Author Topic: Game play history question  (Read 572 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Game play history question
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
The thread a while ago about the long GV penetration and shelling of one country's HQ got me wondering about daring missions.

Who is responsible for the deepest smash-and-grab base taking operation that has occurred in the game?   What are the details of the OP, the planes used, the numbers involved, and what happened afterward?  Did you regroup, reload and leap frog to another base?  Or did the base get retaken quickly?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Game play history question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:53:37 PM »
Sounds like you are talking about any number of Alamo mission runs to take a base deep and then defend against all comers.  They were good fun if you could pull it off :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
Didn't the Muppets and the 80th join up and  run one of those way back when?
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »
SAPP ran a few and held the base for a bit. Some great battles doing that.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
Didn't the Muppets and the 80th join up and  run one of those way back when?

:rock

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:12 AM »
too many to count. JG44 nighthawks did this all the time back in the day. Jayro has lead several, FB$, 49rs, SAPP, the list seems endless.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline TopGear

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:42:03 AM »
I remember hearing of a near successful deep base take, except the goon dropped supplies not troops.   :rofl

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:44:56 AM »
did that goon happen to be 49Merlin? he dropped veh supplies not too long ago on a gv base sneak.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »
Is it done as a horde generally?  Or is it planned with more finesses, is goons separately on a secret route, a large group sent as a diversion somewhere else, etc?

Too funny abt the goons dropping supplies instead of troops. Doh!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:49:15 AM »
Before the current strat system, there use to be a GV spawn to HQ.  My squad flew NOE many, many sectors (when NOE was easier), and took the Vbase, then upped tanks and took out HQ.  The base didn't stay ours long, but we were able to take down HQ, and get a picture of all of us tanks sitting there next to the burning HQ. 

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
Before the current strat system, there use to be a GV spawn to HQ.  My squad flew NOE many, many sectors (when NOE was easier), and took the Vbase, then upped tanks and took out HQ.  The base didn't stay ours long, but we were able to take down HQ, and get a picture of all of us tanks sitting there next to the burning HQ.

Great story!

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »
FB's just the other week snuck a vehicle base far back of the front, and initiated a GV assault on an airfield as a distraction for our real objective.

The beauty of it was this; if they didn't commit significant effort to defend, we would take the airfield almost intact, and go hog wild in their rear, as it was the only airfield for a few sectors. But because they were heavily engaged at the main bases at the front, they couldn't let up or we'd go hog wild on the front.

They ended up defending like mad once the first FB went down, and we took something like 6 bases in half an hour on the front.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
I remember a few years back I joined a FB GV fun run mission to take a Bish base, dont remember how deep the base was but it took and hour or so to get there in a M8.  When we got into town and started hitting it, a Rook mission started to hit the base and  furball over the base, we dropped town very quietly and snagged the base out from under them.... it was funny as heck to see the auto ack pop up and wipe them all out in seconds.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »
We do excel at asymmetric warfare and special operations  :noid.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 11:36:39 PM »
typically goon is secret or M3 is secret. and its very methodical with a moderate success rate as far as ours go in the 49th.