Author Topic: A Modest Proposal to Fix Gameplay  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: A Modest Proposal to Fix Gameplay
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
And exactly how are you going to create a 2 or 4 sided arena?

HiTech

If I may...the "committee" would like YOU to coad the user interface so that they, "the committee", could create arenas.  In exchange for the control of gameplay design, they'd like to purchase a server from you.  Dale, could you spare a server for the "committee"? 

Thank you.  The End.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
I would have made changes long ago but The code was frozen long ago current AH release. And hence what would be a simple change under normal conditions now is not doable.

HiTech

Wait, are you saying you designed a game you can no longer control/make changes or are you saying you no longer have the time to control/make changes?
- TWBYDHAS

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
If I may...the "committee" would like YOU to coad the user interface so that they, "the committee", could create arenas.  In exchange for the control of gameplay design, they'd like to purchase a server from you.  Dale, could you spare a server for the "committee"? 

Thank you.  The End.

hold on, you arent listening.  they're giving hitech 1/2 a million dollars so he can host a server that they can change at will based on who put up the most money so the rest of us wont play in it because we will stay in the ma.

hitech, that's enough for you to buy another airplane, out of curiosity which one will it be?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
hold on, you arent listening.  they're giving hitech 1/2 a million dollars so he can host a server that they can change at will based on who put up the most money so the rest of us wont play in it because we will stay in the ma.

hitech, that's enough for you to buy another airplane, out of curiosity which one will it be?

semp

So Hitech gets half a mil, gives up a server to the Illuminati of AH, and still has to coad stuff for them?  Baaaah

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
So Hitech gets half a mil, gives up a server to the Illuminati of AH, and still has to coad stuff for them?  Baaaah

no he gives control of that  server to the iluminati and them 3 guys can play alone happy with all the changes they want :).

I remember when I was in high school back in '84.  we used to play games in the school's appleIIc.  we could, in all the games get into the code and change it so we could get more points or whatever.  there was just one problem with it.  there was never anybody around to give us a high five :bhead.

semp

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
Wait, are you saying you designed a game you can no longer control/make changes or are you saying you no longer have the time to control/make changes?

LOL!!! No, he can't make changes while running the "alpha testing" Once that is done he can make changes again.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2015, 08:20:53 PM »
no he gives control of that  server to the iluminati and them 3 guys can play alone happy with all the changes they want :).

I remember when I was in high school back in '84.  we used to play games in the school's appleIIc.  we could, in all the games get into the code and change it so we could get more points or whatever.  there was just one problem with it.  there was never anybody around to give us a high five :bhead.

semp

The OP said that would be the new MA. 

Dale, don't give them a server...sell it to them.  Make that part of the deal.  half a mil PLUS a used server. 

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
the AVA is advertised on the BBS in the general forum, the AVA forum and when I remember, the facebook page. last week we had 18 players including guys id never ever seen in the AVA. it was well setup, there wasn't a lot of complaining and I think for the most part, it was well received and lots of fun.

now about running a server, Myself and the AVA staff have the privilege of being able to set up the AVA any way we like.
we've asked people to suggest stuff and tell us what they would like to see and we do it. if you have a good idea, lets hear it.

USAFCAPcTSgt  seems to want to buy the server and wants to control things thinking that will fix the gameplay...Really?!

in the AVA and in the FSO you can set up the arena, make the conditions, but that never controls the gameplay....ever!

it is what it is. large group goes on the attack, you get mad that you cant fight them. hey lets buy the server and then we can control the game play.. so what do you do??
the committee rules no more hording! ok lets boot all the players from POTW out! or the sk's or JG11, take your pick. ok so now you got rid of hording. now you're looking to
organize an attack to capture a base... but wait, that's hording... you get ejected. oh that worked out well!! whats next for the committee... I know, no more boom and zooming!
lets kick out ack-ack and shuffler!! that's it get rid of them, now its even better gameplay.... oh but wait, theres no one left..... guess you'll just end up Playing with yourself...... in more ways then one!

let the developer develop! help the game by encouraging good behavior... lead by example! help the AVA, join the FSO, hell ask to get on the staff and find out what it takes!
find out what you can and cant do. I always tell the new Admins in the AVA to mess with the custom arena's.... if you cant do it in there, you cant do it in the game...

so run things by committee and kill the game! yay, no thanks, anytime you put that much testosterone together nothing ever gets accomplished! leave it to HTC and the gang and just help them when they need it. that's how you make the gameplay better!

<S> ......carry on!!

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »
All of us at the AvA are trying hard to make it a fun and Flyable place..

I for one appreciate the work that you do.  My problem is simply timing.  The time normally doesn't work for me, and there really isn't anything you can do to change that.

I will take another look at the scenarios.  Some of this stuff looks like a lot of fun, if I can work the time out.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
it is what it is. large group goes on the attack, you get mad that you cant fight them. hey lets buy the server and then we can control the game play.. so what do you do??
the committee rules no more hording! ok lets boot all the players from POTW out! or the sk's or JG11, take your pick. ok so now you got rid of hording. now you're looking to
organize an attack to capture a base... but wait, that's hording... you get ejected. oh that worked out well!! whats next for the committee... I know, no more boom and zooming!
lets kick out ack-ack and shuffler!! that's it get rid of them, now its even better gameplay.... oh but wait, theres no one left..... guess you'll just end up Playing with yourself...... in more ways then one!

let the developer develop! help the game by encouraging good behavior... lead by example! help the AVA, join the FSO, hell ask to get on the staff and find out what it takes!
find out what you can and cant do. I always tell the new Admins in the AVA to mess with the custom arena's.... if you cant do it in there, you cant do it in the game...

so run things by committee and kill the game! yay, no thanks, anytime you put that much testosterone together nothing ever gets accomplished! leave it to HTC and the gang and just help them when they need it. that's how you make the gameplay better!

I see someone forgot to give Jaeger his shot.  Any of you who live in the Boston area should probably dial 911, before he gets too far from home.

AH3 is going into Beta soon, and that's wonderful news.  In the meantime, if you want to have AvA work, PM some of your friends in the LW or MW or DA arenas that you're headed to AvA, and see if they follow.  It really only takes two or three people to prime the pump.

- oldman

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
mongoose,give me a time that would work. I have been trying to get something going for our friends across the pond. Im sure we can work it out!!=
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
A modest  proposal would be asking for private servers.   Committees need parliamentary procedure and that is never modest .   I'm not sure how popular it would be here,  but privately owned servers are pretty common in other games.  Those servers usually pop up in games where the devs  can't or won't set up their own servers or the demand for online content is so great that many servers are needed.   We're in the hole 0 and 2 and haven't even discussed the money involved in building/renting a server and keeping up with the technical stuff that would inevitably pop up.

I mean,  I'd be all for it if it made sense...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:08:50 PM by Triton28 »
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2015, 11:46:34 PM »
LOL!!! No, he can't make changes while running the "alpha testing" Once that is done he can make changes again.

I thought we were talking the game of now.. Not the game of the future?  :headscratch:
- TWBYDHAS

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2015, 01:01:44 AM »
I thought we were talking the game of now.. Not the game of the future?  :headscratch:

we are, no point in wasting resources to change the game as it is now when it's already changed how it's gonna be in the next generation.

semp

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »
we are, no point in wasting resources to change the game as it is now when it's already changed how it's gonna be in the next generation.

semp

Nothing as petty as that. From what I understand,  making changes now could corrupt the alpha setup.  Seeing as they are working the bugs out in the alpha there is no sense taking the chance of adding bugs in by changing things in the game.