Author Topic: Is that a missile in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Re: Is that a missile in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCjOakOMKE

I did grow found of the 1800 over the years, the lines grew on me. The Alfa Widewing posted is off course highly sought after because it can do so much more. PR3D4TOR, here's Petrolicious episode on the 1800: :aok

Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »
 :aok
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
They say Volvo is built like a tank so it's only fitting to have a missile on it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
Volvo's P1800 was and still is their one truly stylish car. Performance was tepid, but it was an attractive car. You gents did hear that reference to the "tractor engines", right?

Beginning with the 140 series, Volvo's began a decades long tradition of looking like the box they were shipped in.....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:34:41 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »
Volvo's P1800 was and still is their one truly stylish car. Performance was tepid, but it was an attractive car. You gents did hear that reference to the "tractor engines", right?

Beginning with the 140 series, Volvo's began a decades long tradition of looking like the box they were shipped in.....

Tractor engines ... tell me about it, I drive a Triumph.  :P
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 10:41:51 PM »
wow that top pic....friggen car looks damn cool :aok

(I thought so, too. Don't tell WW.  ;))

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:51 PM »
That black G-ride Volvo has BMW 3.0 CSL flavor.  :cool:
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 12:25:26 AM »

It's funny you should say that, because that 1970 Alfa GT Veloce you'd rather have back on page one has a 1.8L, 120 hp four-banger. :) The 1970 Volvo 1800 has a 2.0L, 130 hp four-banger with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection. Sure, it may look like a tractor engine to us looking back at it from 45 years in the future, but it was a damn good engine back then. It produces more power than the 3.3L inline six that you'd find in a low-end 1970 Ford Mustang. You would need one of the exotic Italian clockwork V12's to beat it in power per liter back then. Back then even the 1970 Porsche 911's 2.2L flat six only developed 123 hp without forced induction.

Here's a Volvo B20 engine modernized for rally driving. It produces 205 hp without forced induction, and they can easily be turboed to 500+ hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh96cQVOI4M

Here's a beautiful turboed Volvo Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-LUVC3v5Y

Here's a 560 hp Volvo 142.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xH4EcRs9XE

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 02:31:28 AM »
damn rednecks, show them a picture of a missile in a car.  then they start talking about nothing except the car :rofl :rofl :rofl

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 03:03:49 AM »
damn rednecks, show them a picture of a missile in a car.  then they start talking about nothing except the car :rofl :rofl :rofl

Yeah... especially when we are talking on quite a remarkable missile Shafrir II. Historically it had around 50% of hit rate scoring 89 kills during Yom Kippur War quite a remarkable achievement. It kill rate was little bit higher that Sidewinder IAF had during this period, also it was mostly considered a result of better training with Shafrir II keeping it withing operational envelope.

What is more interesting is that its predecessor Shafrir I was a horrible missile that didn't get even a single kill during 1967 Six Day War.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 03:34:05 AM »
(I thought so, too. Don't tell WW.  ;))

:rofl

thats all right I have to make sure non of my MOPAR buddies ever see my post :uhoh

:D

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 04:00:47 AM »
"Here comes the Volvo lover..." Everybody looks at Ink.  :uhoh

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
It's funny you should say that, because that 1970 Alfa GT Veloce you'd rather have back on page one has a 1.8L, 120 hp four-banger. :) The 1970 Volvo 1800 has a 2.0L, 130 hp four-banger with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection. Sure, it may look like a tractor engine to us looking back at it from 45 years in the future, but it was a damn good engine back then. It produces more power than the 3.3L inline six that you'd find in a low-end 1970 Ford Mustang. You would need one of the exotic Italian clockwork V12's to beat it in power per liter back then. Back then even the 1970 Porsche 911's 2.2L flat six only developed 123 hp without forced induction.

If GT racing in the late 60s taught us anything, it's not all about HP and engine displacement :police: :old:

The Alfa was much lighter by 400-600 lbs, better balanced and came with a nicely optimized 5 speeds. They were all over competitively racing and still are priced procession to those days in Classic Racing. 1800S ... not so much, except maybe if you are The Saint  :D
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------