Author Topic: Windows 10 Question  (Read 191 times)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
Windows 10 Question
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
I searched for an answer here, but I didn't see anything.

As I said before, right now I am on Win 7 32.  Had a plan to go to Win 7 64 to run Alpha.  This is turning out to be a bit of a pain.

Any advise/thoughts on upgrading to Win 10 for the Alpha?  I have read the posts in the general area on Win 10, and I am not looking forward to 10, but I may not be able to stay on 7 32 until support runs out in, what was it, 2020?

I would like to help out with the Alpha, so unless someone knows of a "don't do it for any reason" response, I am somewhat willing (but reluctant) to go ahead to 10.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
What is the reason for not being able to upgrade to Win7 64 bit?

In any case, if you want to go from 32 to 64, you'd have to do a clean install. Or that's what I believe... Had to do some research and this guy seems to nail it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-versions-of-windows-to/40d90c4e-8845-4bcb-bb2f-aeab312caf74. Read the red warning text.

With the same method you should be able to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit Windows 7 using your existing license code.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
I was going to say.  All you need is the 64 bit version of Windows 7.  Your existing 32 bit Windows 7 license is valid for the 64 bit version as well.  You do not need to buy another copy of Windows 7.

Microsoft use to provide the ISO images for Windows 7, but stopped doing so unless you have a valid activation key (not an OEM key). 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 is the link where you can download the ISO image of 32 or 64 bit Windows 7, with a valid activation key.

If your Windows 7 license was provided by an OEM (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba....) Microsoft provides information on how to obtain the image at this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_7-update/how-to-what-are-my-options-for-obtaining-windows-7/528163c1-0b2e-4ad2-a26d-7112851d1dc2

Hope that helps.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »
Thanks for the links, Skuzzy!

What I found in the last link is something many people might believe to be at least unethical if not illegal, or at least against the EULA, which it obviously isn't since this piece of advice comes directly from Microsoft:
What to do if you cannot get recovery media from your manufacturer, refuse to use or purchase it or the Microsoft Software Recovery Website is not working?

Your next best option is to borrow the corresponding retail edition (upgrade or full version) or OEM System Builder disc from a friend or family member who has a Windows 7 disc. You can also borrow any of the following editions: Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate and create your own disc which will give you the option of selecting the desired edition you are licensed for.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni