Author Topic: original windows home server and windows 10 - huge transfer  (Read 5987 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
I just installed windows 10 (pro, upgrade from 7 pro) on my kids computer and after installation, I noticed there was still continuous network download activity.  I popped up resource monitor and looked at the IP addresses involved, and it looks like my new win10 installation has a continuous DL stream from my original windows home server computer, the one built on winXP.

Yea I know don't use that, but IT WORKS.  Really.  So...

Why is my new win10 machine sucking a continuous DL from my WHS computer?  The drive light on the WHS machine is continuously lit so its doing *something*, but I have no idea what or why.  And it isn't backing up the new computer, its pulling *from* the WHS computer and the WHS client (which still seems to work ok btw) doesn't say that its trying to do a backup.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: original windows home server and windows 10 - huge transfer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
Windows 10 may be trying to synchronize the two computers. I don't know anything about WHS so I'll ask you if you have a microsoft account tied to it in any way.

If so then the solution is simple, just go to the notifications bar at the bottom and go to all settings. Go to Accounts and down to Sync your settings. Try turning that off, it's supposed to sync your phone/tablet and PC.

If that doesn't work then try under Devices, the tabs for Printers and scannars, as well as Connected devices. You'll see a doodad labeled "Download over metered connection." Try turning that off.

Still doing it? Check under Updates and security and see if your WHS is listed there. If so see if you have any settings that you can tweak to get it to stop. I would offer more help but I don't have anything like that on my end so I really don't know.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »
Its strange.  I don't have the computer set up to sync settings anywhere (turned all that off during installation) so I have no idea why it would transfer a ton of stuff from the WHS computer to the new win10 pc.  Never seen that before.  Maybe it was trying to cache shared data?  But I turned off prefetching and caching stuff, again during initial setup.

I rebooted and right away it started a new backup to the WHS computer, so at least that is normal...

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:45:59 AM »
Its strange.  I don't have the computer set up to sync settings anywhere (turned all that off during installation) so I have no idea why it would transfer a ton of stuff from the WHS computer to the new win10 pc.  Never seen that before.  Maybe it was trying to cache shared data?  But I turned off prefetching and caching stuff, again during initial setup.

I rebooted and right away it started a new backup to the WHS computer, so at least that is normal...

Did you use the same user name and password you had in your old WHS users? Windows NT users had a so called roaming profile. It's possible that your Win10 is trying to sync the profile of the user.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:53 AM »
Are you sure the data is going to your Windows 10 box?  Windows 10 has a P2P server which Microsoft is going to use for update distribution and *other* things.  Apparently, that feature cannot be disabled.

Is the updater running on the Windows XP box? Windows 10 may be grabbing all the updates from your XP box, for distribution.

Just a thought.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Windows 10 probably has cloud storage enabled that stores all you personal stuff and settings on microsoft's cloud.

Windows 8.1 has something called OneDrive to store all your personal stuff on the microsoft cloud. It used to be called SkyDrive. When I installed windows it was enabled and the computer was going nuts trying to upload all my things. Do you want all your personal stuff and settings stored on a cloud somewhere? If you want to use cloud storage that's fine. Turning it off is not as simple as microsoft implies. The wording/logic is odd. You have to enable the prevention of OneDrive usage.

Here's link to article describing how to get rid of it. Replace the word SkyDrive with OneDrive to match current windows 8.1 configuration.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-disable-uninstall-skydrive-from-windows-81-3506568/

EDIT: add link to microsoft community article for onedrive disable - says good for windows 10 too.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/wiki/odoptions-oddesktop/how-to-completely-disable-onedrive/b97a8336-62e7-476c-872c-3286c0a01cf6
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:29:30 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:10 AM »
An update.  The process that is downloading so much is also continuously adding errors to a logfile, hundreds or thousands every second.  The logfile name is

Microsoft-Windows-Storage-ClassPnP%4Operational.evtx

In it are 2 kinds of errors.  Event ID 507 and event ID 504 from "StorDiag" source.  I shut down the win10 computer so it doesn't kill my win10 computer, and the win7 event viewer doesn't know what these errors mean.  On the win10 computer it was some sort of IOCtl error and a SCSI error.

I've noticed that the error device number also changes in the event log (thousands of events are logged per second), sometimes a hard drive, sometimes apparently an SD card reader, sometimes a compact flash reader.  I have those readers installed in my WHS computer so maybe its trying to catalog or mount the entire filesystem of the WHS computer.

I let it go for a couple of hours but finally just shut down the win10 computer so it wouldn't destroy the hard drives on the WHS computer.  If I restart the win10 computer today and have time to mess with it, I'll write down the exact error type and post it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »
That is interesting.  Like to hear what you find eagl.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
Windows 10 probably has cloud storage enabled that stores all you personal stuff and settings on microsoft's cloud.

Windows 8.1 has something called OneDrive to store all your personal stuff on the microsoft cloud. It used to be called SkyDrive. When I installed windows it was enabled and the computer was going nuts trying to upload all my things. Do you want all your personal stuff and settings stored on a cloud somewhere? If you want to use cloud storage that's fine. Turning it off is not as simple as microsoft implies. The wording/logic is odd. You have to enable the prevention of OneDrive usage.

Here's link to article describing how to get rid of it. Replace the word SkyDrive with OneDrive to match current windows 8.1 configuration.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-disable-uninstall-skydrive-from-windows-81-3506568/

EDIT: add link to microsoft community article for onedrive disable - says good for windows 10 too.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/wiki/odoptions-oddesktop/how-to-completely-disable-onedrive/b97a8336-62e7-476c-872c-3286c0a01cf6

That's a good possibility, I know that Win7 can link to OneDrive as well but I think it's just listed in the file explorer as another drive on the computer. An internet connection has to be maintained to access it. I think on Win10 it downloads the files and folders from the OneDrive and stores them on the computer. It updates when you first log on (I will promptly go home and rip the network cable out of my computer to see if I can still access my files to confirm or deny). If that is the case you should be able to right click on it in the file explorer and manually manage which files you want it to download. The OneDrive should have an icon for it in the system tray for settings and management as well.

I'm also interested to hear what's going on. I was thinking about setting up some sort of local family storage in my house as well.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
Are you sure the data is going to your Windows 10 box?  Windows 10 has a P2P server which Microsoft is going to use for update distribution and *other* things.  Apparently, that feature cannot be disabled.

Is the updater running on the Windows XP box? Windows 10 may be grabbing all the updates from your XP box, for distribution.

Just a thought.

Say What!?!  Windows 10 uses your machine in P2P mode to distribute Windows 10 updates to other random people??  That's messed up.  What if you have a capped connection?  That could lead to tons of data overage charges??

Please tell me I misunderstood you.  (I'm old... I do that often.)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 11:49:42 PM »
I am positive the info was going to my machine.  The download was pegged at the top speed my WHS server can send over my powerline network adapter, and there was zero upload speed.

I have a theory.  It could have been indexing running amok.  It was not set to explicitly scan network folders but when I trimmed the index locations to just user files and did a couple other housekeeping items, it stopped and the logfile stopped getting jammed too.

The logfile entries were:
504 stordiag, completing a failed non-read write SCSI SRB request
507 stordiag, completing a failed IOCTL request

No freaking idea what those mean, but that was the logfile being slammed with repeated entries for multiple device IDs by the system process that was connecting to my WHS IP address.  It took a freaking hour to chase all that down with process IDs correlating bytes written with network traffic rates because the process was named just "system", but I was able to 100% certainty pin it down that when the network was flooded with the transfer from my WHS computer to my win10 computer, that logfile was the only file with a huge amount of traffic to it.  When the network flood stopped, the logfile quit being modified.

I changed the WHS backup settings to ignore the 2 small system partitions on my SSD (boot and restore I suppose), and only backup the C: drive.  That might have also had something to do with it, maybe failures to access the 2 small partitions were freaking out the computer. 

All signs of an immature OS, but that's what I get for installing it on day one and putting it on the same LAN as an old WHS box.  Still, you'd think that MS would have tested this configuration, upgrading a win7 machine that was using the original WHS OS and backup software.  Now that I think I've beaten it to death, it all *just works* again, in spite of everyone scoffing at me for not using their favorite *nix based server.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
Say What!?!  Windows 10 uses your machine in P2P mode to distribute Windows 10 updates to other random people??  That's messed up.  What if you have a capped connection?  That could lead to tons of data overage charges??

Please tell me I misunderstood you.  (I'm old... I do that often.)

You understand correctly.  Here is how you can turn it off.

http://fossbytes.com/windows-10-steals-your-internet-bandwidth-to-send-updates-to-others-disable-it-here/
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
I am positive the info was going to my machine.  The download was pegged at the top speed my WHS server can send over my powerline network adapter, and there was zero upload speed.

I have a theory.  It could have been indexing running amok.  It was not set to explicitly scan network folders but when I trimmed the index locations to just user files and did a couple other housekeeping items, it stopped and the logfile stopped getting jammed too.

The logfile entries were:
504 stordiag, completing a failed non-read write SCSI SRB request
507 stordiag, completing a failed IOCTL request

No freaking idea what those mean, but that was the logfile being slammed with repeated entries for multiple device IDs by the system process that was connecting to my WHS IP address.  It took a freaking hour to chase all that down with process IDs correlating bytes written with network traffic rates because the process was named just "system", but I was able to 100% certainty pin it down that when the network was flooded with the transfer from my WHS computer to my win10 computer, that logfile was the only file with a huge amount of traffic to it.  When the network flood stopped, the logfile quit being modified.

I changed the WHS backup settings to ignore the 2 small system partitions on my SSD (boot and restore I suppose), and only backup the C: drive.  That might have also had something to do with it, maybe failures to access the 2 small partitions were freaking out the computer. 

All signs of an immature OS, but that's what I get for installing it on day one and putting it on the same LAN as an old WHS box.  Still, you'd think that MS would have tested this configuration, upgrading a win7 machine that was using the original WHS OS and backup software.  Now that I think I've beaten it to death, it all *just works* again, in spite of everyone scoffing at me for not using their favorite *nix based server.

Sounds like you solved the problem. I was poking around their insider forums and couldn't find anything about that particular issue. If it was an issue before, nobody reported it.

I don't know if it's build into the final build, but if you type in "Contact microsoft support" in the search bar it should open a chat window directly to someone who might know what's going on.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
I was going to post this after reading the OP, I'd read it a while ago at PC Gamer, sort of the same deal I guess, the new Windows 10 "WiFi Sense", enables by default when you upgrade to Win 10, and is something most will want to shut down as well I think.

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-wifi-sense-password/