Author Topic: tower etiquette?  (Read 5615 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
tower etiquette?
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:40:21 AM »
Ok
I don't gripe (usually), but this sort of bothers me. Last Friday in this particular example, but happens really Quite often. I know being a one country loyal player exists And a lot of side swappers are out there, so here's the problem. Friday we were getting pushed hard by rooks and they just about had us 2 to 1. Thing is, that was just on roster counts. Thus no eny for rooks as we had 33 guys in the tower,and were there a long time. Is it too much to ask that you logout? I mean it only takes a few seconds to log back in. Rooks were flying any thing they wanted and without the tower guys, we would have given them a pretty high eny. It was needed as we were so out numbered. All I can say is, that maybe you could play with the countries interest to heart? some folk like not be out manned, and cant hold bases if red guys can be scattered(isure do love scattering red guys, hah)  all over attacking.  I am not saying I  want to change your style of play, as its about having fun any which way you can. So just asking for some thought for other players. Ok sorry for the extended post but I needed to really explain my point. Thanks for your patients with the reading of this.

"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: tower etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »
Ok
I don't gripe (usually), but this sort of bothers me. Last Friday in this particular example, but happens really Quite often. I know being a one country loyal player exists And a lot of side swappers are out there, so here's the problem. Friday we were getting pushed hard by rooks and they just about had us 2 to 1. Thing is, that was just on roster counts. Thus no eny for rooks as we had 33 guys in the tower,and were there a long time. Is it too much to ask that you logout? I mean it only takes a few seconds to log back in. Rooks were flying any thing they wanted and without the tower guys, we would have given them a pretty high eny. It was needed as we were so out numbered. All I can say is, that maybe you could play with the countries interest to heart? some folk like not be out manned, and cant hold bases if red guys can be scattered(isure do love scattering red guys, hah)  all over attacking.  I am not saying I  want to change your style of play, as its about having fun any which way you can. So just asking for some thought for other players. Ok sorry for the extended post but I needed to really explain my point. Thanks for your patients with the reading of this.

ENY should be counted only from players who are 'in flight'. Counting towered players is not beneficial to anyone.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:52:36 AM »
A very large percentage of players never post on bbs so I would imagine nearly as many don't read it. To them (and me) it's just a game. We log in for fun when we have the time. Sometimes we get pulled away mid game. sometimes for a minute but then it gets longer. This happened to me on Friday night. I went away for ten minutes and returned after three hours, logged off and went to sleep.
You just have to roll with it. I've been on plenty with eny in both directions and always found something I wanted to fly that would help in the situation I was in. I have no doubt they would have done the same and rolled you in p40's. Eny barely slows the horde.
I would bet that somewhere else on the map at that exact moment, your lower numbers side had a green blob at some base. It is what it is. Just enjoy it your way and don't allow other's game play to influence your's.

:aok
 :salute

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 07:11:24 AM »
I would like to bet that those '33' players in the tower are not the same ones the whole time!  At any one time there may be approximately the same number of people in the tower, as flights end and begin again.  However many are in the arena, a certain percentage are always going to be in the tower at one time or another.  Stop looking for excuses and just enjoy the game!    :old:
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »
Sorry to say but you will get 2000 reasons not to change the eny system, and 10 to do so. So until the owner of this sand box we use changes it we are stuck with it and yes it does suck :bhead
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 09:27:41 AM »
Really right now the only way to clear the tower of these sitters is to reset the arena.

The rules are not going to be changed regarding ejecting tower sitters.

Everyone jump over to the country with the least amount of tower sitters and win the war.

Tower sitters will be ejected and a majority of them denied war win points.

ENY will be more accurate for hopefully the rest of the night.

In order for this to work the "change sides" rule will have to be modified.

(I know this isn't a logical solution, but coming up with one hasn't been done yet anyway so flame on!)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:54:48 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Nothing will ever be done abut this.

From a technical stand point, for every way someone comes up with to take the tower sitters out of the equation there are a number of ways "around" the proposals to make them useless.

Hitech says it all averages out so it isn't worth making any changes.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,362537.msg4823819.html#msg4823819

Drane's suggestion, while drastic and unlikely to happen (everyone working together that much to clear a map just to fix ENY?) is about the only option. Either that or players could take it upon themselves to show a little class and NOT be a tower sitter. I think Dranes suggestion has a better chance of working  :devil

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
All the "everyone should play the game the way I want them to, so it makes it easier on me" people makes it easier for me to stay away from the game. I even had to concede and respect Skyyr's method of fighting, because ultimately it's his dime and as long as he's not cheating or gaming the game( which he doesn't) he can do it the way he wants.
It's utterly ridiculous to keep complaining about things that don't need to be changed. Reset the map just because there are people in the tower and you can't fly you low ENY plane? BAH! Play or quit. Those who continually BMW(b**tch, moan and whine) need to get a life. They make the game MUCH more unpleasant than those who are in the tower.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
SNIP: All the "everyone should play the game the way I want them to, so it makes it easier on me" people makes it easier for me to stay away from the game....

And yet, what you complain about is exactly what many inactive tower sitters are doing to the active players just to get war win points.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
BMW(b**tch, moan and whine) text

Maybe you should reread the OPs post. He said nothing about having a problem with ENY on his side. Par flies higher ENY planes the majority of the time.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
And yet, what you complain about is exactly what many inactive tower sitters are doing to the active players just to get war win points.
Do you have definitive proof of that? There's a post previous to yours that explains exactly why some( and probably MOST) end up parked in the tower.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »
Maybe you should reread the OPs post. He said nothing about having a problem with ENY on his side. Par flies higher ENY planes the majority of the time.
Maybe YOu should reread the OP. "Rooks were flying any thing they wanted and without the tower guys, we would have given them a pretty high eny." So it's ok as long as the high ENY is on the other teams' sides, I guess.....

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
If ENY was only calculated for players "in flight", then you'd see a huge number of people waiting in the tower so the ENY disappears, then they all launch a huge horde of uber planes...at which point the ENY would spike. How is that more fair than it is now?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
Do you have definitive proof of that? There's a post previous to yours that explains exactly why some( and probably MOST) end up parked in the tower.

Do you really think most players that sit in the tower just for war win points are going to admit to it? Obviously what jeep00 said about players accidentally sitting in the tower occurs, but those players most likely wouldn't mind being ejected anyway.

I've seen some very emotional comments about how people will quit if inactive players are ejected (similar to this...) "I worked 12 hours to get us near victory, I damn well better get those points if we win!"

What's the point in listing any proof I may have? HiTech already said he's not going to do anything about it.

That leaves it up to players to take action to remedy the situation.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:21:52 AM by Drane »

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »
The absolute answer to this "problem" is to quit complaining about the game, and either quit or play. Ultimately the pleasure you derive from the game is up to you, not anyone else. It's so darned tiresome to see so many people who are playing a GAME complain about someone else. If you're not having fun, it's up to you to find a way to, or STOP PLAYING. The game will go on without you, I promise.