Author Topic: throttle spikes  (Read 441 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
throttle spikes
« on: June 27, 2015, 02:01:46 AM »
Hi

I have a saitek X52pro and i seem to have spikes in the throttle, when going full military power i can see the boost\ manifold presuure gage spike downwards and back to full

is there an option to cancel those spikes?

thnks

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: throttle spikes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »
Usually this is caused by the throttle connection to the stick.  It is notorious for getting flaky.  Carefully re-seat it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
in the X52 the throttle is connected directly to the PC and the stick is connected to the throttle
connections seems solid
any other solutions?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »
Go to the Controls "Advanced" for the throttle and see what the raw output is then try playing with the sliders to see if it helps at all.  Try fast full throws on the throttle to see if it settles down.  After that, I got nothing.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
 I would try calibrating just the throttle axis. I had a similar issue and calibration then setting the throttle to enable scaling with all the sliders at the top and it seemed to fix the problem.

Oh and if you are not using a powered usb hub try getting 1 it seems to help the x52's work better.

:salute

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
There is a slider in axis settings that is called deadband. If the spike noise is relatively small to the signal increasing the deadband on a specific axis would solve the problem.

I suggest to observe the sliders of the joystick in an external program (windows have a simple one that works well) and see of the position of the axis is steady or jumpy - if the jumps are small than deadband should help - if the axis is significantly noisy - you have a hardware problem.

I used to have such problem on my 15 years old joystick - that I loved but finally I ended  throwing it and buying a new one.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »
If your stick is getting on a bit, dust and debri can find its way into pots, causing spikes, etc.  If your stick is really old it could mean a failing pot resistor track. You can get electronic spray cleaner that you spray into pots and it cleans them out.  You will have to most likely take the base of your stick though.  If this doesn't work then its time to look at a new stick.

Some people spray WD-40 into their sticks to lubricate them DO NOT DO THIS.  You must use electronic cleaner spray.

I have  set of CH pedals which from the factory always stuck on left rudder... I put up with it for years until one day I pulled the back off and sprayed the pot with cleaner.  They have been perfect ever since :) 

NG <S>

PS Disregard the above if your system uses hall effect sensors.

You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
seems much better now
thanks for the help