Author Topic: idea  (Read 878 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
idea
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
after watching my flights last night...

I came to the conclusion that the icon settings should be changed...

they should be put to 9k or more...

I flew past many many nme, I had no clue they were there....so many fights that could have been had...chasing friendly dots and just missing the enemy completely....

I absolutely appreciate what you volunteers do...and I am not complaining...

I would think we all are here to have great fights with intense action...having 9/10K icons would assure that :salute

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
Re: idea
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 10:19:45 PM »
Hello Ink.  We don't think you are complaining and are always happy to listen to ideas.  We ran enemy dar bar last night and full friendly radar.  Nef is a Dreamer and he is always tweaking the event to make it better.  We will debate your thoughts (possibly endlessly) but ultimately the call is made by Nef (usually with HTC approval but, Skuzzy let's the dreamers run their event.  Until there is a reason for him to step in.)  Also wanted to thank you for the kind compliments you posted on the thread below.  Here's a Stat for you:  Nef dreamed up the idea for this event, floated it to HTC and runs it completely (with a small amount of technical help from yours truly).  But he has never flown a single CC.  Every time I tell him, I will run the arena and he can fly.  Nope.  He always makes sure the event runs for you guys...  Just wanted to brag on my boss for this event.  :salute
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline dogtag380

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:20:09 AM »
Hi Ink.  I hear what you're saying, but IMHO, i really like the short 3k Icon range.  It adds to the fog of war, and makes it a more intense fight.  When all of a sudden I see 4 or 5 enemy pop out of nowhere and they are 2.5k out and closing, I get an adrenaline rush :x, and have to make quick decisions to stay alive.   :joystick:

Also, just my theory, but because icons are short, there are less fights were people run/extend.  In the MA sometimes your stuck chasing an enemy 5.5k out and slowwwwly closing on them, they know they are being chased and you know you are chasing them.  With short icons, the fight usually starts within 3k, so its harder to extend or run away from the fight.  :airplane:  Also with friendly dot dar up, it's a bit easier to make sure that you don't chase friendly dots, needlessly.

I hope I do not discourage additional comments/suggestions, just wanted to put my opinion out there as well.  :cheers:
 :salute
AKTap
~Arabian Knights~
www.arabian-knights.org/

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Hello Ink.  We don't think you are complaining and are always happy to listen to ideas.  We ran enemy dar bar last night and full friendly radar.  Nef is a Dreamer and he is always tweaking the event to make it better.  We will debate your thoughts (possibly endlessly) but ultimately the call is made by Nef (usually with HTC approval but, Skuzzy let's the dreamers run their event.  Until there is a reason for him to step in.)  Also wanted to thank you for the kind compliments you posted on the thread below.  Here's a Stat for you:  Nef dreamed up the idea for this event, floated it to HTC and runs it completely (with a small amount of technical help from yours truly).  But he has never flown a single CC.  Every time I tell him, I will run the arena and he can fly.  Nope.  He always makes sure the event runs for you guys...  Just wanted to brag on my boss for this event.  :salute

I would have flown it again last night but my oldest daughter came by to visit.....

and bolded in Red is all that I ask... :cheers:

Nef is a man I respect...what you list is just one of the reasons :salute

Hi Ink.  I hear what you're saying, but IMHO, i really like the short 3k Icon range.  It adds to the fog of war, and makes it a more intense fight.  When all of a sudden I see 4 or 5 enemy pop out of nowhere and they are 2.5k out and closing, I get an adrenaline rush :x, and have to make quick decisions to stay alive.   :joystick:

Also, just my theory, but because icons are short, there are less fights were people run/extend.  In the MA sometimes your stuck chasing an enemy 5.5k out and slowwwwly closing on them, they know they are being chased and you know you are chasing them.  With short icons, the fight usually starts within 3k, so its harder to extend or run away from the fight.  :airplane:  Also with friendly dot dar up, it's a bit easier to make sure that you don't chase friendly dots, needlessly.

I hope I do not discourage additional comments/suggestions, just wanted to put my opinion out there as well.  :cheers:

I appreciate your response and I can understand the "fog of war" aspect you speak of....

my first thought was...I never chase anyone in the MA  :P

seriously though I don't chase anyone.... screw that if they don't want to fight...I let them run...or should I say...I let them go get the ALT/friends they need to feel comfortable with engaging...

I would think the type of person who flies these type of scenarios are more about the fight then the typical MA player...(I know not all of them are)

I literally flew past at least 5 different areas that had a lot of enemy in, but I had no clue they were there...(that was just in one sortie)

when I saw that....... I was just bummed that there was that many fight opportunities that I completely missed out on....

and I certainly understand the adrenaline rush... :joystick: that's what keeps me coming back...but I get a heck of a lot more adrenaline fighting 4...5....6...7.. guys than anything else

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »
<S> to both of you.  Trust me, no player comment on any SEA event goes without notice.  Have you ever considered the bravery of HTC?  "Alright, I am going to give you guys the keys to my game.  I will let you build custom events however you see fit."  Like FSO, this event is one of the best parts of the game.  Not because HTC let's us build it,  but because the players like yourself get to fine tune it.  I don't know of another game where the boss let's the players have that kind of input.  But I don't get out much.  You guys dream and we build.
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
What Snake said.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:59 AM »
The original idea for CC was to have more realistic and difficult settings than FSO. Over the last two years we have slowly eased up on that. Perhaps we will revisit this at  the start of the 2016 series.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
The original idea for CC was to have more realistic and difficult settings than FSO. Over the last two years we have slowly eased up on that. Perhaps we will revisit this at  the start of the 2016 series.

Thanx a bunch for response  :cheers:

one question....what is more difficult....flying around not seeing the enemy(which is what happened quite a bit in reality) or having to fight every step of the way :t

for all the time you put in!!!!! 

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:28 AM »
You make a very valid point Ink and I, for one, am a fan of longer icons in events like this.  However, one thing we will never do with CC is make major changes to the setup mid season without a very good reason, any changes that are implemented will be during the pre-season break.  I foresee a poll of pilots preferences in the future so start your campaign to talk everyone else into long icons now.  :-)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
You make a very valid point Ink and I, for one, am a fan of longer icons in events like this.  However, one thing we will never do with CC is make major changes to the setup mid season without a very good reason, any changes that are implemented will be during the pre-season break.  I foresee a poll of pilots preferences in the future so start your campaign to talk everyone else into long icons now.  :-)

:cheers: :salute