Author Topic: Windows 10 - The empire rules you  (Read 5960 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 10 - The empire rules you
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »
They're both working fine for me.
Windows 10 64Bit.

Coogan

Not anymore.
After installing the much anticipated and huge November update, aka Threshold 2 and bringing my OS up to Version 1511 Build 10586.17, CPU-Z and CPUID were both removed from my computer by Microsoft.
I do see quite an improvement in the startup time with the new update.  Microsoft claims that the startup time is about 30% faster than it was.
I'll keep messing with it tonight to see if I find anymore kinks...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
The behavior of the Win10 nag screen can get ridiculous at times. Today I worked with an HP laptop which popped up the ad. Nothing new with that, but the text in the ad was somewhat funny. After touting that the owner should upgrade ASAP, there was a text saying "The upgrade can't be performed because your computer doesn't meet the requirements".   :O
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
When I had 8.1 installed on my laptop I'd gone to blackviper.com and disabled, for the most part, all the "safe" processes.  I never even got the Win 10 offer until I restored my laptop OS so evidently one of those processes was stopping the Win 10 offer.  Might be worth some testing to determine which one it is.

That said so far I'm pretty happy with Win 10.  I went to the privacy settings and turned everything off and recheck them after updates but no issues so far.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:10:58 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
Did you have optional Windows Updates unchecked in your previous installation? Unchecking that tickbox can save you from much hassle if you do it right after installing Windows, before installing any updates.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
Yes.  I only had critical updates automated.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Yes.  I only had critical updates automated.
That's why you didn't get the Win10 offer.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
That's why you didn't get the Win10 offer.

That's okay.  Microsoft has a solution on the way.  They are moving that update from the optional to the recommended list.  This means if you have auto-updates enabled, you are going to get it.  They have announced it will be moving sometime this month or next month.

Once they do that, the only way to stop it is to disable auto-updates and run the Windows Update utility manually and than make sure to disable that update from coming down.  You will not be able to hide that update (along with another one) to stop it from coming down.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
Megahard hacking their own OS, love it.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 06:29:39 AM »
Based on past MS profit making methods since w95, I would WAG windows 11 will touted as the fix for w10 and w11 will not be free. 

I am being forced to w10 since my wife's computer is w10.  She always has questions like what happened to my contacts in my email.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:35 AM »
Microsoft has already announced Windows 10 is the last operating system they will release.  They are switching to a "service based" business where they may/could/probably will start charging for updates/upgrades to the operating system.

As to how it all playes out, we will just have to wait and see.  Judging from the number of people who cannot do without their "sparklies" I would wager they will do very well with that approach.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Microsoft has already announced Windows 10 is the last operating system they will release.  They are switching to a "service based" business where they may/could/probably will start charging for updates/upgrades to the operating system.

As to how it all playes out, we will just have to wait and see.  Judging from the number of people who cannot do without their "sparklies" I would wager they will do very well with that approach.

Maybe time for the world to move to Linux.  At the very least it sounds like an opportunity for an upstart to steal market share.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
--- they may/could/probably will start charging for updates/upgrades to the operating system.---

Knowing how many people wouldn't like to pay for the OS itself, I can see a great opportunity for hackers attacking unpatched computers. Remember Blaster, for which a patch was released almost a month prior to the appearance of the worm? Eight (8) Million systems got infected because they weren't updated or otherwise made immune. Also note that back in 2003 there were much less computers than today, and even less connected to the Internet. http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:22:15 AM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »
It would actually present an opportunity to Microsoft to create hacks/viruses/bots/malware/spyware and release them into the wild for the sole purpose of attacking unpatched computer systems.

Of course, they would not directly do such a thing.  It would appear out of nowhere from some system on the other side of the world.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:03:24 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »
Your criminal imagination is even darker than mine...

Kotisivuni