Author Topic: Polish Valor  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: Polish Valor
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 01:31:40 AM »
I am Half french and half Irish

you know I hate the stereotypes people give...when I am done this beer I am gonna kick the crap outta someone...... :D

Ink  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
Pole's were the fifth largest air force in WWII.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 11:27:38 AM »
Poland and French freedom fighters were heroic during WWII.  The repercussions of their capture did not deter them from fighting their enemy.

I will honor always both.  And don't forget the Philipinos and the Turks........and others I may have missed.  Great heroic people.

Lol, the Turks?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 01:31:54 AM »
Floob, thank you for that link.
I learned a lot, and a new respect.
:salute

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
Pole's were the fifth largest air force in WWII.

A good book about the Polish Air Force in WW2 is The Forgotten Few by Adam Zamoyski
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
I haven't read that one, I have read "Question of Honor".
Polish-Lithuanian (used to be the same nation) ground forces were also particularly valorous, Monte Cassino for example. Beyond WWII there is the American revolution and of course the Battle of Vienna. Poland was one of the first secular democracies, that is why there was such a large jewish population there.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:59:56 PM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »
75 years ago begins Battle of Britain. The few was best fighter pilots  forever  ( the saved Great Britain and free world) but the Polish Fighters was Elite of the Few.

:salute
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »
This politically correct society BS makes me sick!

It was a joke! Like the dumb blond jokes, the yo momma jokes, they are nothing but humor. No I'll will is meant by them.

By the way, I'm mostly of French and polish desent.  I have 2 uncles that were Marines, 3 Navy, and one air force. All but the Air Force one fought in WWII. I take no offense to Sims joke because I am smart enough to know that it was a joke.
Grow up fools.

It was not a politically incorrect joke or statement; it was stupidity and ignorance and yes bigoted. To label an entire people, nationality or ethnicity as dumb, stupid or whatever implication, is not even close to the same vein as trying to figure out whether it's "handicapped" or "disabled" or "challenged" this week.

The reason it was bigoted, it's in a public forum and the entire world can read it. I'd bet we may even have some Polish among us (not by heritage). His follow up statement was even more revealing about his true feelings and evidence that that he probably even feels that way toward Pols.

Now if two people (or more) who know each other want to carry this kind of stuff on amongst themselves and no hard feelings and it's all in good fun; no harm no foul.

Tell the same joke and insert "black guy", how would that have fared? Why is it different Fugi?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:32:21 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »

It was not a politically incorrect joke or statement; it was stupidity and ignorance and yes bigoted. To label an entire people, nationality or ethnicity as dumb, stupid or whatever implication, is not even close to the same vein as trying to figure out whether it's "handicapped" or "disabled" or "challenged" this week.

The reason it was bigoted, it's in a public forum and the entire world can read it. I'd bet we may even have some Polish among us (not by heritage). His follow up statement was even more revealing about his true feelings and evidence that that he probably even feels that way toward Pols.

Now if two people (or more) who know each other want to carry this kind of stuff on amongst themselves and no hard feelings and it's all in good fun; no harm no foul.

Tell the same joke and insert "black guy", how would that have fared? Why is it different Fugi?

Did you quit reading after the first line? I AM POLISH and I wasn't in the least bit offended because I can tell the difference between a joke and a bigoted statement. I guess you can't.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »
Did you quit reading after the first line? I AM POLISH and I wasn't in the least bit offended because I can tell the difference between a joke and a bigoted statement. I guess you can't.

Nope  :rolleyes:  I read your post.

Apparently you are more pc than you'd like to believe because inserting another nationality other than the French or Polish is quite ok in your book, but those two are ok to make fun of. Again maybe re-read my last line; you know exactly what would happen...

Btw, my Grandmother was full Polish  :ahand
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »

Nope  :rolleyes:  I read your post.

Apparently you are more pc than you'd like to believe because inserting another nationality other than the French or Polish is quite ok in your book, but those two are ok to make fun of. Again maybe re-read my last line; you know exactly what would happen...

Btw, my Grandmother was full Polish  :ahand

As to your last line, it shouldn't be any different. That is the issue with politically correct. Everyone needs to grow up and put their big boy pants on and learn to get along.

SOME blacks get ticked about being "labeled", SOME polacks get mad at jokes, SOME blonds can't figure out they are being teased, SOME rednecks seem to live in the 1800's.  If SOME people stopped complaining about being persecuted, and the media would stop running stories that do nothing but try to get people ticked off about one thing or another maybe everyone could get along.

I have, to use these "labels", polish friends, irish friends, black friends, puerto rican, friends and we have all grown up around each other and we have never been anything other than "people" to each other. All these "labels" and people taking issue with them is the problem. Grow up!

oh btw, my Grandmother is full polish too, she was born just outside of Warsaw.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
Gentlemen,  Lets look beyond what was posted and focus on what the original post was intended to honor.  This is a reflection on the bravery and heroism of the Polish men and women who fought in WW2.  From 1939 to 1945, the Poles fought in every theater of war.  Yes, the Poles fought (although in a limited capacity) the Japanese as well.  Witold Urbanowicz is credited with shooting down two (2) Japanese fighters when he flew with members of the 75th Fighter Squadron in China.  It was claimed that none of Urbanowiz's planes were ever struck by enemy bullets. 

Poles are a very proud and patriotic, even to this day.   This discussion is to honor their memory and sacrifices.   :salute

Obie

(And yes, I'm Polish as well.  With a little touch of English.)
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »
Gentlemen,  Lets look beyond what was posted and focus on what the original post was intended to honor.  This is a reflection on the bravery and heroism of the Polish men and women who fought in WW2.  From 1939 to 1945, the Poles fought in every theater of war.  Yes, the Poles fought (although in a limited capacity) the Japanese as well.  Witold Urbanowicz is credited with shooting down two (2) Japanese fighters when he flew with members of the 75th Fighter Squadron in China.  It was claimed that none of Urbanowiz's planes were ever struck by enemy bullets. 

Poles are a very proud and patriotic, even to this day.   This discussion is to honor their memory and sacrifices.   :salute

Obie

(And yes, I'm Polish as well.  With a little touch of English.)

Agreed!   :salute

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
 There is a new amazing for me in this thread and this forum, it simply stuns me at how so many people get so upset over something that actually did not impact their lives in any sort of way. Their righteous indignation is breathtaking. I think some of the posts are patently comical considering this thread as a whole.

Not a single one of you took a moment to ask what I thought of POLISH FORCES, and that was the main point of this thread! Many of you automatically jumped to a conclusion that I was racially biased and based that conclusion on a frigging joke! Which one of you people are going to take up for the American Farmboy? How about the British Aristocrat? I am stunned to see that so many of you did not bother to defend their honor as well as the Poles! Seems like an amount double talk was at play with your anger......................

I'm done here.....

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
 :devil LEBER DENMAD AY sgnileef rieht gnitruh tiuQ
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch