Author Topic: New system unable  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: New system unable
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »
May I ask what vid card you running?
Radeon HD 6970 with 2 GB memory
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
I guess that since everyone else is weighing in on this, I will as well.

My personal computer has a very old processor; an Intel Pentium D 945, but a very powerful graphics card; an EVGA GTX 760 4GB Superclocked. I get between 20 and 30 frames per second when in the alpha, I can get up to 45 with everything off.

My other computer has an Intel i3-4150 and a Gigabyte GTX 750 2GB, I get between 55 and 60 FPS with the default settings.

This has lead me to believe that it's not just an issue of bigger graphics cards, you should have a CPU that can work well with the graphics cards.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
I tossed this together, for another reason, but it seems applicable. 

I started just to list the all the differences, but then figured this would probably show it better.

Worth noting is how little of the model was changed for the Alpha.  I think the gauges were the only things changed.  The B17G is one of our oldest AHII models.  In this video you will see reflections, specular, HDR and some other subtle lighting features of the new graphic engine.  All these things are being processed on the video card.  To do these things using the CPU alone would be completely prohibitive.

The shots were taken at the same time of day, with the plane facing the same direction, on the same runway, between both versions of the game.  It is about as equal a comparison as can be done.

Please keep in mind this is Alpha, and subject to change.

I hear ya Dragon Tamer, but after I read this from Skuzzy, it did put a better light on (no pun intended) what graphics performance depends on (in Alpha anyways). 

So, minus the reports of strange graphic anomalies and single digit framerates, in a very few cases, the Open Alpha seems to be looking very close to cooked.  Remembering that the tester's job is to make reports on the unexpected results.  At this point, I would have to say that framerates are not the target of Alpha testing, but very interesting indeed, to see all of the insights from the community.  I must say that these posts which may or may not be helpful to HTC, have been a treasure find for me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

My personal computer has a very old processor; an Intel Pentium D 945, but a very powerful graphics card; an EVGA GTX 760 4GB Superclocked. I get between 20 and 30 frames per second when in the alpha, I can get up to 45 with everything off.

My other computer has an Intel i3-4150 and a Gigabyte GTX 750 2GB, I get between 55 and 60 FPS with the default settings.

This has lead me to believe that it's not just an issue of bigger graphics cards, you should have a CPU that can work well with the graphics cards.
You're right. The CPU should be able to feed information at the pace the GPU can take it. Your case is a fine example: Although both of your processors have two cores and their clock rates are almost identical, the i3 is three times faster than the D945 . When speaking about component generations, there's always more than one factor telling the performance.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
Benchmarking is really the only way to tell how a GPU or CPU will perform in games (and other software). Tom's Hardware has very nice interactive charts that let you compare how various GFX cards perform in games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/benchmarks,186.html
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
Tom's Hardware never met Hitech.

I found one thing that will increase FPS but, may not stay stable for very long when flying around in the environment. Over clocking a video card can end up only getting you a few FPS after you keep dialing back the numbers due to your card popping after about 5-10 minutes of game playing.

I increased my clock speeds of my 1G GDDR5 card to the following and got a 10 FPS increase sitting on the runway.

My cards defaults out of the box.

GPU 900 Mhz
Mem 1250 Mhz
BW - 80.0 Gbyte sec.

AH2 Speeds

GPU 910 Mhz
Mem 1275 Mhz
BW - 83.2 Gbyte sec

10 FPS Increase Numbers

GPU 910 Mhz <--- 910 seems to be the max or the card pops in 10 minutes.
Mem 1330 Mhz
BW - 84.9 Gbyte sec

I can get the Band Width up to 85.2 Gbyte sec but, can only play for about 10 minutes before the card pops and I have to Ctrl_Alt_Del out of the game. Nice FPS but, the card will not stay stable.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 07:23:27 AM »
Tom's Hardware never met Hitech.

For people wanting to upgrade, Tom's Hardware's lists helps in comparing relative performance between cards. I thought this was obvious.

Also over clocking your GPU without an aftermarket cooler is a good way to fry it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:25:14 AM by PR3D4TOR »
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
I know AMD comes with overclocking in the CCC, haven't looked at NVIDIA in a while.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
Nvidia does provide for OC'ing.

