let you know 4x4000lbs is the worst loadout for HQ as it only does 28,000lbs of damage and the HQ requires 37,000lbs the 2000lbs loadout is better for HQ as it allows you to kill it in one pass
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:06 PM »
Wizz just to let you know 4x4000lbs is the worst loadout for HQ as it only does 28,000lbs of damage and the HQ requires 37,000lbs the 2000lbs loadout is better for HQ as it allows you to kill it in one pass
help me out then, wouldn't 4x4000=16,000 per plane? I thought that would be 48,000? Or does the damage work differently with the cookie? I tried it once years ago and it worked but now that your mentioning this if your correct it had to be soft already. I will edit the OP if that's incorrect. I just never tried it again because lancs don't cost anything in LW.

I'm trying to turn this over in my mind and I think I'm going crazy :headscratch:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:41:06 PM by Wizz »

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »
I just did a quick search and I was incorrect in the right loadout for HQ. Since I can't modify the OP. Do not use the 4000 lb setup on the HQ with a single set of 29's won't drop it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:48:20 PM by Wizz »

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:27:23 AM »
B-29 loadouts and their actual damage rating:

The smaller the bombs get, the more efficient they get for their weight. The downside is, you get smaller damage radii.

The 80x100 and 56x250 are great for killing the City, with the 80x100 being particularly lightweight. Use formation and drop 1x250 or 2x500 per city tile. Theoretically you can get 56 (=65%) or 40 (47%) city blocks that way, though practically it's often somewhat less, even when you don't have the habit of using a couple of bombs on the dreaded ack towers.

4x4k and 8x2k are working great on factories, in which the targets are much more spread out than in towns. Thus the increased splash radius of those bomb (especially the 4k HC bomb with it's additional +50% range) is very helpful, though I would use the 4k bomb loadout only on mostly undamaged factories.

I agree with the assessment of the 40x500 loadout, it's mostly overkill. The only time I used it was when attacking retreated central strats on large maps, where I figured I may be the only player attacking them for hours. In this case I took it to achieve maximum damage at all targets there.

A word on taking off a B-29:
If you climb to high altitudes, choosing a higher based takeoff field has only minor impact on your total climb time. it saves you a little bit of time (but not actually '3k' if it's a 3k base), but that should be only a secondary consideration - no need to look frantically for a base with another 1k additional altitude.

And when in doubt if you can take off from a certain base - Do not rely on a 'maybe', do a quick offline test. Only 5 minutes (or less even) very much worth the saved perks :)

And last: There is no need to 'warm up', in AH the engines produce reliable full power a few seconds after startup, as soon as the RPM have got to speed.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:47 AM »
And by reducing rpm a little u easily reach even the most remote target on 75%fuel and still have fuel to make it back.
Decending is best on with auto pilot in speed mode and by controling sink rate with throttle. Use flaps if u want to get down quicker.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:02:07 AM »
Nice write up Wizz  :aok :salute
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »
Nice write up Wizz  :aok :salute
thanks mbailey just feel bad for giving bad info on the cookie bombs hate to lead someone astray. To think after all these years I've been wrong I'm glad I finally know.  :bhead

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »
thanks mbailey just feel bad for giving bad info on the cookie bombs hate to lead someone astray. To think after all these years I've been wrong I'm glad I finally know.  :bhead
8x2000lb setup on HQ all day. You can drop at any alt, any speed, and defend exceptionally well along the way. For good measure I tried the setup flying through enemy dar along the way at 15k. Despite a small defense I made it to the target with ease although for anyone else willing to try I'd recommend coming in higher.  :salute

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
If ya need to get down in a hurry here is what I do....Chop throttles coast till ya hear stall warning..Full flaps push the nose over hard and hit auto pilot...She'll drop at 4 grand a minute and never get close to maxing out.