Author Topic: "RAZOR" game booster  (Read 1462 times)

Offline vgazoo

• Zinc Member
"RAZOR" game booster
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
First does anyone use a game booster for this game? I am presently using, "Razor". My question is : When Razor is turned on, is there away for me to also use Ventrilo within the game as I'm playing? If anyone is using another type of game booster, also let me know what u recommend. Thanks for any info, happy flying! 1EAGLE1.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: "RAZOR" game booster
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »
You will need to do some reading about Ventrilo to learn what processes it relies on, and then avoid shutting down those. Shouldn't be too hard, really.

My machine is used for a variety of tasks by everyone in my family. When I get ready to run AH, I run (as administrator) a simple batch script that shuts down various things that my other users require. A reboot after flying returns the machine to general-use mode. In order to write this, I had to spend some time in the Windows "Services" tool, examining all the stuff I found that was running, and researching each program to learn its purpose.

Skuzzy's post "Hints and Tips" over in the Technical Support forum is very helpful. Link to that here.

FYI, a link to my own batch script file is here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:39:23 PM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »
You will need to do some reading about Ventrilo to learn what processes it relies on, and then avoid shutting down those. Shouldn't be too hard, really.

My machine is used for a variety of tasks by everyone in my family. When I get ready to run AH, I run (as administrator) a simple batch script that shuts down various things that my other users require. A reboot after flying returns the machine to general-use mode. In order to write this, I had to spend some time in the Windows "Services" tool, examining all the stuff I found that was running, and researching each program to learn its purpose.

Skuzzy's post "Hints and Tips" over in the Technical Support forum is very helpful. Link to that here.

FYI, a link to my own batch script file is here.

him writing his own batch file, might be a bit too much , unless he is used to writing batch files, Bino... I don't know him, but your going back 30+ years in computer programming on him, with writing a batch file ( I may be a few years off, there...edit: I was still writing my own batch files in 2002, for work purposes using AutoCAD and HVAC Load software )

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
My approach is a little more straightforward: Having cut my processes down to 30-ish, I usually only update my anti-virus, reboot, shut down Skype and start AH.

Why reboot, you might ask. I use Windows Live Mail and it leaves two processes running. They can be ended from the Task Manager, but they instantly turn back on.

Why have Skype automatically start and log in at startup? I would easily forget to ever turn it on if it weren't automated. I spend more computer time being available than playing AH anyway. Shutting unnecessary things down before playing is the way of least effort for me.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
The funny thing about the Razor game booster is that the program has a rather large resource foot print.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
him writing his own batch file, might be a bit too much , unless he is used to writing batch files, Bino... I don't know him, but your going back 30+ years in computer programming on him, with writing a batch file ( I may be a few years off, there...edit: I was still writing my own batch files in 2002, for work purposes using AutoCAD and HVAC Load software )

TC

While I freely acknowledge the... antiquity... of the batch file, it just seemed like the simplest way to automate shutting down a collection of services & processes.

:salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
The funny thing about the Razor game booster is that the program has a rather large resource foot print.

This and keep in mind that every Razer program mines data.  Synapse is the worst, but they all do it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
This and keep in mind that every Razer program mines data.  Synapse is the worst, but they all do it.
Thanks, didn't know that. Something to tell my gaming customers...

@Bino and those who thinks his method is archaic: If I'm right, the actual process behind a shiny GUI and data mining is a batch file. Maybe it makes use of PowerShell instead of CommandPrompt, but the basic idea is the same. Like they say, silicone boobs and a wooden steering wheel in a Pinto have one thing in common: They look good but don't improve driveability.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »
Thanks, didn't know that. Something to tell my gaming customers...

I got to have quite a few lengthy conversations with some former high level Razer exec's, who while enjoyed their Razer programs, never used them because of the data mining that happens with the Singapore mining servers.   I just simply got tired of their piss poor quality control and bailed on the brand for that reason alone.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
I got to have quite a few lengthy conversations with some former high level Razer exec's, who while enjoyed their Razer programs, never used them because of the data mining that happens with the Singapore mining servers.   I just simply got tired of their piss poor quality control and bailed on the brand for that reason alone.
Sorry to hijack this thread... Can the Razer products be fully used without their programs? I've been in the belief that they're of pretty good quality, so if their software isn't necessary the products by themselves should be satisfying. Or?

Kotisivuni

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread... Can the Razer products be fully used without their programs? I've been in the belief that they're of pretty good quality, so if their software isn't necessary the products by themselves should be satisfying. Or?

What has been told to me is that most can be used.  Backlighting (if applicable), some macros (unsure if third party programs exist) will be unusable.   Basic functions are utilized.

I was not trying to hijack as I was just trying to inform.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
Hate to further hijack the thread, but feel I must agree that their quality control has gone to toejam. I play WoW (not so much anymore but on occasion still) so I used a razer naga and it got to the point where I was buying a new one every six months-ish due to buttons failing. Switched to Logitechs version and it's lasted longer thus far. (knocks on wood)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:20:49 AM »
---
I was not trying to hijack as I was just trying to inform.
No, I meant myself asking out of topic questions. Thanks for the information.

Looks like a batch file or manually shutting down unnecessary services is still the safest way to go.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
While I freely acknowledge the... antiquity... of the batch file, it just seemed like the simplest way to automate shutting down a collection of services & processes.

:salute

I agree, it is a simple automated way , and prefer the idea, if I had to operate under the conditions which you have posted......

I was just making a note that the majority playing AH, would probably get lost or mess up in trying to make a batch(script) file perform properly, that they "wrote" for their PC....

ECHO OFF......hehe

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »
blackviper.com has a great detailed list of which processes you can safely turn off.  it also has a download batch file you can use.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.