Author Topic: Auroras going off.  (Read 486 times)

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Auroras going off.
« on: June 23, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »
I'm in southern WI in town and even over the city lights the sky is still dancing.  Go outside and look up.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Auroras going off.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 01:54:12 AM »
I grew up in the country in far northern Minnesota.  With no artificial light and that close they were stunning.  Can't see them from the Twin Cities.  I miss that.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:22:30 AM »
Didnt see any here  :(
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
None visible in Eastern South Dakota either.   :frown:
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:15:29 AM »
With daylight 24/7 I cannot see it either. But on the other hand, when u live almost at the arctic circle u have plenty of time to see it during the winter...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »
This warning just posted on NOAA/Space Weather, looks the most powerful CME hits Thursday june 25th ,G3 storm predicted ; and Aurora visible from Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon; could damage power systems, HQ down light out~ :rofl;

hmm, I'm about to hit the beach this afternoon, going to get zapped  :rolleyes:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/alerts-watches-and-warnings
Space Weather Message Code: WATA50
Serial Number: 55
Issue Time: 2015 Jun 23 1603 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G3 Predicted

Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
Jun 24:  G2 (Moderate)   Jun 25:  G3 (Strong)   Jun 26:  G1 (Minor)

THIS SUPERSEDES ANY/ALL PRIOR WATCHES IN EFFECT

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 50 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power system voltage irregularities possible, false alarms may be triggered on some protection devices.
Spacecraft - Systems may experience surface charging; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites and orientation problems may occur.
Navigation - Intermittent satellite navigation (GPS) problems, including loss-of-lock and increased range error Radio - HF (high frequency) radio may be intermittent.may occur.

Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon.

regions affected the most;http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/d-region-absorption-predictions-d-rap

still 20% chances for X class today;
http://www.solarham.net/

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:13:04 PM by ghi »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
Thought last night it was a g4 class storm
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
Thought last night it was a g4 class storm
ohh, yes you are right; I just cheacked bellow G4; but nothing happen, we are lucky :rock
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/3-day-forecast

G 4 Severe explained from NOAA scale;
Power systems: Possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.

Spacecraft operations: May experience surface charging and tracking problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: Induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours, low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California (typically 45° geomagnetic lat.).
 Kp = 8, including a 9- 100 per cycle
 (60 days per cycle)
I remember this video Michio Kaku, saying would take 100 million $  to protect the power grid;
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:29:09 PM by ghi »

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
This time this sucker is a MONSTER flare!

I wouldn't be shocked if Aurora wasn't visible down to at least Kansas City.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
I guess I was late to the show, took a drive out to the sticks for a better view but by the time I did it was pretty much over.  Sounds like possibly more tonight and especially tomorrow. 
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »
Never plan aurora borealis, let it happen naturally in your life.
It's an natural phenomenon that will occur at the right time in your life.

My most memorable moment was when I was 10 (Northern Minn) and the night my 2nd son was born. Both 'unplanned' witnesses but they mean something very special to me. :)