Author Topic: Blacked out radar bars after fresh windows install *Solved* (Fester Map in LW)  (Read 964 times)

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
I am having an issue where the radar bars no longer have any color. I did a search and found one thread where it was suggested the latest Catalyst drivers needed to be installed, however I have an Nvidia card with the latest drivers installed. This happened after a fresh install of Windows 10. (yes I know its Windows 10, but that was what I was using before as well)

Any ideas?

May have something to do with the faults at the end of the dxdiag?

Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:58:09 PM by Stratocaster »
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Blacked out radar bars after fresh windows install
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
Were you running the free upgrade version of Windows 10 before?  It is different from the full installation of Windows 10.

I am seeing a lot of quirky driver related issues (video and audio) with Windows 10.  Still trying to figure out what all the issues are and how to work around them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
On the map currently up in LW (Fester), nobody has coloured radar bars, it's a map bug. Are they black in the other arenas as well?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
Dangit, a snail beat me to it  :old:  I had to log on to make sure Fester map was in rotation.  Fester stated in a post that he made the dar bar neutral color for both friendly and enemy on purpose (didn't state however what the purpose was).

Top dar bar = friendly

Bottom dar bar = enemy

.......... at least that's the way I remember it  :headscratch:

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
On the map currently up in LW (Fester), nobody has coloured radar bars, it's a map bug. Are they black in the other arenas as well?

Thank you Lusche! You are correct... They appear to be working on other maps. I would have never thought to check if it was a bug with the map itself.

Thank you for the prompt reply Skuzzy. I misplaced my Windows 7 DVD and key... It's in a box somewhere as I'm currently moving. I think I'll switch back when I come across it. Windows 10 does seem to be more trouble than it is worth right now...
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »
Dangit, a snail beat me to it  :old:  I had to log on to make sure Fester map was in rotation.  Fester stated in a post that he made the dar bar neutral color for both friendly and enemy on purpose (didn't state however what the purpose was).

Top dar bar = friendly

Bottom dar bar = enemy

.......... at least that's the way I remember it  :headscratch:

bug... err addition :) I can relax now.
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
It looks like a bug.  We have no idea how it could have been changed.  It is exclusive to this terrain.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
It looks like a bug.  We have no idea how it could have been changed.  It is exclusive to this terrain.
WW I map to start... possably

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
What chilli said is correct. Fester MA map always had black dar bars as far I can remember.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help

This statement bothers me, and it's the only real issue I have with HTC as a company.

This issue has been noted from day one when the Fester map was returned to the rotation (not Fester II, but the release we had a year or so ago). It has been commented on by the players on these boards many, many times. Yet this is the first official comment from HTC about it.

This leads me to believe that either no one at HTC plays the game any more (or they would see the issue and fix or comment on it), or they don't want to make "official" statements about issues they either can't fixed (easily) or are not planning on fixing for what ever reason.

If they are not playing any more how can they see/understand the changing dynamics in the game and so maintain quality control? Human nature makes game changes just as well as rewrites of code does. I know it is a knife edge they walk, but it the game play swings to far to one side or the other they lose players, not gain/maintain them. It makes sense that they would be better off keeping a close eye on what is going on in the game.

As for "official statements" I understand the need to keep SOME things under wraps, but rumor can be just as damaging as real problems. As for the dar bar color issue, a statement from someone at HTC saying "We are aware of the issue and are working to repair the bug in the next release" would go a long way for customer relations in stead of no comment and letting the community continue on with complaints and letting the negativity build toward HTC. I would think it makes sense to maintain the best possible relationship with your customers as you can.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
You are reading way too much into this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member

:rofl  I have to agree.  First, allowing player made content has both advantages (can we all agree we have seen many), and disadvantages (there have been exponentially large backlogs on new content approvals, which HTC recently addressed with a more streamline process for submittal). 

The simple feat of (not so simple  :uhoh ) terrain editing is constantly evolving as those that work in those areas use techniques to improve aesthetics, improve gameplay, improve quality and reduce end-user's cpu workload.  It might just be that color-blind dar bars aren't that high on the list for improving any of the above.  (I do agree Fugi, this is first that I have officially heard of this being a bug, but I do recall Citabria stating that "nothing was accidental" on this map.  I probably took his comment out of context).

Such a tiny benign matter doesn't harm the quality of the game, however if we pick at it enough, it may ....... fester... :bolt:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help

I don't know, the CV spawns were just fixed on this map, why not the DAR bars that have been screwed up for over a year?

Im not saying that they have to be fixed (it would be nice), but an official announcement stating that HTC is aware of the issue shouldn't wouldn't hurt. Not to mention that the announcement could/should have been made the first week the map was added back into rotation over a year ago.

Again, it's not so much the "fix", but the lack of communication, the disconnect with the community. It gives the impression that HTC doesn't care about their product as long as the money keeps. I know this isn't the case, but I have been here a long time, what do you think a new player thinks when he/she sees something like this?

Its a PR moment that HTC is passing up/ screwing up. 

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
They are busy working on Aces High III. Skuzzy responded within minutes to my concern... I've never seen such quick response to my questions from any other game developers, let alone one that has such a small team. Head over to the Open Alpha forum and take a look at the team listening and responding directly to players requests and comments. They are flat out on the new development. Dar bars on one map are the least of their concerns seeing as the improved game will be essential to providing a future for our community and bringing new players aboard.   :rock
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
I thought this was a Fester thing to keep people from avoiding each other. He didn't want players seeing the darbar color.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.