Author Topic: Advice for New Players  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Advice for New Players
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »
Hopefully this will save some frustration for new players.

1. Go to the training arena and get with a trainer. You don't want to know how to set up your guns when you get to a fight or where's my gear upon landing. Those may be unusual circumstances but you get my point. Trainers can tell you about using voice, trim, setting up guns, setting up views, how to set up your joystick, etc. These things are invaluable.

2. Read this forum. I believe you can get the times or setup a time for training. Further read the pinned threads.

3. Make sure you don't have too many processes running. You can see those using task manager. This will reduce resources need for smooth game play.

4. Get rid of any tool bars. I don't care how familiar you are with the name. Those are resource hogs.

5. You have to use an Antivirus, maybe not so much for this game but you can pick a virus up elsewhere. For instance, downloading new drivers. Find one that doesn't use too many resources. Further one virus will make the game almost unplayable. I can't recommend an Antivirus with any certainty but Windows 10 Defender seems okay. Some of the free ones overwhelm the system even if you turn them off.

6. Always be respectful no matter what the other players are saying. You will want to be in a squad at some point and squads like good behavior. Further it's a good reflection on your character.

7. You will get frustrated. Some folks have played for years and could even fly a brick very well. Don't get overwhelmed, take a break. Many old timers will often take a break when things don't go well. Then come back later.

8. Film your flights and fights. You can get a very good idea on what you could have done better.

9. Read the Technical and Hardware & Software forums. There is much good information there. Don't be afraid to post a question. Usually someone will answer right away. Normally another player and often an administrator.

10. Try all aspects of the game, vehicles, gunnery, bombing, dive bombing (JABO), and air combat.

11. Which plane to fly? So many schools of thought on this. Every plane is capable to a point and every plane has some weakness and some strength. Some say fly them all until you find the one you like. Others will tell you to pick one and learn it. Your decision. You will never know it all or all the different situations you can find yourself in.

12. Mostly have fun. It's truly an amazing game.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:59:56 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Advice for New Players
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:15:13 PM »
Excellent advice.

- oldman

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
Excellent advice.

- oldman
Indeed. I'd add one or two:

13. When installing this game, read the hardware requirements and make sure your computer is up to the task.

(14. Really, read this forum. The problem is, how to get the message through to the new players)
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Great write up.  Your post should be locked in up top for all to read when they arrive.  Nicely done.
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »
Go up in the training arena and practice flying looking out of different views. Look out your rear view and do a loop, a roll, a flat turn, then try a corkscrew or immelman turn. Try taking off and landing without looking at your instruments. Do the same looking out the top view. Then do it again looking back/up. Try it with every view in your cockpit until you feel comfortable executing these moves without looking out your front view.

It helps to take up a stall proof plane like a Brewster or an FM-2, but you should try this exercise with any plane you plan on flying in the MA.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 02:05:08 AM »
Nicely said buddy. Looking forward in seeing you soon.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline jones84

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
Indeed. I'd add one or two:

13. When installing this game, read the hardware requirements and make sure your computer is up to the task.

(14. Really, read this forum. The problem is, how to get the message through to the new players)

I think simple. Bring the message to them. Auto create them a BB account upon activation or using the same credentials as login and include references to the BB on in game navigation, menu and help menus. I flew a few years back and just now on the boards, mainly because I would have had to go and search for it and was never guided to it. Just my 2 cents

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 09:19:43 AM »
I think simple. Bring the message to them. Auto create them a BB account upon activation or using the same credentials as login and include references to the BB on in game navigation, menu and help menus. I flew a few years back and just now on the boards, mainly because I would have had to go and search for it and was never guided to it. Just my 2 cents
If it only were that simple! The title bar of the front page clearly says 'Game Info', 'Downloads', 'Community', 'Support', yet many people only manage to navigate to the 'Download' section. After installing they then fill the radio buffer with questions like "how do I start the engine?", "how do I take off?" etc. and after some time they find this forum and start asking "why does my brand new $300 WalMart laptop show grey squares instead of icons?"

I have squad mates who have been nursed through the entire "getting started" process, including installation, board registration, access to squad forum etc. Yet they never log into the BB including the squad forum, having forgot both the address and their login info. I know a pretty decent AH player who probably doesn't even know how or where to download this game. Some people just don't read.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
Some people just don't read.
While this is true, there are also people who do make the effort to try and read before they resort to filling the chat buffers with "How to play," questions because it really is not all that simple to find the info. For those who have been around for years and years it is just that simple, but when you are new there is information overload just trying to find your way through the drop down forest of tree menus. I know it was for me when I first started around a decade ago. I looked and looked and overlooked. It wasn't until I overheard/read someone mention netaces. org before I was able to finally find my way directly to the basic information I needed quite easily. That was after 2 or 3 days of trying to be low key and not one of those newb question mongers that people don't like.

It really could be made a lot simpler than it is, but because those who make the decisions and/or the old BBS megastars are so close to it they have lost touch with the fact that it could be a lot simpler to have all those non-direct links either made more prominent, or as in-game/theater pop ups, or even packaged into a 'getting started' file included in the download for those of us who must be too stupid to get there right away. I think they are somehow feeling put down or something, because it is always nearly the exact same post, "The title bar of the front page clearly says 'Game Info', 'Downloads', 'Community', 'Support', yet many people only manage to navigate to the 'Download' section."

