Author Topic: Porking. Needs to be changed.  (Read 21185 times)

Offline RedAgony

• Zinc Member
Porking. Needs to be changed.
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
So, just browsing the forums and seeing a complaint come up that I find very valid.

I've spent quite some time in the army, and whenever we needed heavy ordinance (read: most explosives) we had to make an appointment with the local ammo depot. which looked like this:

being able to use an LA-7 or worse any plane with only .50cals able to destroy these is a bit silly.  Can't we just make it so ammo bunkers require bombs?  Makes too much sense, I know but I'm just asking.  Or, is there a reason why one person in a single fighter can cripple a base?
This song came on, and I was invincible:

https://youtu.be/T3yPyc5ZdNs

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Porking. Needs to be changed.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
well just look at pictures of ammo dumps during ww2.  I can guarantee you they were out in the open.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:41:29 PM »
I wonder if there is any gun cam footage of a pilot strafing a row of 500 lb bombs during ww2. Or did the film go down with the plane? Just a curious thought. I don't think it would be a good idea to strafe an open bomb depot in real life. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
I wonder if there is any gun cam footage of a pilot strafing a row of 500 lb bombs during ww2. Or did the film go down with the plane? Just a curious thought. I don't think it would be a good idea to strafe an open bomb depot in real life. :)

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOM!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »
It is to my understanding that the Allies left their crap out in the open simply because they knew Germany wouldn't/couldn't attack them.  It is also why an Allied field had no defenses compared to their German counterparts.

Either way, they may or may not have done something in the Alpha that would make sense in terms of hitting ords.  Some of ye be dabbling in Alpha, what do ords look like there? :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »

Hang about !?!?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »

There is a fairly well known piece of gun cam footage taken where an ammo train explodes and you can see what happens to the plane closest.  Needless to say it was gun cam from the trailing plane not the one that disappears in the explosion
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:28:11 PM »
its ordnance,not ordinance.
 or do we need bunkers for laws ? :uhoh

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »
... is there a reason why one person in a single fighter can cripple a base?

Airfield capture, in the game, is not meant to be a realistic portrayal. The ammo bunkers are basically game pieces. The damage requirements for hangers, houses, radio towers, etc. are set for arena game play rather than strict historical accuracy.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
Airfield capture, in the game, is not meant to be a realistic portrayal. The ammo bunkers are basically game pieces. The damage requirements for hangers, houses, radio towers, etc. are set for arena game play rather than strict historical accuracy.

No offense but this is ALWAYS the answer for most ideas/changes that involve more realism.  Why put in any of the other details at all then?  Just game it.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »
Porking doesnt need changed. The game needs more players and it will be fine. When strats are 100% hit the strats. When the strats are hit pork, capture, and resupply. Your heads need fixin
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:58:41 PM »
Porking doesnt need changed. The game needs more players and it will be fine. When strats are 100% hit the strats. When the strats are hit pork, capture, and resupply. Your heads need fixin
and I am so damn good at all of that you can take that to the bank.

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
No offense but this is ALWAYS the answer for most ideas/changes that involve more realism.  Why put in any of the other details at all then?  Just game it.

Because they've made many, many decisions on what to include and what not to.  It's resulted in a mixture that's pretty much unique compared to the competition.  It's the same as the engine management argument.  They chose specifically not to model that.

Everybody's 'realism' wishlist looks different.  I don't particularly want engine management, but if it were included as long as the rest of the gameplay was still fun, I'd adjust.

I'd like to see the air act more like a fluid than the perfect stillness you get now, wind shears, updrafts over warm areas, wind hitting a hill and providing an updraft, turbulence, all that good stuff.  A lot of people would dislike that for a lot of similar reasons to why I am not fond of engine management.

They made their choices on how to set it up.  I don't think the ammos being strafable is that awful, but I can appreciate why it would bug other people.  I think it's an upside that they can be taken down by a light aircraft because honestly not that many people carry ords when they attack a base, and it allows the light fighters to help.  The harder you make bombing, it will only slow people down even more and make the hordes bigger.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 11:22:36 PM »
Because they've made many, many decisions on what to include and what not to.  It's resulted in a mixture that's pretty much unique compared to the competition.  It's the same as the engine management argument.  They chose specifically not to model that.

Everybody's 'realism' wishlist looks different.  I don't particularly want engine management, but if it were included as long as the rest of the gameplay was still fun, I'd adjust.

I'd like to see the air act more like a fluid than the perfect stillness you get now, wind shears, updrafts over warm areas, wind hitting a hill and providing an updraft, turbulence, all that good stuff.  A lot of people would dislike that for a lot of similar reasons to why I am not fond of engine management.

They made their choices on how to set it up.  I don't think the ammos being strafable is that awful, but I can appreciate why it would bug other people.  I think it's an upside that they can be taken down by a light aircraft because honestly not that many people carry ords when they attack a base, and it allows the light fighters to help.  The harder you make bombing, it will only slow people down even more and make the hordes bigger.

Wiley.
3000 new players over the next 5 years coming and going would fix what you point out whiley. In this day and age how hard is it to snag 3000 knuckleheads away from their current distraction and get them hooked?

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 11:28:41 PM »

Consistent answers to questions may seem novel but there is a sense to it.