Author Topic: Mastering B-17's as the ultimate weapon in AH  (Read 3698 times)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
Re: Mastering B-17's as the ultimate weapon in AH
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 07:22:42 PM »
So your "expertise" comes from exploiting elements in the bomber's flight model instead of actual skill.  To each his own I guess.

just like any other so called aircraft in this game :rofl
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 08:40:07 PM »
What ever puts cream on your bagel.

eeeewwwww.

This is a family forum.  Let's keep it clean.

- oldman

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
So your "expertise" comes from exploiting elements in the bomber's flight model instead of actual skill.  To each his own I guess.
That's right Ack Ack!!! Because around a thousand kills in 6 months, a couple hundred million in damage, or little over 500 bases from the start of the year with less than 3 people just isnt good enough for you people  :rofl

No one ever notices all the hours spent on strat runs or cv kills. Who gives a damn about how many hangers are killed or bunkers destroyed. Anyone can WF a town hell i can do it in 17's. No nothing is ever good enough, no one is better than the person reading this.

Its not about the player, if we are going to talk about me you simply cannot deny or confirm a dam word I say.

Hell I could just be making this all up but no its not about me  :neener:

its about the plabe and what it is capable of in AH. I just wabt to see a few more buffs step out of the box and fly these dam planes the way they should have been flown in the war lol :rock

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I call BS.  Flak is NEVER that heavy, unless someone has like 4 CV's clustered in 5 square feet of one another. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
I call BS.  Flak is NEVER that heavy, unless someone has like 4 CV's clustered in 5 square feet of one another. :)
bro There is video proof just watch above :banana:

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »
The reason that 999000 is the master of the b17's is because of how skilled he is in them.  Someone who truly has the skills does not have to constantly come to the boards and declare how good he is, or explain how he is the master.  You shall always be judged by your peers, and your opinion of how good you are has absolutely no value no matter how many times you create the same tired thread and declare your own greatness.

It is about the player, and how he conducts himself.  You've been told that a thousand times...................

and

yet

you

still

just

don't

get

it.

Face it, what are the odds that everyone else is wrong and you are right?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 03:21:48 AM »
B-17 is my least favorite bomber - heavy, slow, trading bomb-load for defense armament. Its has only two strong sides: firm airframe and good defense armament. Its huge range is irrelevant for AH as there are no real strategic campaigns (beside SEA) and bomber use is purely tactical.

I like flying bombers - but when I fly bomber my mission is to destroy/damage a target and almost never want/try to get kills. I consider my mission as most successful when I don't even met a fighter in a way it can endanger me.

If you consider your job making efficient and effective damage to enemy targets than B-17 is least suitable bomber for the role as per player. It has huge turn around time due to slow climb/speed vs its payload.

My favorite bombers to get the job done are: Ki-67, Boston III, Tu-2S and of course Mosquito XVI and Ar-234.

How are they different - it isn't about defensive armament - the guns are your least level defense, if a fighter got into shooting range and he is skilled enough - your chances are slim unless you super sniper (and most aren't)

Their defense is planning and speed: approach the target, get in, destroy the targets, get out and land. Shooting fighters at air-to-air shooting range IMHO is last resort.

Additionally being fast they allow much higher bomb delivery with survival generation rate per-player hour in comparison to B-17. As I can do several sorties in Tu-2, Boston or Ki-67 from much closer fields so I can bomb at relatively safe altitude with high survival chances in comparison to B-17 that have long climb to do.

My $0.02
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 06:35:10 AM »
MrCrowly in a set of Lancs would dominate Wizz in 17's.  He'd look a helluva lot cooler doing it too.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Grin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
B-17 is my least favorite bomber - heavy, slow, trading bomb-load for defense armament. Its has only two strong sides: firm airframe and good defense armament. Its huge range is irrelevant for AH as there are no real strategic campaigns (beside SEA) and bomber use is purely tactical.

I like flying bombers - but when I fly bomber my mission is to destroy/damage a target and almost never want/try to get kills. I consider my mission as most successful when I don't even met a fighter in a way it can endanger me.

If you consider your job making efficient and effective damage to enemy targets than B-17 is least suitable bomber for the role as per player. It has huge turn around time due to slow climb/speed vs its payload.

My favorite bombers to get the job done are: Ki-67, Boston III, Tu-2S and of course Mosquito XVI and Ar-234.

How are they different - it isn't about defensive armament - the guns are your least level defense, if a fighter got into shooting range and he is skilled enough - your chances are slim unless you super sniper (and most aren't)

Their defense is planning and speed: approach the target, get in, destroy the targets, get out and land. Shooting fighters at air-to-air shooting range IMHO is last resort.

Additionally being fast they allow much higher bomb delivery with survival generation rate per-player hour in comparison to B-17. As I can do several sorties in Tu-2, Boston or Ki-67 from much closer fields so I can bomb at relatively safe altitude with high survival chances in comparison to B-17 that have long climb to do.

My $0.02

The strength of the B17 is more apparent in groups. 3 sets of 17s at 12k can lay waste to a field, descend and clean up resupply trucks and enemy air. 10 sets of 17s is asking to die if you attack them. 20 sets is Baghdad '03 in the air. A single set of 17s can be a pain, but when you have 2 or 3 fighters attacking them can be destroyed in as little as 30-45 seconds. Another advantage of the 17s is stable flight at high altitude. Put 4 or 5 sets in a defensive formation for a long haul mission to a strat from across the map coming in above 26k and you're golden until they send 28 of those damned rocket gliders at you  :devil

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
No sir you are sadly mistaken. The plabe is what dictates what happens. I cant fly to base in a fighter and shut down multiple hangers. I cant defend a town against even 3 gvs in a fighter. I can however somewhat hold my own in a fighter when called apon.

The correct phrase in response is: necessary but not sufficient...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »
Defending towns in low buffs is prob the least "skillfull" way to do it, carpet bomb GV:s from 1000 ft is not anything that need practicing and most survivability comes from the buffs ability to absorb a lot of MG fire and thus makes them hard for any gv except Wirbs and Osties to shoot down. A skillful pilot in an A-20 or Tu-2 can kill multiple GV:s too but they atleast have to aim their bombs.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
MrCrowly in a set of Lancs would dominate Wizz in 17's.  He'd look a helluva lot cooler doing it too.

That so-and-so shot me down the other night. I was drooling over those Lancs, thinking they looked young and ripe for violation.

Then suddenly that popsiclecat had claws.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

Yankee, that was OUTSTANDING! Hell, I've still got a big SEG on my face after watchin' that!

Regards, Odd