Author Topic: Current State of the Cockpit  (Read 3240 times)

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Current State of the Cockpit
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 01:26:38 PM »
Well I don't think we need to be worrying about super charger settings, mixture, and starting engines on a cold day. ARMA has this type of simulation with helicopters, realistic flight model, but not a simulator where you need to press a thousand buttons.

He was referring to the detail not the flight characteristics but in terms of detail he is correct. Many of my friends say the same thing. I really hope to see more towns and cities personally. I hope they can one day make it perfect lol.

And I agree olds some weather in the atmosphere would be cool  :aok
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
Yes and it's definitely Hitech's view on it from talking with him many years ago. The problem for me is the 'power of the graphics'. Peeps that don't know much about flying I'm trying to introduce AH to end up going for something else with much better graphics. The way of thinking is : better graphics means better 'sim'. My other friends that actually do know how to fly a plane are split. Some have no problem with the dumb down physics of WT because the 'atmosphere is fun', the purists bypass AH because of the graphics and go to DCS.

AH would implode if we had to do real pilot stuffs, so it's right on with the difficulty level, amazing with the galore amount of content, and outstanding community feel ... but the graphics fail to hook up my friends and it's bypassed. :furious
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
HA! See the gauges are whiter!

Oh crap! Just realised that wasnt a real cockpit
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
One thing clearly needed is ambient occlusion (this is lights reflecting off walls and such) for things like gear indicators and backlit gauges which hopefully means we get some form of weather.....

I would love seeing rain hit the canopy :rock

a bit on Ambient Occlusion

it does not add any lighting...it actually simulates shadows...IE its changes the degree of darkness on each pixel.....

a cheap and easy way of doing this is an AO texture.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
Better to be a master of tiddlywinks in a golden palace than a master of the universal principles in a mountain hut. It would indeed be fantastic to have IL2 graphics with 600 players and 20x20 sectors of 25miles by 25miles.

So all of you game graphics experts please explain the limitations of making that happen. IL2, WarBlunder and DCS seem to have never cracked that conundrum. The maximum number of players in their worlds is what...32 or 64? And the size of their world, 10miles by 10miles?? Seems eyeorgasim intensity is limited to the size of the "world" environment and number of player objects enjoying the eyeball pr@n with you.

1. - What did Hitech have to sacrifice for that max player number of 600 in a gigantic world?

2. - And you same guys who do it every time Hitech releases previews from the alpha. Why do you poke Hitech in the eye each and every time? When you know you are going to do it as long as he doesn't suddenly release IL2 graphics with 600 player arenas?

Why can't the other companies give you eyeorgasims with 600 players in their arenas? The age old unspoken argument is, it's Hitech's job to pet your tusshie, not yours to be a game design expert, and who cares when you rule the fantasysphere universe from behind your monitor. I think some fingers in ears and la,la,la,la, can't hear you is happening also.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »
Better to be a master of tiddlywinks in a golden palace than a master of the universal principles in a mountain hut. It would indeed be fantastic to have IL2 graphics with 600 players and 20x20 sectors of 25miles by 25miles.

So all of you game graphics experts please explain the limitations of making that happen. IL2, WarBlunder and DCS seem to have never cracked that conundrum. The maximum number of players in their worlds is what...32 or 64? And the size of their world, 10miles by 10miles?? Seems eyeorgasim intensity is limited to the size of the "world" environment and number of player objects enjoying the eyeball pr@n with you.

1. - What did Hitech have to sacrifice for that max player number of 600 in a gigantic world?

2. - And you same guys who do it every time Hitech releases previews from the alpha. Why do you poke Hitech in the eye each and every time? When you know you are going to do it as long as he doesn't suddenly release IL2 graphics with 600 player arenas?

Why can't the other companies give you eyeorgasims with 600 players in their arenas? The age old unspoken argument is, it's Hitech's job to pet your tusshie, not yours to be a game design expert, and who cares when you rule the fantasysphere universe from behind your monitor. I think some fingers in ears and la,la,la,la, can't hear you is happening also.
Oh I completely forgot constructive criticism was not allowed here. 600 players in one arena? Planet side 2 has up to 2000 players in one arena and it doesn't look like its from the 1990s

Also ARMA 2 from 2009 has amazing graphics and has ground, air, sea, and jet combat with some arena topping 400 players back when the servers where up for ACE mod
It also doesn't look like the 1990s

Also bustr, I fail to see how once outside the render distance (14 miles) how that would effect rendering speed.

EDIT: I also think its funny you say "600 player arenas" where for the most part its hard pressed to ever get over 200.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:26:35 PM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
Waa, why won't you do it like the other guys Hitech. Is not constructive criticism. Nor is looky at what the other guys can do and I'll rub this in your face any time you post your outdated graphics to show me what you are doing for me lately. Constructive criticism assumed room temp along with Elvis a long time ago. Now it's shades of Occupy Wall street until you get what you want or else.......

There is a disconnect between the waa'ers and what has to be sacrificed to make this game work and probably not loose it's 80% who pay the light bill. Otherwise the waa'ers are accusing Hitech of something by continuously poking him in the eye over any changes he makes but the ones they have decided will make them happy, without knowing how this game works.

I suspect you don't know how this simulation works and are attempting to wing it based on casual observation as a player and not the programmers. Posting pretty pictures does not enlighten anyone to the motors under the hood and their differences.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2015, 09:11:34 PM »
Bustr, look how comparable this screen shot is to what HTC is offering. This is from 2006!

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »
Ww2 cockpits aren't that detailed. You can only do so much.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2015, 01:11:13 AM »
Oh I completely forgot constructive criticism was not allowed here. 600 players in one arena? Planet side 2 has up to 2000 players in one arena and it doesn't look like its from the 1990s

And it also bogs down into a slide show when there is a medium to large size battle taking place.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2015, 06:39:55 AM »
And it also bogs down into a slide show when there is a medium to large size battle taking place.

Battle? AFAIK that was/is an addon to FS2004.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »
Ww2 cockpits aren't that detailed. You can only do so much.

uwotm8?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »
HTC should just hire half a dozen Thai artists to overhaul all the old models.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:09:03 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2015, 08:53:50 AM »
@Skuzzy

What exactly is the difference between the two version. I see that glass has been added to some gauges. Looks like there may be a specular map added as well.

I like the way the colour gradient changes in the sky.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:56:47 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »
Haven't played much of Warthunder, but I think DCS gets away with their beautiful cockpits by sacrificing ground texture.  I've flown low and slow in DCS and a lot the ground looks like MSFS circa 1996. 

I'd also point out that the differences between what we have now and what's in the alpha are hard to tell from a screenshot, but much more apparent when you're actually in game.   
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-