Author Topic: Invisible objects stopping vehicles?  (Read 216 times)

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
Invisible objects stopping vehicles?
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
In the tank town area, just behind the spawn point arrows for V2, V23, and V44 something will stop vehicles. And in one case, at the V23 spawn area, after backing up and moving to the right just a bit, the vehicle got stopped completely and could no longer move.

See attached Psave files.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Invisible objects stopping vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:00:45 PM »
I have run into one of those.  I wonder if any of those coordinate with any veritices?  For example, is there a mis aligned tile, that allows a ground vehicle to momentarily slip between the hard surface and "sink" into an undefined surface that does not allow the vehicle to move.  If so, could there be a map editor fix that could possibly "smooth" the tiles to prevent such tile mis-alignments?

I am always hoping for an easier fix, rather than locating each and every spot and manually readjusting.

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »
Hey Chilli,

Strange things. Similar to the pilot walk-about over near the end of the runway.

I ran into another one over on that back side of the spawn point for V2. But when I backed up a ways and tried to find it again, no joy. And I didn't save the spot. I was trying to find the spot at one of these where the vehicle got stopped and wouldn't move any direction, which happened once before.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
Smoke,

Thanks for your psave and patience with an attempt to replicate the report.  That is why I am trying to think of a possible global fix (who knows if HiTech has one already, but not high enough on his to do list).

I was thinking this morning, this could even be tied to the "lvt land stop" that keeps the lvt from moving from water to land.  My thinking is this sort of thing is being created by a fault during the conversion from an old terrain.

I know nothing of coad, so I have a zero percent chance of being close to the problem.  I only try to insert logic into my understanding of how things work.  So forgive me, I am not assuming it works this way, only pondering if it might.  :headscratch: 

To restate my coad ignorant theory, there might be "jagged edges" created by misaligned altitude in tiles at their borders, that are causing vehicles to slip through the surface and being stuck in limbo.  My inference to the lvt land stop, comes from the speculation that we have 3 new things to look at:
first, a brand new water engine, a new coastline smoothing tool, and the conversion from a lower number of vertices / textures to the current new model with higher. 

I am only trying to keep some creative juices flowing while HiTech has a vastly more important job to do dealing with his new creation at home  :salute

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »
They may have fixed the lvt problem. I tried both lvt's this morning from 2 different task groups and locations and had no problem. The rpms drop to 10 when hitting the shallow water but keeps moving forward and goes back to 30 when reaching land.

Or was the lvt problem at a certain location?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
Smoke,

Try an lvt from a port.  There are areas where they should be able to roll into and off the shore, but it acts like either mud or barrier.

Today I noticed something new!  LVT when stuck, looks like automatic transmission is stuck in hi gear!

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
I see what you mean. It seems to be a problem with the deep water areas at the port.

If you move down the beach a bit to shallow water, no problem.

I did notice that I could get away from the “stuck” indication by using either a hard right or left turn. Hold the pedal down and you very slooooowly float away from the beach. By shifting down to low, you seem to float a little faster away from the beach.

Just looked in the Terrain Editor thread. There is some conversation there about using negative elevations for lvt transition from water to land. This seems to track with what I said in the first line above.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:20:08 PM by Smoke44 »