Author Topic: Stolen Valor  (Read 1971 times)

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Stolen Valor
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »
I know there a lot of military vets here and i was wondering if you know of someone who is commiting stolen valor here would you ..

A. Call him/her out with the proof you have.

B. PM and give the proof

c. Ignore it and let him hang him/herself out.

Also do you pm Skuzzy to have certain sig phrases deleted???

Opinions...comments..

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Stolen Valor
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
You forgot D. You don't give a toejam because your occupation has never been your identity or a source of self validation and you cringe with embarrasement for both those who wrap themselves in their DD 214s and those wannabes who gnaw at your codpiece with salivating adulation.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
^ Sig material!  :rofl

Seriously though, I'd call him out.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
8 Ways to Spot A Phony

By Laura Bailey, Times Staff Writer

Wannabe war heroes aren't just the guys at bars telling tall tales about their glory days as a Navy SEAL or recon Marine. Impostor veterans infiltrate unit reunions, military events and even funerals. Most are former military members beefing up their image with employers and friends. Some are active-duty service members trying to get an edge at promotion boards. Some have never even seen the inside of a military base.

So the odds are you'll run into a faker at some point. But how can you tell for sure? If you think someone is an impostor, usually your first instinct is accurate, said FBI Special Agent Thomas A. Cottone Jr., the bureau's lead agent on medals fraud cases.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," he said.

Medal of Honor impostors are the easiest to expose because there are few living members and they maintain a tight network, Cottone said. There are only 130 living recipients, according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, which maintains a complete online list of recipients that can be checked to verify a suspicious story.

An independent investigator of phony veterans, B.G. "Jug" Burkett, said the men who impersonate war heroes gain from it personally and professionally. Burkett, author of the book "Stolen Valor," says the con often begins when a military member leaves or changes services. Once they're no longer with their peer group it becomes easier to lie, Burkett said. If they have doctored their records, their new peers don't bother to check them, he said.

The crime usually starts small, he said, typically beginning with tall tales at a social event. It often escalates when the story teller gets stuck in the lie, so he continues making up details to support the original lie. Then he might continue from there once he sees the benefit of the lie. The community might take him and make him the local war hero, for example.

"It's like knowing a sports hero," Burkett said. "Suddenly he's feeling better about himself. He's getting treated better." But medal fraud hunters are out to ruin those good feelings. They have special ways to decipher whether someone is the real deal, and while they wouldn't share all their tricks of the trade, they did disclose a few that you can use to help ferret out a phony.

1.    Sketchy records. When asked to verify details of their military record, phonies often say they didn't go through the normal military channels, said Mike Sandborn, an FBI special agent and former Marine captain who works medals fraud cases. Sandborn said phonies will often say they were in high demand by the military and weren't required to go through the normal training.

2.    Appearance matters. Impostors put on pretty lousy impersonations. They're often out of shape or have a "slovenly appearance in uniform," Sandborn said. If they look like "50 pounds of pork shoved into a 10-pound sack," Sandborn said, they're probably an impostor.

3.    Top secret? Probably not. A phony often will say details of his career exploits are classified. But even with awards for classified actions, ceremonies are never top secret. Veterans claiming to have received an award should be able to produce an order granting it no matter how secretive the action.

4.    "My dog ate it." Phonies often say their military documents were destroyed in a fire or some similar disaster.

5.    Watch that rack. Check their decorations; phonies often wear medals in the wrong order or in disproportion to their time in service.

6.    Check the birth date. When it comes to the Medal of Honor, age matters. According to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, the youngest living recipient is    53-year-old Gordon R. Roberts. "If you see a young kid wearing a Medal of Honor, he's impersonating," said Gary Littrell, president of the society.

7.    Just ask. Don't be afraid to test someone if you think they're faking, FBI agents say. If they're legit, they won't mind if you ask questions, Cottone said. Highly decorated veterans usually are very modest and rarely draw attention to their accomplishments; impostors love to boast. Sandborn cautioned troops to remember that "true heroism is like a river - the deeper it runs, the quieter it is."

