Author Topic: Flat Turn Fight  (Read 4807 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Flat Turn Fight
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
 :rofl

:salute

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2015, 03:03:57 PM »
Yes indeed thank you for that FLS, however I believe Morf is referring to the instantaneous turn that happens between flap settings.

As we can see in that 38 chart, at 3 notches its best sustained rate is 21 dps at 162ish mph. But if we were to start at its best sustained rate with no flaps at 190 mph and drop those three notches (read: add lift) from there, the turn rate will go above 21dps until the drag and thrust equalize again at 162 mph. If we were to drop the rest of the flaps from there, the dps would breifly increase again until the extra drag causes us to lose enough speed to cancel the extra lift created.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
I'm sure you know that flaps don't actually add lift. Flaps change the shape of the inner wing and increase the coefficient of lift, lowering the stall speed. Lift remains the product of AOA and speed. Since instantaneous turn rate lasts for an instant in flat turns it's not generally useful. If you already almost have a shot it can let you pull lead for the shot but in that case you can probably spare the angles to lag and build speed and then pull more g clean. The difference being the speed you end up with after the shot. If it's a duel it doesn't matter which way you go unless you miss the shot but in the arena you may want the higher speed.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2015, 03:44:44 PM »
increase the coefficient of lift

Close enough. :lol

At last we are in agreement. :old:

Not generally useful sure, but you must at least be wary of it as I have learned the hard way. You may also want to use it in the MA if you're confident with your gunnery and need to deal with the guy quickly before more come, but as you say as well, speed is life.

:salute
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
Instead of going in a flat circle. Go up and down while you are doing the flat turn. This will give you a tiny notch if alt, then when you go down you'll have a tiny bit E. Often times, if I'm above 800ft I'll attempt to cut in and go into a dive to attempt a loop over the top.

Think of it as a wobbly circle going up and down, on one end you are high, the other side you are low. At the high side, you can roll into a nose a nose dive by cutting inside the circle and then using that E to do a loop or Emil over the top.

What Violator said above or try a sustained slight climb while holding that tight turn.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!