Author Topic: why do we need to know who killed us?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: why do we need to know who killed us?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
I miss the days when the chat buffer would announce "player x shot down player Y"  with their kill count behind it.   :D

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »
No, knowing who the picking hi P51 or spawn camper is just fires you up more to go get em.  Better still when you find some spawn camper with 20+ kills and then drop a bomb on his head and get that 200 whine or private message of outrage.   I just live for that. 

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »
I miss the days when the chat buffer would announce "player x shot down player Y"  with their kill count behind it.   :D

It was even better back in WBs when the buffer would announce who was logging in or out. It made the alt-f4 prank that much more fun.   :aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »
So you know who to salute.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »
Nothing will help the BS. It's human nature.   Simply try not to be offended by bickering, garbage and drama.  No need to recode anything, change settings or other reactive efforts. Just deal. 
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
Most of the reasons have been told, but you also wondered whether the real life pilots knew who might have shot them down. Well, it depended on the policy of the country the pilot flew for.  If one was shot down by a P51, the pilot might have been anybody. If the shooter was a German plane, many of the aces had recognizable planes. Skill is not the only reason why the best US ace "only" had 40 kills while the best German ace had 352 (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_flying_aces)
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
Lerxst, if you allow the poor sports to dictate how you conduct yourself then you will unfortunately become one of them.  I know it's hard to ignore them because they are the most vociferous, but there are not more of them playing.  If you want to be a good sport then follow the example of the many good sports here and simply ignore the poor sports.

When you do this, you will want to know who you killed and who killed you because it adds to the community of the game.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 04:32:10 PM »
removing 200 would be a better idea.
You do know that players have to tune to this channel? so if you don't like it don't tune to it. Get rid of 200 then it just changes channel number and away it goes again.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »

In AW there wasn't a system message that told you who shot you down but that never stopped the mud slinging.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
i totally understand the wanting to ask the shooter how they did it,and for the most part im answered with smartass answers,and stuff like you died cause you were easy,followed by the instant abuse by the guy on all channel or pm texts talking stupid trash for no reason other than they got a kill on you,so yes i'd love to walk through a scenario where if i get shot down,and i say to the person,do you mind explaining  how you did that and to get a thoughtful explanation. :salute
Not once have I had a smartass response to a post fight whisper to the other player, regardless of if he or I won the fight.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
If we didn't know who the other players were we would be unable to ridicule them when they lose or make excuses when the win. Also stalking would be much harder.

But seriously it makes it feel like I'm not playing against a computer, though some players make me feel that way anyway.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
No, knowing who the picking hi P51 or spawn camper is just fires you up more to go get em.  Better still when you find some spawn camper with 20+ kills and then drop a bomb on his head and get that 200 whine or private message of outrage.   I just live for that.

My personal favorite is from the mudhens trying to kill the TigerII when he finally gets far enough away to land his kills.

mudhen: "What? Your [sic] just gone?"
Chalenge: "Yeah, thanks for all the fish."
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
I miss the days when the chat buffer would announce "player x shot down player Y"  with their kill count behind it.

I miss that too, every kill was logged for all to see - it made figuring out the fights on 200 much easier, as you knew who had just killed whom. 

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
yeah make it more anonymous.. because anonymity is a great force for good behavior in games, and also encourages a strong community..  :rolleyes:
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:41 PM »
removing 200 would be a better idea.

Could always go back to the default channel. Remember being on 200 is a choice.

Get rid if 200 and yanno what happens. Everyone tunes to 300 and we start this all over again
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty