Author Topic: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Large terrains should not be taken out of rotation.
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2015, 05:31:14 AM »
Also, the Fester map, despite being large, actually generates the most fights out of any other map, IMO. I'd like to see that one stay.

As long as HQ is up.

Offline salt101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »
Also, the Fester map, despite being large, actually generates the most fights out of any other map, IMO. I'd like to see that one stay.

Agreed
Salt,
The three most dangerous vehicles in AH are the C47, M3 and LVT

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »
No need to remove any maps, just drastically cut the max arena up time. 3 days should be enough.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2015, 01:54:23 AM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:19:22 AM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2015, 02:18:54 AM »
Air Warrior (early to mid life of AW) had only a small fraction of the player base that AH currently has, yet it was nearly always possible to find good fights.  Of course, the whole Air Warrior world was about 2 sectors by 2 sectors of our sector sizes.

It's all an issue of density of players (players per area) -- not area alone and not number of players alone.

People who say, "Big maps are fine -- we just need more players" are correct.  But we don't have more players right now, so that is a moot point.

People who say, "To increase action, we need smaller maps" are correct.  And doing that is very possible.

I would very much like smaller maps or reduced active area however it is accomplished, especially off peak.

Having flown plenty of off peak (like 2 am and later Eastern time), I do not believe people who say, "It's no problem to find good action off peak".  I think that they don't know what they are talking about.  I think that they flew once off peak and it seemed OK, so they think that's how it always is, or they flew at midnight Eastern and thought that was off peak, or the have an amazingly low bar for what passes as "good action."

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
The map size problem can be fixed at the flip of a switch. A population problem cannot be fixed as easily.

If there is less action for a player to enjoy, they log on less or cancel their account outright. This equates to even fewer players because of the big map.

Map size and population are both problems, but only one is easily fixed and can happen over night.

This is the most correct answer, I was given the authority to judge this problem and make a determination, please send all you complaints to:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
Some small maps <gags>  :( make me log even faster.  Fester's map has the most action at almost anytime the HQ is not taken down, and it is one of the, if not the largest map (counting bases).

What I like to see is, a SMALL amount of time to the action, and a LARGE variation in the type of action.

Fester listened to many of the suggestions from players and achieved the above.  Some small maps pop up, and I immediately know what the tone of the fight will be=  Fly 15 minutes to find a fight resulting in a one way flight.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
Having thought about it, I still think the small maps give people that want to hide enough room to hide effectively.  However, maybe the benefit actually comes from people thinking it's easier to find the fight, therefore they're more active, therefore there will be more fights.

Bring on the placebos if they work.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »
It simply comes down to base distance + size of the map+ base position / # of players.

If either of these are off, the map wont be very enjoyable.

I think we all understand this by now.

It is up to Hitech to implicate those reasonable changes in the new game. I'm sure he is on to it.

A map with similar concepts that Fester has, but smaller, would add a great amount of fights and action to AH.

Once the HQ prob gets fixed, I think the maps will bring a lot of action for new players.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:44:00 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
 :bhead you guys need help. If you are not posting a mission be quiet and fly your plane.  :old:

:old:

:airplane:

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
Some small maps <gags>  :( make me log even faster.  Fester's map has the most action at almost anytime the HQ is not taken down, and it is one of the, if not the largest map (counting bases).

What I like to see is, a SMALL amount of time to the action, and a LARGE variation in the type of action.

Fester listened to many of the suggestions from players and achieved the above.  Some small maps pop up, and I immediately know what the tone of the fight will be=  Fly 15 minutes to find a fight resulting in a one way flight.

The HQ needs to be moved back behind the 163 base.  :old:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
I think the idea was to use the HQ to start fights. Everything about the Fester map is to funnel players into combat. I suspect the HQ placement on hindsight is a tactical boo boo. Fester if he is willing and around or HTC could move the HQ back between the un-capture able bases and put an end to much of the griefing on that map.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
If you guys could talk HTC into at least experimenting using 128x128 terrains since our numbers are so low, and they were a success,I'd gladly double the amount of MA terrains in just a couple weeks time.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »
If you guys could talk HTC into at least experimenting using 128x128 terrains since our numbers are so low, and they were a success,I'd gladly double the amount of MA terrains in just a couple weeks time.

128*128? Do you have any screenshots? I would really like to see one... And I thought 20*20 was huge....

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
128*128? Do you have any screenshots? I would really like to see one... And I thought 20*20 was huge....

He's talking miles, your talking grids.