Author Topic: New Graphics Card  (Read 342 times)

Offline BudHeavy

• Zinc Member
New Graphics Card
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
My SLI configured 9600s dont make the cut with the new AH version. Any suggestions for a single replacement card? I"m still using windows XP on a 32 bit motherboard. Yeah, its an 8 year OLD Dell XPS.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
Re: New Graphics Card
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »
I would suggest getting a complete new machine. I also would caution you  to not have any financial information on that machine. Using XP on that machine is just asking for Identity theft now.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
You could look for a PCI-E 2.0 video card with 1G GDDR5, 128bit, and a Bandwidth 80 - 128 Gbyte sec. From reading player's reports since the closed alpha starting august of last year and my own card. You "might" get about a median experience with the video card maxing your old system's ability to support it.

9600 GT
RAM - GDDR3
Data Paths - 256 bit
Band Width - 57.6 Bbyte sec.

9800 GTX
RAM - GDDR3
Data paths - 256bit
Band Width - 70.4 Gbute sec.

GDDR3 is about 2x slower than GDDR5. And so to your low Band Width which needs to be much higher. Did you end up installing the alpha and getting about 6-7 FPS sitting on the runway?

Are you XP 32bit and your CPU, 1 core, 2, or 4? I tested the closed alpha on my wife's single core Pentium 4, XP 32bit and a 9800 GTX 512 GDDRE3 card. Very low FPS with everything turned off or down.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
After eight years the PSU will need replacement. I'm not sure if your system is the XPS 420? If so, you can probably run a wide range of GPUs including the 970, which will run at x16 even on a Gen2 PCIe system. The only question is whether the CPU will bottleneck the card (probable) and whether the PSU can power it (unsure).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:06 PM »
Lots of good information and suggestions there. One more: Wait until the product has been finalized, then get a new computer. Your current rig helps to optimize the game to be as easy as possible on any computer, which will also reduce the cost of a new one.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BudHeavy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
Many many thanks for the prompt and informational responses. I got this rig for watching movies and for gaming and do absolutely no online transactions with it.  It would seem this old machine is ready to be mothballed, and will explore replacement options at a later time. As for the Alpha Test, it is completely un-playable on this system due to a lack of video memory. Again, thanks for the advice. <salute>