Author Topic: To Man the guns, or not. Is that the question ?  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
To Man the guns, or not. Is that the question ?
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:41:27 AM »

So the Nits were drastically outnumbered today when I logged on. I sought refuge from the Horde onslaught by practicing my porking and deacking on a little out of the way base. I flew over and within minutes had dropped the Dar, the ords, and then deacked town. decided to press my luck and deack the base as well. I got all the auto guns down just as a Spit lifted off. Hoping for a decent fight, I extended away and let him get co alt, and pick up some E, then I turned back and merged. Sadly I was able to reverse on him immediately and he ran for the ack. (poor feller neglected to notice I had already killed it all  ;)  ) So I caught him and killed him. Then I hear the familiar sound of REVENGE MANNED GUN FIRE. I spent the next few minutes chasing this guy around the field killing the manned guns he was jumping into. good thing he was a worse shot than me !

Now this is NOT a rant, Whine, Cry or any other such thing. I just want to open a conversation about this, and see where it leads.

I think if you are manning a gun, you should be able to be killed. and for your death to count as a kill for the killer. You can shoot down planes and effect their stats or score, but you are completely safe from any negative outcome on your game.

There are some VERY skilled gunners in game that pick planes outta the air from more than 1.5k out, and a lot further with the 88's. There's been more than a few occasions where I've chased somebody back to their base and killed them, or out fought them and killed them relatively close to their field, only to have them jump into an 88 or manned gun get a lucky shot on me  :bhead .

Same base I attacked and deacked earlier.. Im inbound lookin for the cause of the dar bar, when I spot a high con. he dives on me, overshoots, and I easily gain his 6. He runs for the base, I kill him just outside of ack range. seconds later I see the single tracer, and puffy ack next to me. so I zoom in and kill the 88. starting heading for home, and boom, another ack burst, so I turn around and kill that 88.

Shouldn't that person have 2 deaths recorded ? After all he was trying to kill me and if he succeeded I would have been penalized with a death. and why shouldn't I be awarded 2 kills ? I had to avoid his shots, bobbing and weaving, take aim and take him out. I had to put myself in danger and avoid being killed in order to kill him.  If a GV engages a plane, and the plane kills the GV, that GV gets a death, and the pilot is awarded a kill.

So what's everybody's thoughts on manned gun kills/deaths not counting ?
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
Re: To Man the guns, or not. Is that the question ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:51:55 AM »
I agree. Instead of up in aaa i go one base back and climb with the objective of being above and keepining enough advantage to make a clean get away if a new con shows up or my advantage starts to leave.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
Kill the soft guns.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 07:46:12 AM »
Since victories can be landed from a manned gun, it would only be fair to get a kill from the man behind the gun. But only if the gun is manned by a real player, not AI. As Naughty said, there are people who can shoot accurately from 1.5 k and even further. I need to go much closer if I want to kill the ack! And no one has ever said anything about an uneven HO! So yes, I'd like to get a kill for every player who ends up in the tower because of my shooting.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:01:07 AM »
I get a big kick out of busting one up with the 88.   Nothing better to run off vulchers.

The problem with getting killed in a field gun is you are sitting duck and they are so easy to hit.  It is easy to beat an 88 because it is slow to turn and reload. 

Now each of the guns had a four barrel set up of 50s and 20mm and more of them . . . .

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
It is easy to beat an 88 because it is slow to turn and reload. 

Imagine the howls if HTC programmed the 88's at the higher gear ratio like all the other AAA platforms in the game.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/88mm-antiaircraft-gun/index.html

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »

So what's everybody's thoughts on manned gun kills/deaths not counting ?

sure make them count as kills, but you need something for a gunner to be able to earn. gunners don't currently get anything. no perks, no score..  what category would you have manned guns earn perks in?

i spend most of my time in manned guns because i hate vulching.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
I agree with the op.  But shouldn't this be posted on wishlist forum?

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 10:06:35 AM »
I agree with the op.  But shouldn't this be posted on wishlist forum?

No, this isn't a wish. I'm just curious as to what others think about the issue.

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
I get a big kick out of busting one up with the 88.   Nothing better to run off vulchers.

The problem  getting killed in a field gun is you are sitting duck and they are so easy to hit.  It is easy to beat an 88 because it is slow to turn and reload. 

Now each of the guns had a four barrel set up of 50s and 20mm and more of them . . . .

As a gunner you have the biggest advantage of all...    .EF    the plane you are firing at spots you and turns for you,  .EF and you instantly land your kills.   ;)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »
sure make them count as kills, but you need something for a gunner to be able to earn. gunners don't currently get anything. no perks, no score..  what category would you have manned guns earn perks in?

This.

Even then, you could have a single manned gun death count as 1 billion deaths, and I would still not give a damn about my score. :)  Also, kvuo75's sig says it all. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
when it comes to manned guns are you really killing the person or are you just disabling the gun I'm assuming you're just killing the gun that's why you receive no player kill message. I honestly think if you tied a player in with a kill less people would be willing to man the guns.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
Does not matter to me one way or another.  Run to your ack I will kill your ack.  Do not up and I will kill your ack.  Up after ack is down and you have become the sport of Kings! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
Okee dokee karyoke.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
I suppose it wouldn't be too big an effort for HT to add the "Gun Ship or Field Gun" to the list. I even suppose that would be of more importance statistically than "Chute".
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni