Author Topic: The Strategic Dominance Gaming Theory Book of Aces High  (Read 23419 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: The Strategic Dominance Gaming Theory Book of Aces High
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 05:59:01 AM »
Latrobe that was brilliant.  :salute

Yesterday I was at about 5k in A6m3.  A well known pilot flying a FW-190 buzzed our field a few times and I pursued him after he lost much of his E.  In a 45 degree dive I was able to pull within 1k of him.  Instead of engaging me after he extended he just hurled insults at me.  "You have to be stupid to turn fight a zeke" kinda thing.  I'd counter "is turn fighting a zeke your only option?". 

The longer I pursued this pilot running in his very capable plane, the more insults he hurled at me.  Functionally justifying his superior decision not to fight me because the odds would not be ridiculously in his favor.  He then continued calling me out after that flight.  I said enough and logged off.  I noticed before I did that he came back at 25k-ish and was ridiculing me for not fighting.

Maybe my encounter with the 190 exposed this gentlemen's 1 dimensional flying style.  Maybe that compelled him into defensive insulting mode.  I dont know.

I am just an average pilot but LOVES this game and opportunity to participate in it.  Latrobe your book hit the essence of the behaviors of these one-dimensional pilots spot on.

Perhaps the root cause of this type friction is the premise: because you dont fly the way I think you should fly, you  are a lesser pilot than I and deserve to be insulted.

Maybe we need to leave room for others to fly as they wish.  Some of us fly for the pure fun of ACM not for score.  To each his own.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:27:23 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:40 AM »
I'll add:

I think some of those that fly in the 1 dimensional way as Latrobe cleverly detailed are a little embarrassed about it.  I think they want to be thought of as a great virtual pilot and to them score is the holy grail of that perception.  So to knock how many ways score can be skewed insults them.

To me the most respected pilots in the game are those like Greebo, DrZ and Latrobe.  Take average planes and find ways to do amazing things in them.  I see something they do and want to learn it. Also the tenacity players like INK.  Fight in any situation regardless of the odds.  Love that!

Those are the true, unmeasurable, best type pilots in this game to me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:52:40 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 10:13:52 AM »
If nobody chooses to fight the airplane you choose to fly whose choice was wrong?   :D

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 10:24:24 AM »
Im too impatient to do the BnZ:ing, its just boringeven dough the K/D ratio is better in a Dora than in the Brewster. But its a lot more fun to just dive into a furball with the Brewster like a fat man doing the cannon ball into  a shark tank, Death often come very quick but its still more fun than doing 500mph passes and trying to get a ½ sec snap shot on a con fighting someone else...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
If nobody chooses to fight the airplane you choose to fly whose choice was wrong?   :D

State of the game issue...some current pilots have arrived to play this game long after the best pilots left or are on very long breaks so claiming uber is way gone.  The Grizzs and Batfinks and bighorns of old would fight and pwn turny planes in any plane they flew.

That's a fact.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »
Upon reading this thread I am reminded of the humor, smack talk, and banter of Air Warrior <sigh, those were the days>. History repeats itself.  :joystick:

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
Upon reading this thread I am reminded of the humor, smack talk, and banter of Air Warrior <sigh, those were the days>. History repeats itself.  :joystick:

Well it is many of the same people.  :D

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
State of the game issue...some current pilots have arrived to play this game long after the best pilots left or are on very long breaks so claiming uber is way gone.  The Grizzs and Batfinks and bighorns of old would fight and pwn turny planes in any plane they flew.

That's a fact.

This ^^^
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »

That's a fact.

^^
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »

That's a fact.

According to this logic the better pilots left the game long before grizz and batfink started playing.

HiTech

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
According to this logic the better pilots left the game long before grizz and batfink started playing.

HiTech

Leviathn

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »

That's a fact.

Yeah, Grizz was definitely one of the better opponents I encountered, by far.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
Yeah, Grizz was definitely one of the better opponents I encountered, by far.

Can you post some Youtube videos of you pwn'ing him please?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »

HiTech

Yep, guys like Lev, Drex, etc.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
Can you post some Youtube videos of you pwn'ing him please?

Is that an actual request?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."