Author Topic: Sqaud Insignia  (Read 4292 times)

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Sqaud Insignia
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:33 AM »
Sounds like someone needs to come get owned more in the MA lmao.

What is this dude even talking about??

BTW... I think the squad logo is cool, and would be especially sweet as a nose art. I like the sheild, but with or without it is cool to me.

It kind of  reminds me of the off famous Kony that people use to chant against. Or some kind of African (I take over world) tribe's symbol .

Thanks man :aok

You guys think having "Sloppy" on both the shield and the Hat is abit redundant?
See Rule #4

Offline master80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
Thanks man :aok

You guys think having "Sloppy" on both the shield and the Hat is abit redundant?
Yes, I think it would be better if you just put sloppy on the shield and kept the hat clean.
~242nd Sloppy Terminators~
huh what happened

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
Ill Keep the Hat Clean only if it ends up in the Sheild, haven't decided yet.
See Rule #4

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
The Bug still being bugged by spelling.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »
That instructional post from 2009 points out the nose art file ultimately is an 8bit, Indexed bitmap. Aside from the mask color of 176,176,176 (B0B0B0) the OP recommends using only 4 colors max for the nose art. He makes an assumption his audience knows how to access and manipulate the index for an 8bit indexed BMP file.

His observation that other programs change the color value of the background mask is one I run into with gunsights. I end up building the 8bit RGB gunsight in one program like paint.net. Import it to photoshop to pull it's index. Then create a new 8bit indexed magenta masked file which I load the index I saved from the RGB file. I set the 255 bit box to ff00ff. Then use the magic picker to copy only the reticle from the RGB file and paste to the new 8bit indexed file and save.

Did Hitech update the mask so it responds to RGB 8bit and 8bit indexed bitmap files? Or 8bit indexed only? I've never tried it but, can you make yourself a squad offline and drop your test file into the squads folder and see it offline for testing purposes?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
You being a dick doesn't quite make the game any better either.  :aok

Actually, I like it that he tells it like he sees it.  eff all the "niceties and PC". 
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »

Actually, I like it that he tells it like he sees it.  eff all the "niceties and PC".

Well, "technically" I have to agree with what he said. He didn't say it very "politically", but he isn't wrong either.

He said....

"I don't like you because you come across as one of many who in my opinion has destroyed the soul of this game(and those like it) from what I remember of it many years ago.  I don't think you do it maliciously, and I don't fault you, but I can't help from not liking you.  Plus you misspelled squad. "

To me, I believe we use to have a lot of players that played this game to pretend that they were WWII pilots, and all that came with that. Most of us were in squads. We met at least one night a week for "squad night", many did two nights. A weeknight for most of the squad, and a weekend for those outside the general time zones, or for a nice long party night. Many had a rank system and had their own ways/rules to earn promotions. Many had "practice night" as one night a month on their squad night to work on different missions, tactics, wingman practices as well as training for different aspects of the game. Some had news letters and elaborate websites that were maintained weekly/monthly updating promotions, squad news personal and in game. Many players met at airshows, museums, or just talked on the phone. Squads were more than just friends, they were extensions of your family.

Squad nights were getting together at a prearranged time to play out the missions. Yes MISSIONS. Most squads a a number of mission planes that used different equipment, ran certain routes so that the right equipment arrived at the right times. I know of a number of people who would take the time to figure how long and at what manifold pressure setting a buff could climb to a certain height, how long at level flight did it take to cross the 25 mile grid, as well as the diagonal crossing too. It wasn't math, they flew the routes to know what these timings were. Missions were planned around those timings. It was always a blast to fly your route and about the time you were to rendezvous with the buff wing that took off 20 minutes before your fighter group you see that large smudge off in the distance that slowly turns into a group of friendly buffs looking for their little friends to guide them in over the hot spot.

Some missions were feints, just a few guys flying off to draw defenders away from a target, getting to engage only once the enemy found out they were duped. Others were to take away their ords, or other porking missions, or to have 3 guys deack a base then leave only to have a half dozen guys show up 15 minutes later to flatten the town and grab the field because the defender didn't react quick enough thinking it was  and few guys looking to vulch.   

To say it simply, we were really "into it!".  :D

Today's players are nothing like that, and I think that is the "soul" The Bug is talking about. Todays players only want the biggest baddest ride, with the best guns.

They only want to learn that one maneuver that will guarantee them the kill on the first pass, or enough friends winging with them so that if they miss/screw up its not an issue because someone else will get them.

Tactics? Just a word they hear now and then, most wouldn't bother Googling it to find out what it means.

Missions? Thats 50 guys heading to the same base to flatten everything so they can take it. After all they have no plan on using the base once they get it any way, its just one more base for the total.

Plan?  LOL!!!! To quote the Joker, "Plans? I'm like a dog chasing a car! I wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught it!" The only plan they have is "win the war"

This game use to be like those old movies, Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17, Flying Leathernecks, Three Came Home, The Desert Rats that romanticized the war, had all that great battle and action flying against the enemy. You wanted to be like them and in this game you could.

