Author Topic: the new tower  (Read 3315 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
Re: the new tower
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »
You should install Windows on the SSD, otherwise you won't gain anything.

As for drivers for the SSD, you can't install anything before you have some kind of an operating system running. The first time to install any drivers would be during the Windows installation but I don't believe you'd have to do anything a this point. This advice should apply to any brand: http://ocz.com/consumer/ssd-guide/how-to-install-ssd

goes that mean i may have to do something like this?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
Hopefully not. As the title says, the advice is for changing hard disk mode after installing Windows. Ensure you're using AHCI mode before the installation by pressing DEL at startup. You should find what you need to check in the Settings section. Read the motherboard manual for help. Start with the defaults, explore the alternatives. Don't save any changes unless you think you know what you're doing.

Most likely you can't break anything with incorrect settings (except voltages) and you can always revert to factory defaults for a new start. Repetitive reinstalls will take a lot of time, though. And I mean days, even weeks. AHCI mode is basically the only thing you should check before installing Windows. The rest can be changed if needed, usually the motherboard recognizes the speed of the components by itself. Overclocking is a different animal, but there should be no need for that in the near future.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 01:23:17 AM »
Well assembly complete at least i hope so. have 1 issue with the cpu cooler . followed the instructions to the letter installed it but if you bump it it will twist . seems to have a tight hold on the cpu but with a small bit of force it will twist. i found this out putting in some of the harder to reach motherboard screws . in fact there is a small smear of my blood on some of the fins.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 01:51:40 AM »
the wires look a mess but this is only the beginning .will be getting some hospital powder free gloves to handle installing the cpu.

(Image removed from quote.)[/URL]

(Image removed from quote.)[/URL]

I am just curious about why spend so much on that puter but spend so little on that blender.  that blender is like 10 bucks, pretty sure you could have researched it better and spend 50 or 60 bucks to buy a good quality blender that will help you enjoy that puter so much more.  :uhoh

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 02:15:58 AM »
I am just curious about why spend so much on that puter but spend so little on that blender.  that blender is like 10 bucks, pretty sure you could have researched it better and spend 50 or 60 bucks to buy a good quality blender that will help you enjoy that puter so much more.  :uhoh

semp

hehehehe well you are right  but that is not my blender. my co pilot needed 1 to make her ice cream sundaes . so  guess i should of picked it out  but she is the walmart shopper
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:23:16 AM by mikev »

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2015, 02:48:08 AM »
well tomorrow is first boot day unless i missed something. any tips on what to look for and what to do ?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2015, 03:43:21 AM »
well tomorrow is first boot day unless i missed something. any tips on what to look for and what to do ?

unplug the blender first.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »
Turn your power supply to take air from below. That will keep it cooler. You already have a ton of exhaust fans. Just make sure you don't get anything to block the air intakes in the bottom. A raiser (stool) made of mesh or simply higher feet would help.

You might also want to change place of the top fan. Where it is now, it may either create a good fresh airflow for the CPU fan or it may direct the airflow to bypass the CPU fan. Explore! There's programs that tell the temperatures for several devices and also the rpm of the fans. So take a look at the CPU fan rpm and the CPU temperature, first with the top fan off, then with it on, then again off. Choose the option where the CPU keeps cool with the least rpm. Then do the same after moving the top fan to the other location in the rear.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
  will look into the temps after i get it up and running besides the 2 front intake fans all other fans including the top are exhaust. im going to pray the psu does not overheat until i have a chance to see how the computer fits  inside the glass door see pic . right now i just want to get it up and running . i have the program for temps plus i have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_FYOo9Xq_Y

[/URL]

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
I can see the fans are exhaust ones. That's why I am sorta concerned: Does the airflow go out through the top fan or does it go through the CPU cooler. See, the two fans are competing about the air coming from below. Does the airflow continue directly out of the top or will it turn towards the rear? Supposedly it depends even on the temperature. Hot air tends to rise, cool might be better conducted.

Another thing: is the side of your cabinet open? If it isn't, get rid of the door or at least keep it open while gaming.

As for the CPU cooler, two things: 1) If you have thermal paste to spare, detach the cooler to see whether the paste has spread all over or not. 2) Modern processors will slow down if needed until a tolerable temperature has been achieved. They won't overheat easily. But in any case, recheck the seating of your CPU cooler. It shouldn't wobble. By looking at the pictures it seems it is fastened by 4 screws to a backplate, so it shouldn't wobble. The heat pipes may twist, though, but unless you twist them to the point the metal fatigues and breaks there should be no issues. The firm hold against the CPU you mentioned is the most important thing, seconded by not letting the coolant run off the heat pipes.

Oh wait! You were talking about the PSU, not the CPU. There's no real problem with the PSU fan facing upwards, getting the air from below just might keep it a little cooler, thus prolonging its life span. Also with the PSU fan facing downwards it won't compete with the GPU fan. Airflow again!

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2015, 12:32:05 AM »
 OK moved the fan to the back  took a bit to figure out how to BOOT up windows but it is up and running now  cpu temps are about 82 f  which is great . so whats next?

[/URL]

[/URL]

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2015, 02:21:00 AM »
OK moved the fan to the back  took a bit to figure out how to BOOT up windows but it is up and running now  cpu temps are about 82 f  which is great . so whats next?

What's next? Let me see...

Hopefully you didn't install all the programs on the motherboard driver disk. Of course the drivers are needed, as well as the video card driver, but there usually is a bunch of "free utilities" that mostly only eat resources. Basically that means every program that has MSI in the name. Run LiveUpdate to install the newest drivers available for your motherboard, then either uninstall it or at least disable it from automatically starting and checking for updates. Check the settings for any program you have installed to disable them from automatically running and updating. Or find out how to easily shut them down before logging into the game. www.blackviper.com is a good source for getting the ultimate out of your system, but a basic approach is what I'd recommend at this point. You might want to let some programs update automatically, such as your anti-virus. My anti-virus is set to automatically update but I check for the updates manually every time before I log into AH just to make sure it doesn't do the update right during the biggest furball. I have also set Skype to start automatically just to make sure I don't forget to start it. Before gaming it's easy to shut down. Programs like Flash Player, Java, any media Player or Skype and its likes can be updated manually when needed without any major security risk. You can even set Windows Update to manual, but then you'd have to remember to check the updates monthly.

What next? Install AH and enjoy your new computer!   :joystick:

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2015, 02:52:55 AM »
what is this mean  was running my new computer then a pop up says windows will shut down in 10 mins  then 10 mins later  it shuts down and i have a screen saying windows is loading files and its been going on for 40 mins now. lucky i have my laptop available to find out why.

haha bizman you should of told me that about the drivers before i booted lol but i can remove them  in fact i have on some already like norton and i used the removal tool as well to rid myself totally lol also some google apps and some goofy fast charger app i never had time for sound blaster because see above and its still says loading files ??????????  i did download the latest driver for the video card and thats was working well.

i did manage to register windows online and do a dx log and post it here in a different thread. my windows index rating was 7.8 .

well i was hoping i would have windows back by now  but still says loading files ,by the way the loading bar filled up right from the start so why its taking so long i dont know

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2015, 03:05:46 AM »
There's 150 to 200 Windows updates after installing Windows 7 SP1. Some of them are quite large. It usually takes a full day to get all of them downloaded and installed. Windows 8.1 has roughly the same amount of updates. Patience, lad!

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:07 AM »
OK  if you say so but it is kinda strange . looks like i just installed windows

[/URL]