Author Topic: Mastering B-17's as the ultimate weapon in AH  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Mastering B-17's as the ultimate weapon in AH
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:05:53 AM »
I have been experimenting as much as possible since April flying sets of B-17G's in ever situation this game has to offer. It has lead to a lot of deaths at the hand of my enemies. It has also lead to many victories on every level of the game.

Now think about this real quick! B-17's can be flown in a way that allow spectacular dogfights. Even with a full set using the yoyo effect of the drones this bird can be a formidable force. With that said 1/3 times I am simply ate up if i try to engage this way.

Max ceiling under 8k. It's very possible to go into nme airspace and pick of a few at the expense of 1 or 2 drones. When engaging gv's 17's are a pure nightmare. I upped from a base last week that was being taken and within my first minute of playing I score 4 kills on gvs in town and 2 fighters.

Im flying these thing like I would jabos and it really makes a huge difference. Being able to go to any base and destroy whatever i want, kill anything in the air or ground, and be able to survive if I really want to gives me an experience I cant find in any other plane. There is nothing like throwing buffs into the vertical, hitting shift x and smacking a pony in the face. From the nose whos also in the vertical, out of a loop dropping in at 12 o clock high, and keeps goings right into the ground in a trail of black smoke :rofl (hurt me pretty good to but i still was able to pork ords and score a 3 rd kill.)

If I want to hit a strat factory if it goes undefended it is nothing to 0% it by gunning it down if im lucky enough to kill the aa.

CV's are a piece of cake. If I have time i like to troll them in radar to get uppers but out of 5" range. Its nice when you can land kills and cv damage.

Will some of you add what you think makes 17s special in this game. Share some war stories :salute
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:14:33 AM by Wizz »
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Mastering B-17's as the ultimate weapon in AH
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:25:41 AM »
Guess a set of B-17 can be an alternative for those hwo havent figured out how to use a fighter.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:17 AM »

well look at that.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »
Guess a set of B-17 can be an alternative for those hwo havent figured out how to use a fighter.
it would make a great alternative for new players although I wouldnt recommend it. Its not as easy as some people say to defend a set in the guns. Sure against noobs but against average or good players you need skill.

393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
the only person that i would consider a master b17 weapon would be 999000 

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »
Absolutely!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »
This is correct and he does not rely on the "yoyo effect of the drones" to take people out.  :rolleyes: 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
I have been experimenting as much as possible since April flying sets of B-17G's in ever situation this game has to offer. It has lead to a lot of deaths at the hand of my enemies. It has also lead to many victories on every level of the game.

Now think about this real quick! B-17's can be flown in a way that allow spectacular dogfights. Even with a full set using the yoyo effect of the drones this bird can be a formidable force. With that said 1/3 times I am simply ate up if i try to engage this way.

Max ceiling under 8k. It's very possible to go into nme airspace and pick of a few at the expense of 1 or 2 drones. When engaging gv's 17's are a pure nightmare. I upped from a base last week that was being taken and within my first minute of playing I score 4 kills on gvs in town and 2 fighters.

Im flying these thing like I would jabos and it really makes a huge difference. Being able to go to any base and destroy whatever i want, kill anything in the air or ground, and be able to survive if I really want to gives me an experience I cant find in any other plane. There is nothing like throwing buffs into the vertical, hitting shift x and smacking a pony in the face. From the nose whos also in the vertical, out of a loop dropping in at 12 o clock high, and keeps goings right into the ground in a trail of black smoke :rofl (hurt me pretty good to but i still was able to pork ords and score a 3 rd kill.)

If I want to hit a strat factory if it goes undefended it is nothing to 0% it by gunning it down if im lucky enough to kill the aa.

CV's are a piece of cake. If I have time i like to troll them in radar to get uppers but out of 5" range. Its nice when you can land kills and cv damage.

Will some of you add what you think makes 17s special in this game. Share some war stories :salute

So your "expertise" comes from exploiting elements in the bomber's flight model instead of actual skill.  To each his own I guess.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »

QFT

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
Let us not forget the fellows like Tatertot that were also quite good in it.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
Still a lot easier to spray the guns of a set of B-17 than fight in a fighter. And all needed is a 110 and the 17:s are toasted.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »

^ this!  :aok

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
Any time I see a set of low 17's i always treat them with respect because 999000 is probably in them.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
Waystin's and my squad mate "Fish" cannot fly fighters how ever he try's. But, he can take out a box of B26, hit a field and take down a few things, then fly after fighters in the local furballs and return home with 3 kills almost every sortie. Or just fly after fighters and land a few. I gave up giving him 6 calls after he replied it was the only way he could get kills by letting them on his 6.

999 is so good he can cover a town against M3 and kill all of them. He defended a town against M3 trying to take it. I was one of the M3. We never got to the town and the flag turned on us. He bagged me at least 3 times no matter what I hid behind. He flew at tree top level, saw all of us and mowed us down with his box of B17. Most players would have done town defense in a cannon bird.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
Aside from being extremely dangerous in 17s, triple 9 is also a pleasure to play along side and against.  To me, thats far and away more important than a player's skills.
AMAX  in game