Author Topic: For those about to depart...  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
Re: For those about to depart...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
just curious to find out why you think the graphics update will kill the game?  do you have access to some stuff we dont?

semp

There's been a lot of speculation that the Update will require Newer, more powerful machines, or atleast video cards. It appears A majority of the current players are on a shoe string budget, most barely able to scrape up an extra $15 a month for a game. there has been a lot of concern that update will make the game unplayable on their current rigs, or atleast put them at a major disadvantage.

I currently play on a bone stock HP pavilion 23.  I get pretty decent performance at about 3/4 settings.  Am I willing to invest hundreds of $$ into a machine to continue playing ?  :headscratch:  I just don't know. I can afford to, but can I justify it ?

anyway... for now it's just speculation, we wont know anything until the Alpha guys tells us different, or until the release.

The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
just curious to find out why you think the graphics update will kill the game?  do you have access to some stuff we dont?

semp

The new graphics will likely require more powerful computers to run it. As a student, that's money I just don't have.

Additionally, this seems like their bid to draw in more players. Likely the update will be followed by an advertising campaign. If it fails to achieve the desired results, I suspect that this will be the last major update we have. We may get a few more content updates while they decided final disposition of the game, and what to do next, but I find it unlikely that they will continue betting the house on a single slowly dying horse.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »
I currently play on a bone stock HP pavilion 23.  I get pretty decent performance at about 3/4 settings.  Am I willing to invest hundreds of $$ into a machine to continue playing ?  I just don't know. I can afford to, but can I justify it ?

Ah!  Please allow me to perform a valuable function, by answering your question!

Yes!  Of course you can justify it!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but we watched for months...years, perhaps....as people on these boards said that the reason AH was losing people was because the graphics were out of date.  Now people are complaining that up-to-date graphics will make AH lose people?  There is no pleasing the crowd.

- oldman

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
I think HT should make a price drop when the new update comes out as part of a advertising campaign . Like $9.99 ? I think they would get a few more people to stay around if they did ,
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline shake307

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »
I don't know about everyone on here.  I just recently started playing again.  I never really got into it in the first place, but I know this is the best that there is out there. 
The freedom of AH is unmatched.  I can fly what I want when I want against others doing the same.  Wanna fly a Mustang to shoot a Brewster?  Go ahead.  Wanna bomb the bejeebus out of a town? Do it.  Drive a tank?  Man a battleship gun? WW1?  Dive bomb?  Capture fields?  Strategize? Knock yourself out.
The scale of AH is unmatched.  600 people capacity in a single arena is no small thing.  And we have more than one arena.  What we do as individuals makes a real difference in the outcome of the war.  That is the key to the scale of AH.  Other games are just games.  Death matches or capture the flag.  Other games fight battles.  We fight wars.
AH Community is the best I have ever seen. And i have seen a lot (World of Tanks, WOW, World of Warplanes, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Trek Online, SWTOR, EVE).  We have a hardcore group of people that will answer questions and offer help to people like me.  Just ask.  I am talking about combat pilots, engineers, history buffs (me), and anybody else that has any interest in what AH represents. 

TLDR  Read it.  Read it all.  Add to it.  Aces High is the best.  Bar none. :salute
Respect is granted, not demanded.

Let's get drunk and fly!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 08:02:05 AM »
I don't know about everyone on here.  I just recently started playing again.  I never really got into it in the first place, but I know this is the best that there is out there. 
The freedom of AH is unmatched.  I can fly what I want when I want against others doing the same.  Wanna fly a Mustang to shoot a Brewster?  Go ahead.  Wanna bomb the bejeebus out of a town? Do it.  Drive a tank?  Man a battleship gun? WW1?  Dive bomb?  Capture fields?  Strategize? Knock yourself out.
The scale of AH is unmatched.  600 people capacity in a single arena is no small thing.  And we have more than one arena.  What we do as individuals makes a real difference in the outcome of the war.  That is the key to the scale of AH.  Other games are just games.  Death matches or capture the flag.  Other games fight battles.  We fight wars.
AH Community is the best I have ever seen. And i have seen a lot (World of Tanks, WOW, World of Warplanes, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Trek Online, SWTOR, EVE).  We have a hardcore group of people that will answer questions and offer help to people like me.  Just ask.  I am talking about combat pilots, engineers, history buffs (me), and anybody else that has any interest in what AH represents. 

TLDR  Read it.  Read it all.  Add to it.  Aces High is the best.  Bar none. :salute

:rock
<S> for getting it!
Once we fill the arenas again, trust me it will be craziness like you never seen.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
The new graphics will likely require more powerful computers to run it. As a student, that's money I just don't have.

If you can run AH now with decent frame rates, you should be able to run the new version without any problems.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »

Ah!  Please allow me to perform a valuable function, by answering your question!

Yes!  Of course you can justify it!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but we watched for months...years, perhaps....as people on these boards said that the reason AH was losing people was because the graphics were out of date.  Now people are complaining that up-to-date graphics will make AH lose people?  There is no pleasing the crowd.

- oldman

+1  :aok
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:17 PM »
I think a free month or two with an advertising push would help.  Get them hooked,  keep them around long enough to learn the basics.  Then they pay.  :D

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
I think a free month or two with an advertising push would help.  Get them hooked,  keep them around long enough to learn the basics.  Then they pay.  :D

A longer experience promotion is something I tend to agree with as well.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
If anything is stale, it's the players doing the same thing over and over expecting a miracle to give them a more fun experience rather than trying new things.

Offline Phoenix3107

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »

Or they could make the training arena free :aok

Hear me out on this, just a spitball: The current way is that the new player gets two weeks automatically free w/no strings attached. But they wouldn't be able to find the time or the money to use it properly(school, work, etc.). By the time the new player finally makes time, their two weeks are up, and have to pay to learn how to fly, fight, voice/text comms, the essentials to play AH, and that kinda demoralizes the new person, therefore making the decision to go to other games that can meet their needs(War Thunder, WoT, WoWP, etc.), making AH look bad.

If the training arena was opened up freely to new players without the need to limit it to a number of days, weeks, whatever...this way, new players would be able to find time not only to learn the basics of flight simulation in AH, but also interact with one another and know what it's like to have fun, maybe even look to join up with known squads BEFORE they get into the arenas and events. Then, once they've mastered the fundamentals and scooped up enough money for each month, then they pay to enter the arenas to play with the big dogs.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:28:28 PM by Phoenix3107 »
GameID:Phoenix

Also can be found under my DA name
"Lonewolf32097" at www.deviantart.com.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »
Or they could make the training arena free :aok

Aha, now there's an interesting idea. :airplane:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
games not stale, the individual player might be though.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 10:19:43 AM »
games not stale, the individual player might be though.
Agree , most of the real good pilot's don't seem to stick around long . Like take Grizz form the AOM , I think he is the best the game has ever seen but they all seem to move on so something wrong here , money ? Time ? Game getting old ?
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!