Now the game has almost none of that. We have lots of squads, but very few I see have "squad nights". missions are hordes, and it is pretty much the same mission over and over again. To most of the players we have these days it doesn't matter whether they are flying a pony, or an X-wing, as long as it has the biggest punch and gets them there the quickest.

The sanctity of what this game use to be is disappearing and it's the newer players that are pushing it away. Is it a bad thing? To me and others like The Bug, maybe. It certainly is an evolution of a sorts and only time will tell if it has gone in a good direction. I've been here since Tour 11, I think I'll stick around a bit longer to see how it goes, but I sure do miss those old days when we use to play war. 

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
Glzz and his squad remind me of the 'Knights Who Say Ni' who used to fly in here a long time ago. They didn't take themselves too seriously and that jovial and humble attitude is severely lacking in Aces High today. To accentuate the point, they pride themselves on flying P39s and generally die terribly quick deaths in them. Heck, SAPP was originally created to foster this attitude and never took the game seriously.

Would you rather have them fly 190D9s and proclaim their ability on channel 200, the forums and twitch (sometimes all at the same time)?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »
Today's players are nothing like that, and I think that is the "soul" The Bug is talking about. Todays players only want the biggest baddest ride, with the best guns.

They only want to learn that one maneuver that will guarantee them the kill on the first pass, or enough friends winging with them so that if they miss/screw up its not an issue because someone else will get them.

Tactics? Just a word they hear now and then, most wouldn't bother Googling it to find out what it means.

Missions? Thats 50 guys heading to the same base to flatten everything so they can take it. After all they have no plan on using the base once they get it any way, its just one more base for the total.

Plan?  LOL!!!! To quote the Joker, "Plans? I'm like a dog chasing a car! I wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught it!" The only plan they have is "win the war"

This game use to be like those old movies, Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17, Flying Leathernecks, Three Came Home, The Desert Rats that romanticized the war, had all that great battle and action flying against the enemy. You wanted to be like them and in this game you could.

Now the game has almost none of that. We have lots of squads, but very few I see have "squad nights". missions are hordes, and it is pretty much the same mission over and over again. To most of the players we have these days it doesn't matter whether they are flying a pony, or an X-wing, as long as it has the biggest punch and gets them there the quickest.

The sanctity of what this game use to be is disappearing and it's the newer players that are pushing it away. Is it a bad thing? To me and others like The Bug, maybe. It certainly is an evolution of a sorts and only time will tell if it has gone in a good direction. I've been here since Tour 11, I think I'll stick around a bit longer to see how it goes, but I sure do miss those old days when we use to play war.

I go back at least as far as you do, and I disagree.  While the younger players today often lack the historical background knowledge, and corresponding interest, that we had, I haven't noticed a significant change in the number of them willing to fight.  Some of our best and most combative sticks - Batfink, Joachim, TonyJoey - are young guys.  Some of the self-confessed F3 players and bomb-and-bailers are old guys.  And I'm not the only one flying 202s and Tonys and F4F-3s.

Where I DO see a difference is in the ganging and the emphasis on getting a kill in any possible way, but I may be wrong even there.

- oldman (Heck, I can remember people bailing when I was closing with them back in AW in 1995) (And do you remember all the threads from Long Ago about people who would follow your kill down to the ground putting bullets into it so they could get the kill?)

Offline master80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
Glzz and his squad remind me of the 'Knights Who Say Ni' who used to fly in here a long time ago. They didn't take themselves too seriously and that jovial and humble attitude is severely lacking in Aces High today. To accentuate the point, they pride themselves on flying P39s and generally die terribly quick deaths in them. Heck, SAPP was originally created to foster this attitude and never took the game seriously.

Would you rather have them fly 190D9s and proclaim their ability on channel 200, the forums and twitch (sometimes all at the same time)?
Thank you, well said.

All in all we're just here to have fun, so we're having fun in our own way!  :grin:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:00:40 PM by master80 »
~242nd Sloppy Terminators~
huh what happened

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 09:57:15 PM »
Deliruim pretty much nailed the hammer on the head :D

I think this might be as good as its gonna get
See Rule #4

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
Do you want me to gimp that one up or are you going to add the shield?
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 10:41:35 PM »
I'm gonna see if I can add a ring around it and maybe make the skull look a little more metallic.

Any photo shop junkies have any suggestions for tackling the skull?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:45:20 PM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
I'm gonna see if I can add a ring around it and maybe make the skull look a little more metallic.

Cool, but remember the bigger you make it the smaller that text is going to get in the long run. I just checked it out, its already hardly readable at all. Just something to keep in mind. :aok
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »

If you don'tind waiting until morning, I can give yoy the rundown of how I go about doing it. I just don't feel like getting that wordy while I'm on moble.