I use MSI afterburner to OC, stock cooling, cards in service like this for years.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »
Nvidia does provide for OC'ing.

I use MSI afterburner to OC, stock cooling, cards in service like this for years.

EVGA also offers their Precision program, the newest being Precision16 (as far as I know) and it offers a lot of tools to OC, adjust power and adjust cooling. However like I mentioned earlier, the processor needs to be able to hand off data to the card as quickly as possible. In my case I'm unable to do any overclocking because I get an immediate crash.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

You are correct in this case. Here is a comparison between my E8500 Core Duo and your D 945.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/518/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E8500_vs_Intel_Pentium_D_945.html

Still I was running the closed alpha on a P4 3.0Ghz, GTX 9800 512 and XP sp3.

Until Hitech begins working on the final playability adjustments, the alpha code is here to beat up our machines and help Hitech finish up his product.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
EVGA also offers their Precision program, the newest being Precision16 (as far as I know) and it offers a lot of tools to OC, adjust power and adjust cooling. However like I mentioned earlier, the processor needs to be able to hand off data to the card as quickly as possible. In my case I'm unable to do any overclocking because I get an immediate crash.

Maybe this is why
EVGA GTX 760 4GB Superclocked
  The card may already be OC by the manufacturer.   I have no real knowledge of this card and the link that I have for comparisons is probably as old as my card and doesn't include it.  I am sure that Nvidia or EVGA sites do have that info handy if I run across it I will post the link.

If I am reading you correctly, you are simply stating that an out dated CPU could also be a bottleneck and recommendations in that area would also be helpful.  Your comparison made that point, but as the OP seemed to think, his computer plays AH2 great but is junk for Alpha. 

Since Cashew hasn't posted his computer specs here, I sure hope he has someone working with him, because I am not buying into the sky is falling.  Cashew, Bustr left a link on how to do a dxdiag and you can attach it here by clicking on the + (attachments and other options) at the bottom the text box when you are replying or making a new post.

The dxdiag is just as simple to do. 

Go to "run" (usually find this from right clicking on the windows icon or startup)  scroll down until you see the word run and click on it

A text box will appear.  Simply type [    dxdiag    ]  brackets not included, and hit enter

Let the dxdiag do its thing and then click save all information, it will prompt you where you want to save it (save it to desktop for easy retrieval)

Then post here with a reply or in a new post by, doing as I said above click + Attachments, then browse, and select the file you saved on your desktop for example and click save or okay.  When you see the name and location of the file in the box under Attachments, then just post.

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
Maybe this is why   The card may already be OC by the manufacturer.   I have no real knowledge of this card and the link that I have for comparisons is probably as old as my card and doesn't include it.  I am sure that Nvidia or EVGA sites do have that info handy if I run across it I will post the link.

If I am reading you correctly, you are simply stating that an out dated CPU could also be a bottleneck and recommendations in that area would also be helpful.  Your comparison made that point, but as the OP seemed to think, his computer plays AH2 great but is junk for Alpha. 

Since Cashew hasn't posted his computer specs here, I sure hope he has someone working with him, because I am not buying into the sky is falling.  Cashew, Bustr left a link on how to do a dxdiag and you can attach it here by clicking on the + (attachments and other options) at the bottom the text box when you are replying or making a new post.

The dxdiag is just as simple to do. 

Go to "run" (usually find this from right clicking on the windows icon or startup)  scroll down until you see the word run and click on it

A text box will appear.  Simply type [    dxdiag    ]  brackets not included, and hit enter

Let the dxdiag do its thing and then click save all information, it will prompt you where you want to save it (save it to desktop for easy retrieval)

Then post here with a reply or in a new post by, doing as I said above click + Attachments, then browse, and select the file you saved on your desktop for example and click save or okay.  When you see the name and location of the file in the box under Attachments, then just post.
Peanut1 in game.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics. 'Nuff said.

Kotisivuni

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics. 'Nuff said.
I'm not here to be bashed on. I just said that ah2 works GREAT with full settings. So I was surprised the alpha was such a jump.   
Peanut1 in game.