Author Topic: A perspective on Aces High then and now.  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
A perspective on Aces High then and now.
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »
This post is a point of view from an older player, how the game was, and how it is now.  There will be no flaming please.  Everyone plays the game the way it creates more fun for them. Gameplay by individuals or groups of individuals should not be criticized.  This is just a remembrance of what the game was then and what it is now from my perspective.
This hopefully will explain what the community was and what it has evolved into.  Hitech must make changes to please as many possible so that the popularity of the game increases, therefore adding subscribers.  This is a must for Hitech Creations to survive.  For any business to survive for that matter.   This is probably a reflection more so on the communities then and now.  None being better then the other.

Hangtime, Moss, Lephturn, Apar, Saw, Ram, Regurge, hblair , Wilbuz (my good friend) Whels, Westy, LT, Lugs and the names go on.  A lot of players in our squadron were from that time (The Flying Circus).  Those names listed are a small part of the community that we had virtual combat with on a daily basis.  At that time when you lost a fight it was popular for the one who beat you to critique what you did wrong, where mistakes were made, and what you can do better to win!  I appreciated that!  When I was new or anyone at that time was new the critiques were welcomed.

We had our arses handed to us so much that our wives had to take in the seats of our pants.  Why would they/we do that?  To make the competition better and thus make the fights longer and more immersive.  SA wasn't a passing thought and neither was ACM.  Now did we have a few in game that could be idiots?  Yup.  Very few.  Now if you lose a fight, do something another player does not like, channel 200 explodes into various tirades and name calling.  Insults abound!  Accusations made, and childish ones at that.  No help offered to make a player better, and the chastisement disappoints new players and in many cases causes them to say "screw this" and leaves never to comeback.  That my friends is our fault, the Communities fault.  We scare some players away.  "Ya wanna go to the DA?"  Chest pounding!  How bout "Let's go to the DA and see if we can improve your virtual piloting skills."
There was no bragging when coming back to the MA and chest pounding.  Someone just made a friend and got better at the game to boot.

Example on gameplay then and now.  in early AH at one time you could capture a field with two P38s and a goon.  Easy!  Why?  Not many did it, no need to make the cities as they are today. Let me say again this is not to criticize taking airfields if that is what you like to do!  This is just pointing out the differences between the game and community at that time.  None being better or none being worse.

I could go on and be more boring then I already have been. :rofl  Life changes, players have to leave because the economy (30 dollars back then which we gladly paid), raising a family and aging like me  :furious.

My concern is will games like steal the sheep subtract from the population that plays air to air combat for entertainment?  I understand the populations age in this community is probably getting younger, not many old fartz like me still around.  HTC must do what is best for his business and the game must evolve into what will attract more subscribers.
This is business and not personal.  I'm anxiously awaiting the new version!  Many of us old timers have left for various reasons.  Life, economy, the change in gameplay within the community etc.  I'm hoping my love of air to air combat will stay with me for many more years.  My love of the aircraft and the pilots histories, and the combat history of WWII
will never leave me.

Off soapbox.......longwinded.  If anyone wishes to add something constructive please do so.  It can't hurt!  Remember, this is my point of view only.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: A perspective on Aces High then and now.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
I always enjoyed hopping over and winging TFC.    :salute
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
I always enjoyed hopping over and winging TFC.    :salute

Jay at anytime you are most welcomed to do so.  You have always been a good friend of ours.

Hey ever notice when the older guys who left previously come back they join our squad?

Ripsnort, Swoop and Eddiek!  Guess they feel comfortable with us old fartz  :rofl
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:07 AM »
I first flew online - in WarBirds - back in March 1997. There was plenty of chest-thumping going on then, too. One just has to tune it out.  ;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »
I first flew online - in WarBirds - back in March 1997. There was plenty of chest-thumping going on then, too. One just has to tune it out.  ;)

Bino even before that in AW there was little reason to do that.  We just simply played.  Again differences between communities then and now.

No right or wrong in either.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline vHACKv

• Copper Member
      • Hack YouTube Channel!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
There is some historical precedent here to this game (Steal the Sheep):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzkashi

I once visited Argentina, and witnessed some kids playing something similar called Pato. It was amazing to see them be able to grab the "ball" (can't remember the name of it, think medicine ball with handles) without riding in stirrups or a saddle, off the ground while riding at full speed. The horsemanship was amazing. These were kids "learning" how to ride, but the skills learned here translated in to them being amazing in the saddle of a tacked horse.

