Author Topic: Are we allowed to do videos of the Alpha now?  (Read 709 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Are we allowed to do videos of the Alpha now?
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
Or is that still not allowed? Just wanna know before I get in trouble.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
Re: Are we allowed to do videos of the Alpha now?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »
Note the "Please Read" sticky. Based on that I would say no. :lipsrsealed:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
   lol     :cheers:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqwICWzx3JI

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
Note the "Please Read" sticky. Based on that I would say no. :lipsrsealed:

It doesn't specifically say that you aren't allowed to, it just says don't compare it to other games.

On account of the fact that we get a new film viewer with the alpha I think it would be worth having some people play with it a bit to see if there are any bugs. That's just my opinion, HT gets the final say though.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
  the video i took was for all intended purposes to be an alpha test using full graphic settings using the 980 ti which skuzzy mentioned.

"Our baseline is the NVidia 9800GTX.  With all the graphic options disabled, that card should run the game.  Between that card and an NVidia 980Ti, it will be what you want it to be."

i have not posted this video anywhere on social media, only here in this forum under this thread. it was not intended to compare apples and oranges with any other companies finished products.

if this video in any way causes an issue with Hitech or any of Hitech Creations management 1 click of the mouse and it will be deleted.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
I've seen 5 videos from 5 different people now - a little late to "ban" videos of the Alpha.  If that's something they had wanted, they would have said so specifically I think.  Maybe I'm wrong...

I would think that the more videos the better, no such thing as bad press for a new product and all that.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
Not really, Gman. If you think about it, this product is still undergoing an update. If you post videos of a product too early then people get turned off by it and once that opinion is formed it will be hard to reverse. If you like this product and want it to continue to stick around and improve then you pretty much owe it to yourself to refrain from posting videos. For now at least.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »
Not really, Gman. If you think about it, this product is still undergoing an update. If you post videos of a product too early then people get turned off by it and once that opinion is formed it will be hard to reverse. If you like this product and want it to continue to stick around and improve then you pretty much owe it to yourself to refrain from posting videos. For now at least.

i have stated my reasons for the video, if this seems unreasonable to anyone 1 vote and it will be deleted

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
I wasn't trying to get after you, Mike, just stating my reasons for not doing it. I enjoyed your video. I would like to ask though, what is your editing program and which codec did you use? It scales fairly well to 4k, though I can see some artifacts. I have two methods for recording 4k, but for now not with AH.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 05:22:53 PM »
this was a simple fraps capture and edited by windows movie maker  i noticed also it starts out kinda fuzzy but clears up quickly. but nothing fancy  fraps capture set at 60 fps

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
Yeah, Fraps is my favorite for everything except games. Usually I just clone the display to an external card, or use Dxtory because of the decreased performance hit. I have forgotten what export settings are like with Movie Maker.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »
Disagree, big time.

Star Citizen, prime example.  People put up thousands of videos on youtube when it was first in alpha and those of use who were the first to back it got access to Arena Commander before anyone else.  Some of those videos went up into the millions of views, 2 of mine were 100k plus - and the crowdfunding dollars went from around 10 million at that time to the nearly 90 million.  Much of that early explosion of interest was driven by videos those of us who had early access put out. 

This is different in that generally anyone can get access by having a bbs account, but in terms of attracting new players, if you think that potential new customers are somehow unaware that they're looking at an alpha, not a finished product, and that somehow will be of more negative influence than the positives of seeing how things are generally shaping up...I don't know what to tell you.  And for the record, those first Star Citizen videos had dozens if not hundreds of bugs - nobody cared, they just wanted to see more.  Every Youtube gaming channel was abuzz in those early days with talk/walk throughs for those lucky enough to get first access.

This whole shtick of "secrecy" is ridiculous. 

And besides, nobody was told they couldn't release videos, there was no NDAs signed, and I can't find a specific TOS readme in the Alpha docs anywhere stating "no videos", "no discussions", "no disclosures"...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:44:42 PM by Gman »

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
Latrobe wants to know if he can make a sex tape.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
It's not about secrecy. I see it as an issue of recent history with criticism coming from the core of players that had been playing this game for years. However, HTC has not chimed in so take their silence as you will.

As to what people were told I asked specifically back in January and was asked to refrain from doing so. Of course, my plans concerning any AH videos have changed since then, anyway.