I don't get why after so many of these posts asking for simplification, they are still not getting the hint that it could be made easier instead of simply dismissing the idea out of hand. Having a friend or someone willing to hold your hand through at least the first week, maybe more, makes for much happier beginners who are likely to stay around. But how often do people luck into this situation? Not many. It remains my personal opinion that this area could easily be addressed and that no one is attacking anyone by asking for this, because no, when you are brand new it simply is not always that easy to find.

Same ole Two Pennies

:lipsrsealed:
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
Halo, you're right about simplifying. However, and I know this from experience gathered from hundreds of customers, even if the information were packaged into a 'getting started' file included in the download, many if not most people wouldn't read it. If people really read (and understood) at least the "mandatory" disclaimers and agreements of the programs they install, we'd have a lot less malware to deal with.

There's programs and games that don't believe in reading. Some programs such like some Microsoft FixIt apps simply say in layman's terms if the program can't be run on the computer in question. And some games insist on playing through a tiresome tutorial sequence before you're allowed to actually play the game. I'm not good with computer games, there's a couple of games on my shelf I've never passed the introduction part...

I wouldn't have stayed here for umpteen years without friends. One big reason is that all of the tutorials have been written in a foreign language full of terminology I'm not familiar with, or at least wasn't when I started.

Kotisivuni

Offline jones84

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »
If it only were that simple! The title bar of the front page clearly says 'Game Info', 'Downloads', 'Community', 'Support', yet many people only manage to navigate to the 'Download' section. After installing they then fill the radio buffer with questions like "how do I start the engine?", "how do I take off?" etc. and after some time they find this forum and start asking "why does my brand new $300 WalMart laptop show grey squares instead of icons?"

I have squad mates who have been nursed through the entire "getting started" process, including installation, board registration, access to squad forum etc. Yet they never log into the BB including the squad forum, having forgot both the address and their login info. I know a pretty decent AH player who probably doesn't even know how or where to download this game. Some people just don't read.

Sadly, you're right. But I stand by my suggestion , go where they are going. If most neglect to view it from the home page and just jump right in game then work there. Trying to change the player/download user just won't happen :)

IMO, they should read bits as their playing. Like first flight should have some popup of basics, controls to take off and links/references to BB or website for additional help.

You have to remember, consider the typical new player. He's watching Military Channel on some WWII documentary and is engaged with the content. Then an ad comes up for AH. He wants to jump right in the action not download, install then go read the BB for 30 minutes before he loads up.

Honestly, I think AH does a really poor job at this. I remember my first flight trying for an hour just to get up ...I would rather keep crashing on the runway trying then exit the game and go READ how....there should be some help there in game for that. From a business perspective, it just makes sense and is likely to generate higher ratio of users past 2 weeks.

Not attacking, just most software/games approach getting started like this these days (in game videos/hints/tips triggered by player events)

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:17:50 PM »
Halo, you're right about simplifying. However, and I know this from experience gathered from hundreds of customers, even if the information were packaged into a 'getting started' file included in the download, many if not most people wouldn't read it. If people really read (and understood) at least the "mandatory" disclaimers and agreements of the programs they install, we'd have a lot less malware to deal with.

There's programs and games that don't believe in reading. Some programs such like some Microsoft FixIt apps simply say in layman's terms if the program can't be run on the computer in question. And some games insist on playing through a tiresome tutorial sequence before you're allowed to actually play the game. I'm not good with computer games, there's a couple of games on my shelf I've never passed the introduction part...

I wouldn't have stayed here for umpteen years without friends. One big reason is that all of the tutorials have been written in a foreign language full of terminology I'm not familiar with, or at least wasn't when I started.

Hi ya Bizman,
I get it, my point really is that the info does not jump out at you. I am not a big fan of mandatory tutorials either, my experience with them is equal with yours and I would not ask for that at all, but if the 'Aces High II Quick Reference' page was clearly advertised with a big flashing/attention getting "download here" button or box prominently displayed on the main HTC web page would have been the single most important feature that would have helped me the most. Just to be clear though, I am only talking about those people who do want to read before jumping right in. There will always be those who want to play immediately because they can't be bothered.

Regards

Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »
if the 'Aces High II Quick Reference' page was clearly advertised with a big flashing/attention getting "download here" button or box prominently displayed on the main HTC web page would have been the single most important feature that would have helped me the most.

Sounds like something for the wish list.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
  I think all suggestions here are very good.  I have one to add (of course). 

Don't create an online account right away.  Install the game, and then spend some time in the Offline Practice arena.  Read the trainers page, and spend some time learning how to fly the plane.  Then create your online account, and jump in.

I know this won't fly with the play-right-away crowd.  But it would definitely make for a more successful and less frustrating start.  When I got my brother started, I told him to use the Offline Practice arena, and then I created a custom arena where we played tag for awhile.  It was very helpful.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »
Mongoose, that's a very sound piece of advise. When I started to play AH, asked to by a friend, we didn't activate our trial until some other players said we'd qualify. At that time there was no TA, but we had the free H2H arenas for max eight players. I must admit I've never read any tutorial, instead I've gathered a lot of information from squadmates - a term I use quite loosely, meaning primarily anyone who can speak my language and secondarily anyone who's willing to answer my questions. I now know everything in theory, in practice I suck. But I've made lots of great friends!  :cheers:

Kotisivuni