Author Topic: framerates  (Read 769 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
framerates
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
ok. downloaded this afternoon. left all settings at default. 17fps when i'm near anything, and max of 30 when not. in the current version, i'm steady 60-70fps.
intel core2 duo? e8400 at 3ghz. 4gb ram. 32 bit. 9800gtx vid card.

here's something that strikes me though. in the alpha version, up top where it shows framerates, and your vid memory? in alpha it sees 497mb, of which 413 is being reported as used. in the current version, it shows 1904mb, with 5mb used.

what other info can i give you guys to help me figure this out?

btw........it does look fantastic!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: framerates
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »
video memory used works in alpha not in AH2.
looks like the game is using just about all your video card memory?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:48:58 PM »
A better discussion could be had with an updated dxdiag posted.  There is a thread for such in the Alpha Test Forum, but posted it here would be you best bet, for any immediate help.

The last dxdiag I found for you had a different video card and 32 bit Windows XP.  The great thing is that I think they are testing the engine on that card (IIRC).

Glad to hear that your are somewhere around 20 to 30s fps at default settings.  I was finding everything rendering smoothly around those #s

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »
A better discussion could be had with an updated dxdiag posted.  There is a thread for such in the Alpha Test Forum, but posted it here would be you best bet, for any immediate help.

The last dxdiag I found for you had a different video card and 32 bit Windows XP.  The great thing is that I think they are testing the engine on that card (IIRC).

Glad to hear that your are somewhere around 20 to 30s fps at default settings.  I was finding everything rendering smoothly around those #s

mine was feeling choppy at that, and enarly unflyable at 17. dumb question. how do i do the dxdiag? i know i did one a long time ago.....but that was a LLOONNGG time ago
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »
ok. downloaded this afternoon. left all settings at default. 17fps when i'm near anything, and max of 30 when not. in the current version, i'm steady 60-70fps.
intel core2 duo? e8400 at 3ghz. 4gb ram. 32 bit. 9800gtx vid card.

here's something that strikes me though. in the alpha version, up top where it shows framerates, and your vid memory? in alpha it sees 497mb, of which 413 is being reported as used. in the current version, it shows 1904mb, with 5mb used.

what other info can i give you guys to help me figure this out?

btw........it does look fantastic!

All you need to do is report your experience. This is not the final version, this is a test version. Read the sticky alpha test posts.

Turn environmental map to 0 and turn off shadows and post lighting to improve frame rates.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 03:19:15 AM »
mine was feeling choppy at that, and enarly unflyable at 17. dumb question. how do i do the dxdiag? i know i did one a long time ago.....but that was a LLOONNGG time ago

Depends on Win OS. Start>Run> type in dxdiag into the textbox.
Pretty simple.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »

Like Easycor said, only click on "save all information" button near the bottom.  This will generate the  desired file.  It will ask you were to save it (desktop is always the easiest place to locate it afterwards to attach here and also in this thread for future reference http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,366972.0.html ). 

Skuzzy has made it easy to attach the file in a reply to this post or a new post.  Below the text box generated when you post will be the "Attachment and other options" highlighted.  Click there and use the browse button to locate the *.txt file that you saved, for instance C:/ ....... desktop/dxdiag.txt   wherever it was placed/ whatever filename. Then okay or save whatever the button says.  :)  Have a nice day!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »
CAP,

Did you set it to 512 Mode before you tried it out? It may have auto detected and set itself there, you should check in the video options at the main options screen.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »
Like Easycor said, only click on "save all information" button near the bottom.  This will generate the  desired file.  It will ask you were to save it (desktop is always the easiest place to locate it afterwards to attach here and also in this thread for future reference http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,366972.0.html ). 

Skuzzy has made it easy to attach the file in a reply to this post or a new post.  Below the text box generated when you post will be the "Attachment and other options" highlighted.  Click there and use the browse button to locate the *.txt file that you saved, for instance C:/ ....... desktop/dxdiag.txt   wherever it was placed/ whatever filename. Then okay or save whatever the button says.  :)  Have a nice day!
when i click the browse button, nothing happens. it won't let me type it in. but it did let me drag/drop. it's friggin long.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »
CAP,

Did you set it to 512 Mode before you tried it out? It may have auto detected and set itself there, you should check in the video options at the main options screen.

i had not, but changed it earlier tonight. still only 20 on the runway.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »
thanks guys, i appreciate the help/advice!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »
You might get a better outcome with a 1G GDDR5 RAM card.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
Thanks Cap1 for listing the dxdiag.  I see a few things that could be helpful. 

First, check with Skuzzy about your Vista OS (my understanding is that it places limits on amount of graphic memory IIRC).  If you do chose another OS, the recommendation has been Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I pretty much have the same motherboard and do have the same chip (intel duo core).  With 64 bit OS, you could try a "safe or recommended" overclock of the system memory.  I have been at 3.6 GHz for more than a year.

I see that you have a good deal of info stored on the computer, so I know how important it must be not to lose access.  A better graphics card alone, will get you but so far. 

Taking those 2 things into consideration, purchase of a "budget" (used or reconditioned) machine with 64 bit OS and room for a dual slot video card might actually be a lot less expensive than imagined.  Especially keep an eye on bbs for others looking to upgrade.

Back to what to do for now, since we really don't know if you need any upgrade at all.  Check the resolution and drivers for the current monitor.  I noticed a generic monitor driver 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz. What is the make and model number for your monitor?

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:07:07 AM »
I would recommend installing service pack 2 for Vista and a better video card.

For video cards I would recommend NVidia since it still supports Vista.

At a minimum maybe something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487096&ignorebbr=1

Tom's Hardware video card hierarchy chart.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:38:40 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
It doesn't seem to be an upgrade at gtx740

A few more dollars and he might find an entire systems with OS included.