Author Topic: P-38 speed reduction for tight turn?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: P-38 speed reduction for tight turn?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »
Dive flap Traveler. Only works in AH when you compress and doesn't add drag.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
itll burn E.
ive done NOE raids and on auto lvl ill pop it out for about 30seconds to slow down and stay with the goon. i hate messing with my throttle settings (lazy) so ill pop it and slow down a few MPH goon shoots ahead, i retract it and repeat in a little bit
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »
itll burn E.
ive done NOE raids and on auto lvl ill pop it out for about 30seconds to slow down and stay with the goon. i hate messing with my throttle settings (lazy) so ill pop it and slow down a few MPH goon shoots ahead, i retract it and repeat in a little bit

You can add drag with your flaps, not with your dive flap. The dive flap is only for moving the center of pressure in compression.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 01:46:45 PM »
Got to ask, how is the flap on the P38 "ineffective at low speed"?

remember the purpose of the flap is to allow a pilot to lower the nose of the aircraft without increasing the airspeed.

Traveler, the flap works by disturbing the near mach air flow on the bottom side of the wing enough to counter the  lost lift of the top wing as flow of air gets moving so fast it can't follow the contour of the upper wing creating a lower pressure on the back part of the wing enough to pitch the nose down. 

The flap has too little drag at slower speeds to be effective as a speed reducer lift addition of reducer due its small size and location.. 

At this point no player in AH has been able to detect any added drag at any speed.  Is that right?  I do not know.  Only HTC and Lockheed knows that answer.

An interesting point in history.  The problem with airflow in a P-38 dive was known by prop designers for a couple of years.  The problem is same problem that limits the speed on prop planes due to prop limits.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »
Got to ask, how is the flap on the P38 "ineffective at low speed"?

remember the purpose of the flap is to allow a pilot to lower the nose of the aircraft without increasing the airspeed.

He's referring to the dive flap on the P-38L and at speeds below 300knts, it rather useless.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 11:49:02 PM »
I didnt say it burned tons. lol re read my jumbled up post. im talking about dropping 5mph while im already running 200mph. NOE i dont like popping flapps its messes with auto level. It will bleed E and like i said not very much or very fast.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 07:27:15 PM »
He's referring to the dive flap on the P-38L and at speeds below 300knts, it rather useless.
I agree with ack ack. Thos dive flaps are for compression while diving. It was very useful against German fighters 190 while they tried to dive away.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:35 PM »
I've never felt any differences in the L when the dive flap was deployed vs. when it wasn't.  I've always heard it was best dropped before compression is an issue, so if I'm dropping eggs and screaming at the target straight down, it's always deployed well in advance.  Once the eggs are gone and I'm on the way back up, I click it off and forget it's a feature. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 06:41:54 AM »
There was I think a third party report of a P-38L test pilot being able to do a loop just by activating the dive flap.  I say third party because no quote of the test pilot was used.  Might mislead people.

My guess is one primary design spec of the dive flap was to minimize effects if the dive flap was left on, failed to close, and if only one actuated.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Dive flap Traveler. Only works in AH when you compress and doesn't add drag.

He didn't say "Dive Flap" he said "Flap".  As to the "dive flap not adding drag, set yourself up in level flight at a constant RPM and MP. Note the seed in the e6B, now lower the dive flap, note the decrease in speed on the e6B, now raise the dive flap, note the increase in speed on the e6B.  that's drag.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:17:15 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
He didn't say "Dive Flap" he said "Flap".  As to the "dive flap not adding drag, set yourself up in level flight at a constant RPM and MP. Note the seed in the e6B, now lower the dive flap, note the decrease in speed on the e6B, now raise the dive flap, note the increase in speed on the e6B.  that's drag.

Traveler I have attempted to measure speed change in the past but no noted change.  I will try again.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
He didn't say "Dive Flap" he said "Flap".  As to the "dive flap not adding drag, set yourself up in level flap at a constant RPM and MP. Note the seed in the e6B, now lower the dive flap, not the decrease in speed on the e6B, now raise the dive flap, note the increase in speed on the e6B.  that's drag.

He didn't say "Flap" he said "That flap". If you read the thread it's obvious he is referring to the dive flap.

When I lower the dive flap in the AH P-38L I do not see any reduction in speed. You have film showing drag?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 12:49:31 PM »
It would probably be best if it wasn't referred to as a flap in the first place. It's not really a flap by any other definition. It doesn't provide lift as other actual flaps do. It does add drag albeit a negligible amount. As such it doesn't slow the plane whatsoever at any speed. It wasn't designed to do that. What it does have in common with a  flap is that it temporarily changes the shape of the wing to redirect airflow. That's what it was designed to do. That's all it does. It's only designed to be effective at higher speeds in order to regain lost directional control. When it's operating it isn't working anything at all like the first notch of ACTUAL flap. It's doing something rise entirely. It does nothing at slow speed.

It doesn't function as a dive brake--EVER. A dive brake is a different animal. Try the same level speed test in a dive bomber and pop the dive brake. You'll see a very noticeable loss of speed. That's because it's designed to do that. THAT is a dive brake. It's designed to add tons of drag on order to stop the plane from building up speed going straight down. With a dive brake deployed you'll never get fast. What's on the P-38L is not that. It's designed to be used WHEN FAST, but NOT designed to slow you down.

Anyone that's trying to use it as such is kidding themselves. Anyone that thinks it's slowing them down is imagining it.  Period. Paragraph. Got actual (not anecdotal) proof otherwise? Post it here. Please.

I fly the L almost exclusively and have for years. I think I have an idea. This conversation keeps coming around every few months. I don't get it. The dive recovery flap is a different animal. Truely unique to the late P-38 Js and Ls. I don't think you'll find a flap like it on any other aircraft.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:58:03 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
I don't think you'll find a flap like it on any other aircraft.

The P-47D-40 and the P-47M both have the same dive flaps as the P-38L.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
The P-47D-40 and the P-47M both have the same dive flaps as the P-38L.
OK but even so they are there for the same reason and not being used as a speed brake or lift producer at all on either aircraft.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group