8.    Surf the Web. Still not sure? Check out the online databases of information about both real and phony war heroes. The site www.homeofheroes.com has a confidential online "bust a phony" form. Information submitted is turned over to the FBI. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society maintains a list of living MOH award recipients at www.cmohs.org. Also, www.pownetwork.org maintains a list of phony veterans.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/herobill/News/cottone.htm

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 04:33:07 PM »
There is currently someone in game doing it, claiming to be an A-10 "Pig" pilot for the Louisiana ANG.  When I called him out, he refused to provide any proof other than telling me to give him my phone number and friend him on Facebook so he could have his "squadron mates" and "Senior" (whoever that is supposed to be) set me straight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
There is a difference between stolen valor, and speaking of false service. Valorous awards are awards given for valorous acts Aka Bronze Star with valor device, Medal of Honor....Telling a lie about what you did in/for the service aka wearing a Ranger tab without ever going to Ranger School...well it's just a lie and a bit pathetic. It's not Valor, you need a Valorous situation to earn a valorous award aka pulling another Soldier from a burning MRAP, most people who do lie and steal valor wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to handle such a situation. To forget about oneself in order to save anothers.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
There is currently someone in game doing it, claiming to be an A-10 "Pig" pilot for the Louisiana ANG.  When I called him out, he refused to provide any proof other than telling me to give him my phone number and friend him on Facebook so he could have his "squadron mates" and "Senior" (whoever that is supposed to be) set me straight.

ack-ack

Is he the one who has a A-10 in his sig?
See Rule #4

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »
Is he the one who has a A-10 in his sig?
Are you referencing me?

If so, I'd never do anything of the sort. I'm just another college kid, I'm no Pig pilot.

Ack-Ack, the guy you're talking to isn't me, if your in suspicion of it being me.
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »
Are you referencing me?

If so, I'd never do anything of the sort. I'm just another college kid, I'm no Pig pilot.

Ack-Ack, the guy you're talking to isn't me, if your in suspicion of it being me.

You're not TheShrap.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »
Ok I didn't think so. Kippy is a poser in a completely different way  :neener:

JK, hes cool
See Rule #4

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 02:44:34 AM »
  As a 20+yr USAF Retiree, I don't care unless the faker is wearing a uniform and/or using the B.S. for personal (monetary) gain.  Otherwise big deal, chances are they aren't right and need psychiatric help anyway.  I knew dudes IN the military that would use the old "I'm a Viper Pilot" line at a bar... they were just horny friggin morons.  Besides, if she's that easy she deserves what she gets!  :airplane:
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »
Ive know quite a few that have faked former lives in the service. If they dont go all the way and say they were spec Ops they almost always say they are ex-marines. I can tell after 3 mins if they were ever in any military service, and a few have spent quite a bit of time researching their mystery life.

This all started after military service became all the rage again. Lol I hate to say it but this happens in Police Dept.'s also and probably other jobs like it. Wearing false decorations, claiming past service, telling BS war stories. Thats why I never tell war storys or wear decorations. Many of which are given for Political connections.

I knew a guy who had built a past in the Marines and as a MC racer that was so convincing even skeptics like me believed it. He claimed he was a 32yo unemployed doosh living with Mommie cause he got injured in a race. But he believed this fantasy past so much even we believed it. Most of the time we just dont care when we hear this crap.

People can be pretty strange. I think I would draw a line when it came to wearing uniforms or insignia and certainly License plates. Report them and its pretty easy for their DD-214 to be checked on.

I know there a lot of military vets here and i was wondering if you know of someone who is commiting stolen valor here would you ..

A. Call him/her out with the proof you have.

B. PM and give the proof

c. Ignore it and let him hang him/herself out.

Also do you pm Skuzzy to have certain sig phrases deleted???

Opinions...comments..

LawnDart
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
you had me at 32 year old doosh, you had me there...
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
What about George Kastanza who always claimed he was an architect?  But then one time he claimed he was a marine biologist.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:43 PM »