Author Topic: FPS issues in Alpha  (Read 220 times)

Offline OSS

• Zinc Member
FPS issues in Alpha
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:41:24 AM »
Tried alpha yesterday for a bit. My FPS run between 13-21 even with graphics turned to bare minimums.
In AH2 I run med-high and I am consistently at 60fps. Not sure what else to try, here are my specs.

Windows 8.1
8GB  ram
Intel Core i5
NVIDIA GeForce 840A

I even went to the NVIDIA application and selected auto adjust for speed vs graphic detail and it didn't seem to make a difference. Is anyone else having these issues?

Offline Nosara

• Copper Member
Re: FPS issues in Alpha
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »
Try 1280/768

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
Sorry to say this, but it's typical for your GPU. The Alpha as well as most likely the new version, too, are much more GPU dependent than the current AH2. You video chip is from the lower end of its generation, the "tens" tell the relative performance level. Aside of being from the low end it's a mobile chip which typically cuts the performance even more. There's really nothing much you can do aside of trying to minimize your background processes during gaming and fiddling with the settings to find a balance between eye candy and frame rates. As Nosara says, reducing the pixel count will help some with the cost of details.

The good thing is, systems like yours help optimizing the new game to be playable on as many systems as possible, so thank you for your input.  :salute

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:39:16 AM »
I'm curios as to which version of the i5 you are using. if I remember correctly, there is one that is only clocked at 2GHz or something like that.

This is what I have in my system running an i3-4150 and 4GB RAM on Windows 7 64bit: Gigabyte GTX 750 2GB

If you don't want to spring for a 750, a 730 2GB MIGHT be able to run the game with lowered graphics.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:43:54 AM »
Rather than buying a low end card and run lowered graphics I'd get a second hand higher end card of an older generation. 1 GB of GDDR5 has been said to be somewhat of a recommended minimum requirement which means cards like GTX 570 and GTX 670 would do fine. Or a Radeon HD 6970 which can be got very cheaply. This list might help finding the best card for any budget, new or second hand: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
With GDDR5 RAM if your Band Width is 80Gbyte sec your FPS in the alpha right now will be around 30 sitting on the runway and 40-47 from 1000-5000ft.

In the alpha graphics as is for testing, GDDR5 RAM and a Band Width of 80 or better will return reasonable performance. This means data paths of 128bit and higher. Even if you have GDDR5 RAM and 1G, if your data path is only 64bit, don't expect a lot out of that card at the moment.

GDDR3 is 2x slower than GDDR5 even if your Band Width shows 80, looking at the GTX 9800 as the minimum card standard running the game in 512 Mode.

512 Mode
9800GTX
512 GDDR3
256bit
Band Width 70.4 Gbyte sec. <---you still have to turn everything down.

1024 Mode
HD6770
1G GDDR5
128bit
Band Width 80.0 Gbyte sec. <---30 fps sitting on the runway with defaults on.

I have to believe since this game code is GPU intensive that Hitech is aware of the performance differences players will bring to the arena with GDDR3 and GDDR5 Speed\Band Width. Just like in AH1-AH2 the CPU and video card performance differences. He planned for the differences to allow a broad spectrum of PCs to play his game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.