Author Topic: Waffle "Iron out" the tree reflections????  (Read 602 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Waffle "Iron out" the tree reflections????
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »
FLS's video shows some terrain object problems. There are rice patty's laying at an angle up the base of the canyon side full of water. Worse they are doing the brown dirty tan water reflection response to the sun that should only happen if the patty is on level ground while full of water. Most of the videos showing the alpha do not look as good as running the alpha on your own PC.

Your satellite photo is from orbit down through miles of water vapor, atmospheric gas, and dust. When you are inside the atmosphere in an aircraft closer down it is different. The onboard computer is correcting for the atmosphere column. AH2 is a lot more like that satellite picture in terms of flatter washed colors.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
I think I'm beginning to understand the texture channel thing so now I have more questions LOL. I'll start with the easy dumb ones. Please forgive me if they're answered previously.

Why do you call the primary texture for an object or terrain texture, the diffuse texture?

Shouldn't there be a .txt file to accompany the bump map? And if so, what is the format?

What is 'the gutter' in a 508x terrain texture and is it really a 508x508 bitmap?

Is the gutter the reason I see a green(?) outline or border between some of the massed texture types? I see a border between some large areas of massed textures.
Here's a .psave:
-59803,10506,21583,180.0,-90.0,-180.0
ndisles
FOV = 50.5

The default terrain texture sets are arranged in '...\atlas\terrset00.res, 01.res and 02 etc.
I'm assuming the user's set will be in its own folder. Have you determined where it will reside and what the folder naming convention will be?

I haven't seen any trees with bear(ish) branches powdered with snow.
Hitech mentioned that the '3. Trees and other non damageable objects...<snip> but due to copyright issues they will not be replaceable or extractable.' Does this really mean we won't be able to replace them and won't be able to extract an example .ac file to create new ones?

In that same post, is a reference:
'Also I have included a sample of the different files for terrain textures.'
Are those samples found somewhere else?

P.S.
Oh, I forgot, and since no one else is asking as far as I know. Shouldn't there be at least one dedicated underwater texture, or did I miss it? The rest of the guys could do marvels with that stuff and water depth.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:07:33 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
I think I'm beginning to understand the texture channel thing so now I have more questions LOL. I'll start with the easy dumb ones. Please forgive me if they're answered previously.

Why do you call the primary texture for an object or terrain texture, the diffuse texture?

Shouldn't there be a .txt file to accompany the bump map? And if so, what is the format?

What is 'the gutter' in a 508x terrain texture and is it really a 508x508 bitmap?

Is the gutter the reason I see a green(?) outline or border between some of the massed texture types? I see a border between some large areas of massed textures.
Here's a .psave:
-59803,10506,21583,180.0,-90.0,-180.0
ndisles
FOV = 50.5

The default terrain texture sets are arranged in '...\atlas\terrset00.res, 01.res and 02 etc.
I'm assuming the user's set will be in its own folder. Have you determined where it will reside and what the folder naming convention will be?

I haven't seen any trees with bear(ish) branches powdered with snow.
Hitech mentioned that the '3. Trees and other non damageable objects...<snip> but due to copyright issues they will not be replaceable or extractable.' Does this really mean we won't be able to replace them and won't be able to extract an example .ac file to create new ones?

In that same post, is a reference:
'Also I have included a sample of the different files for terrain textures.'
Are those samples found somewhere else?

P.S.
Oh, I forgot, and since no one else is asking as far as I know. Shouldn't there be at least one dedicated underwater texture, or did I miss it? The rest of the guys could do marvels with that stuff and water depth.

Short version is you understand the name Spec map, bump map, alpha map, the color channel is simply called the diffuse because of how it is used in shaders.

Why diffuse. (It is simply what they are normally called)

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/11541/diffuse-map-and-texture-map

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Basic_Texture_Overview

It still does, but we much prefer that you now use normal maps vs bump maps.

Do to the way mip mapping works, for a atlas tile to mip map correctly the color around the edges must sample down correctly.
the 4 pixel boarder (512 - 508) is created automatically by ah when the atlas texture is created.
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding

Any texture can be used under water. But I believe the create all beaches turns them to sand.

The software used to create the tree objects and such are generated by speed tree software. We can not distribute that software to create other objects.

We could if we think it worth while import your objects into speed tree at our office, and then send out the speed tree built stuff.

I am not sure about creating your own complete terrsets, but you can override anything in a terrset by putting it in your terrain.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »
Thanks Hitech, looks like I have some more reading to do.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 07:08:52 AM »
I have at last isolated the PROBLEM that seems to be somehow exaggerated on my machine.  When I "Disable Detail" (check box 3rd from bottom right - Graphic Detail clipboard menu) the 'bright / shiny' ground goes away, and I see wonderfully blended scenery as I would expect.

Forgive me Waffle for calling on you, as the only thing that I could conclude previously was a color pallete issue.  It now seems that whatever function the "Detail" turns on, does not play well with my machine.

Since others have seen and shown similar experiences, it is at least something to put in your pipe to smoke, if there should be need for change or not.  Anyhow, since I seem to be the most severely afflicted, I am attaching my dxdiag with this post, in the event there could possibly be some hardware conclusions to be made from it.