There will be a silver lining to this cloud, Steal the Sheep will encourage ACM. I think this will encourage people to get extremely good at defensive maneuvers. Thus, this will translate to a higher incidence of  encountering advanced maneuvers in the MA. It will be much like people playing Kill the Crabb on a regular basis.

P.S. Sorry for posting here, this leaves you open for bustr flaming this post and thread
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:50:20 AM by vHACKv »
Your HQ tears are my fuel

-Starting a profile with your E-mail address while trying to make fun of someone is not a good idea. You will end up with a "V" in front of your name, and we all know only idiots have "V's" in front of their names. (you can't ever change your profile name)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
I started playing aw back in 96.  I would say that except the a26 not being available, nothing has really changed.  game play is the same except we can ho now :).

it is still fun as hell.  lots of good friends and plenty of beer  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »
Hajo how you doing? Please tell bushlt I said hello also. I'm busy atm. I'll be back around June 20.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline xTITANx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
I started playing back in AW as well and while there were a few people that would go off on you, most were helpful and I learned a lot. I've been with DFA since the late 90s and transitioned over to AH when they shut down AW.  We had our rivalries but they were usually respect-filled (except for a few we may, or may not have had bounties on  :evil:) and help abounded. I still have lots of friends like XBRIT that remember me as "TIT" since my Icon showed only the first three letters in AW (I thought that was pretty funny).   

Still the same today for the most part with a couple exceptions that you brought up... GEICO and I had some good interactions the other night and discussed them on 200... they were good fights and I was winging with a squady, which is where I find the most fun.  Full of respect.  I play the way I want.. no Ho'ing if I can help it (not right or wrong, my choice), I will let an opponent ditch most the time if we've had a long fight (unless you HO me), and I try to give new folks some guidance (AH is full of help) and not flame them or ALT-F4 them (aggravates me). 

I do find that the younger generation (my 19 yr old son and I have had discussions at length about this) are more apt to flame you on 200. Or, even if you are in the same country and they perceive you aren't furthering their cause ( try to help when I can).  They are more apt to say something online that they wouldnt say to your face.  Its the world they live in...they are badder on-line than they are in-person.  Now, that same thing applies to some of the older guys in here but most of their BS is joking or to get a rise, not trying to beat you down to make you quit. 

I'm not in for the "instant gratification" and I like to ACM and "play combat".  And for the friend/acquaintances I've made here.  Ive been on and off for the last 16 or 17 years but I always come back. 

Hopefully HITECH can find a happy medium but we just have to adhere to gameplay and hopefully get what we are looking for...

:salute :cheers:

TITAN
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:28:26 AM by xTITANx »
xTITANx A.K.A.  DFATITAN
Death From Above (DFA)
"My relationship with AH has lasted longer than my last two wives".  On again, off again, but still here.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Hajo how you doing? Please tell bushlt I said hello also. I'm busy atm. I'll be back around June 20.

Rud3boi!   Hurry back will relay msg. to Bush!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:46:59 PM »
A humorous coincidence.  My wife emailed this to me right after I read the OP.

Not so off topic.

http://dilbert.com/?utm_source=dilbert.com/newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=brand-loyalty&utm_content=header-notice

Check out June 7.

Hajo.  Good points.  Bino.  +1.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time, but doggone you Hajo you've made me look up my login info and start typing again.

Thanks for a great post and the remembrance of days long past.

After reading this I may chisel off the dust from the old Microsoft Precision 2 and resubscribe with the advent of the new version.

Best Regards, Hajo <<S>>

Sun

P.S.
           I miss Wax.  :cry
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time, but doggone you Hajo you've made me look up my login info and start typing again.

Thanks for a great post and the remembrance of days long past.

After reading this I may chisel off the dust from the old Microsoft Precision 2 and resubscribe with the advent of the new version.

Best Regards, Hajo <<S>>

Sun

P.S.
           I miss Wax.  :cry

Sundown ya better beware if I find ya a creepin' round my backstairs.  <S>Old Friend.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »
Sundown ya better beware if I find ya a creepin' round my backstairs. 

You write songs too?   :noid  :old:

Nice post Hajo and I remember all those handles you posted. Started in W/B in 95 and A/H in Beta.  :cheers:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »
I don't enjoy it as I once did, but I keep my subscription going...of late it occurs to me I need heap much practice :joystick:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/