Author Topic: Please don't tell me...  (Read 3562 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: Please don't tell me...
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
i have used it to judge my vertical orientation. i use numbers in place of the right look horizon judgement.  in clouds it helps.  even a quick reference to bank angle.  all the while looking forward..through the gun sights.  :devil

also the attitude indicator is tough to read.  :old:  :bolt:

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
I wouldn't like all the clutter on the windscreen. Wouldn't this thread be better in the Alpha specific area though?

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 02:07:13 AM »
 :D
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
Turn it off, it was the first thing I did before my second flight in there.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 06:26:14 AM »
I see it coming... people accusing each other on CH 200 to be 'lamers' having the HUD enabled :rofl
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »
GV and like hanger dive-bomb attack will be more precise since gauging attack angle will be dead-on.

I could see it as a training aid like the green bomb and rocket aids in offline.

It has no place in the MA as far as I am concerned.

I would the like the FOV set as realistic as possible or more correctly as practical then not be adjustable.  Then delete the use of zoom.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 07:24:19 AM »
GV and like hanger dive-bomb attack will be more precise since gauging attack angle will be dead-on.

I could see it as a training aid like the green bomb and rocket aids in offline.

It has no place in the MA as far as I am concerned.

I would the like the FOV set as realistic as possible or more correctly as practical then not be adjustable.  Then delete the use of zoom.

What the devil is a "realistic" FOV?  1:1 with what you're looking at?  However many degrees your peripheral vision covers?

Not a fan of the HUD, still feel a digital display gives you a lot more accuracy and speed of information than you get otherwise, but I'll live.  Rangefinding icons and icons in general are something I think add to the game.  The hud info is no worse than that.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
I won't be using it.  I suspect many of us that already play won't be using it.  I expect many new people will be using it.  It may help them.  They may learn faster and stay in the game because of it.  Some of them will keep it.  Many of them will turn it off some day.  It's not going to win a fight for you, It's not going to give anyone an advantage against a seasoned player.

I would have only one small derision to voice against it.  Those who use it as beginners and keep it, wont have quite the immersion I will with out it.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
What the devil is a "realistic" FOV?  1:1 with what you're looking at?  However many degrees your peripheral vision covers? . . .

Wiley.

A give and take setting.  Set a balanced  view to a proper front windscreen view with what ever peripheral vision you can accept.  Not perfect for sure but at least you have a good firing view with a more realistic head position.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
A give and take setting.  Set a balanced  view to a proper front windscreen view.

There is not such a thing, it completely depends on how close you are sitting to your monitor and the size of your monitor.

Also monitors do not come even close to the visual clarity you have at the center of your vision when looking at things in real life.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 01:32:07 PM »
A give and take setting.  Set a balanced  view to a proper front windscreen view with what ever peripheral vision you can accept.  Not perfect for sure but at least you have a good firing view with a more realistic head position.

And the "realistic" setting for "whatever peripheral vision you can accept" is what, exactly?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »
 :cheers:
I think it's more to help flying in 3rd person view.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:41 PM »
Regarding FOV, like the boss said, it depends on how far you are from your monitor and what not. I've found that especially FPS games, that have an fov below 80 it makes me nauseous. That's my hobby horse is it drives me nuts when games don't have an adjustable FOV.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
Think of the HUD as an inner ear simulator.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 06:59:09 PM »
Quote from: FLOOB on July 15, 2015, 11:09:59 AM
Heads up display in a world war two aeroplane? Have you struck your head old boy?

People didn't get to fly again after death in WWII either. (I.E. Your simply playing the selective realism game)

The pitch ladder and the IAS & Alt are  no different then how our stall horn works. Some things simply are more difficult on a computer screen then in the real thing. Knowing your attitude and speed are much more difficult on a computer screen then in real life, especially when flying in the vertical. Hence the addition is simply a substation for the information (i.E. Feel and peripheral vision) that you would have in real life.

Doing accurate & realistic simulation is not simply a matter of it was xxx way in real life hence it must be xxx way on the sim. Some things simply can not be a direct substitution for real life because of the lack of feed back a 2 d monitor and a spring loaded joystick give you.

HiTech
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck