Author Topic: Thank You Black Friday - New Build  (Read 2822 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Thank You Black Friday - New Build
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:05:42 AM »
After almost eight years running on my last build without an upgrade I decided to pull the trigger on this tonight:

CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $254.99
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler $59.62
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $4.63
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.99   
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $134.99
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $71.33
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.10
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $270.99
Case Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $77.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $14.99
Sound Card Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card $64.99

Total: $1253.60

Well, actually it took me a little longer than tonight to decide but tonight's when I committed.  I watched the component prices drop all week and I'm guessing Black Friday didn't hurt me.  In fact I thought this was a really good price for a pretty strong box.

I'd originally set a budget of $1000 but was planning on using the case (Cooler Master), PSU (850W Corsair) and Optical Drives (ASUS DVD and ASUS DVD Writer) from my old machine.  The PSU is about 5 years old and has spent much more time turned off than on so I'm guessing it still has a long life but thought why take a chance.  I decided to replace the case simply to get front access to USB 3 ports (for a USB 3 SD/microSD reader) and my DVD writer wasn't working so I ended up buying two (one for each machine).  Without those decisions I'd have beat my budget but now I get to keep my old box intact although I am moving the DVD player and 2 500 Gb SATA 3 HD's (as deep storage) from the old machine to the new one.

I also had a copy of Win 7 that I was going to put on the old machine but at 4 Gb memory I held up thinking this day would come.  I'm planning to install it on the new build then immediately upgrade to Win 10 (I just moved my laptop to Win 10 last night) leaving XP on the old box which will retire to storage.

Again, I thought this was a really good price for a leap to new technology.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:15:27 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Thank You Black Friday - New Build
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
Looking good, the only thing I would add is a SSD for the OS, and most used programs.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
He's got one on there, not sure if it was an oversight before the edit.

Looks good, a solid PC. I wish I could get another Gigabyte G1 970 for that low, good god.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
Now that is awesome!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »
Very solid build - the guys over at overclock.net are wild about the eVGA power supplies, I think I see them recommended more than the Seasonic/Corsair Seasonic built ones now.  No idea why, they just are, and many seem happy with them for a cost/performance PSU.

Samsung sold a pile of drives this week, I bought a couple 500gb Evo 850s myself that saved 170$ combined here, same with a couple 980tis, my shop had a deal on an eVGA model with the ACX cooler for 125$ off (CDN prices).  Bought a Samsung 950 256 m.2 drive, we'll see how m.2 works compared to the Intel 750 PCI-E.

Good cpu that 6600k should be, lots of good overclocks I'm seeing online, if you wish to, you should be able to do a solid mild-medium OC with that cooler no problem. 

Great deal on the 970 too compared to prices up here, and that MSI M7 MB is the same one I have in my 6700k build - great stock audio,  you'll be impressed compared to your last system even with a "regular' gaming headset.  Much louder if you found your last one quiet. 

Everything in that build is quality components, you should get good results and longevity.  I went with the DH15, having the DH14 air cooler before, not liking the AIO water ones too much after a corsair one leaked all over my MB once.  They are large, the higher end Noctua ones, but work really well.  I'd be interested to see your results if you O/C with your cooler.  That Corsair case is decent too, I went with a 750D for my 6700, but would have bought the same one you did if the C70 hadn't been on sale for 75$ (50% off here).

You'll be able to upgrade your vid card in a few years if you need to with this system easily as well.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »
It took a couple of weeks for all the parts to arrive but I got them and have spent the last two days slowly assembling this machine (off and on).  Still a lot of software to install but I don't expect that to take long and I haven't started overclocking yet.

My first impressions:

The case is absolutely fantastic.  Lots of room, accommodations for eight system fans (two front, two top, one rear, two bottom, one side) all at 120mm except the side fan at 200mm and excellent cable management for a totally clean installation.  Front, top, rear and bottom of the case are all mesh with removable filters so, along with the fans this thing really breaths and it's tool-less to boot.  The drive bays accommodate both 2.5" amd 3.5" drives without adapters and are removable if you need more room (I can't imagine needing more room).  Highly recommended.

I've got two front, one top, one rear and one side fan mounted (along with the CPU fan, PSU fans (bottom and rear set to eco mode) and GPU fans).  Front and side are controlled by a three position front panel switch that I have set to the lowest setting while I've got the top and rear fans on smart fan.  Earlier today after running for several hours my CPU was running at 29C and system at 31C while fan speeds were less than 1000 RPM across the board.  This is the quietest machine I've ever owned.

The Samsung EVO 850 SSD is lighting quick.  I had the BIOS set to fast boot but turned it off as I couldn't see what key to hit to get back into the BIOS.  I had to look it up in the manual lol.  I'll probably turn it back on later.

The Creative Z sounds awesome and the tool kit that it comes with allows some really nice fine tuning options.

I'm not wild about the MSI motherboard BIOS but it seems to have everything I'll need.  I liked the layout of my old Nvidia BIOS better.  Regardless everything on the motherboard worked flawlessly until I tried to turn off the Realtek audio.  After doing so every time I tried to reboot Windows it would shut Windows down leaving the fans running and I'd have to hard power off using the PSU switch then reboot manually.  I finally disabled the Realtek audio in Windows leaving it on in the BIOS and that did the trick.  As soon as I set the XMP profile in the BIOS it immediately bumped my RAM to manufacturer specs.

Haven't gotten to put the GPU through it's paces yet but I'm close.

I'll post a little more and some pictures sometime this week as I continue to slowly get this up to speed but so far so good.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
looks very nice BE,  I tend to do the same as you get some quality stuff and then don't worry about it for a few years. 

8 years is really good going, my tower is around 7 years old with just one upgraded gfx card in that time.  Been looking at options but can't justify a new rig when my play hours have gone down the crapper! 

I guess the defining moment comes when AH3 grinds to a halt over TT with hundreds of players dogfighting.   :uhoh  :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »
So I said I'd post a few pictures.  I'm a little later than expected due to Christmas but better late than never.

Fist a few pics of the case I like so much then we'll get to overclocking:

Here's what the internal cable management ended up looking like:

But I can't show you the good stuff without acknowledging the mess behind the motherboard (I tried to keep it reasonably neat)  Note that all the drives connect back here:

As to cooling here's the dual 120mm front intake fans (lights are on... they can be and normally are turned off by a switch on the front panel):

200mm side intake:

120mm rear exhaust (there's another intake fan on the PSU taking air in from under the case):

And finally the 120mm top exhaust (top panel popped off with room for another fan):

So everything built I set about overclocking the CPU.  At stock settings my 3.5 GHz 6600K was rated at 3.5 GHz running at 3.9 GHz in turbo mode.  I spent several days on this trying different things from raising the Bus speed (bclck as it's currently known) to simply increasing the multipliers and, in both cases, raising voltages as needed.  I found that raising the BUS speed gave me higher temperatures for (roughly) the same outcomes in terms of overclock so eventually decided to stay with the 100 MHz base clock.

I tested in even increments getting stable overclocks at 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 GHz running Prime95 for at least thirty minutes at each clock speed.  I hit 4.5 GHz but never finalized for stability as temperatures got uncomfortable.

At stock settings I was running 59-60 degrees C under full load.  I didn't have to increase Vcore until I hit 4.2 GHz and then by only 0.025V producing temps of 60-61C under load.  At 4.3 GHz temps had risen into the mid 60's, at 4.4 GHz into the low 70's and at 4.5 GHz exceeded 80C.  Maybe a better cooler would get me there but this little Noctua was doing OK.  Liquid cooling would surely take you past 4.5 GHz.

I had a hell of a time figuring out how to retain Intel's power management features while getting the OC I wanted but I finally got there using offset voltage.

The MSI BIOS is certainly different than my old Nvidia BIOS but offers all the flexibility you need and has EZ (Game Boost), normal and advanced overclocking settings to fit whatever level you're comfortable with.  I played with each and noticed the EZ mode settings really cranked up the voltages/heat for the same outcomes so this method might be best avoided.

Also, I started and ended by setting up fan profiles.  The three intake fans are all controlled by a three position front panel switch.  I found that even under full load my temperatures actually increased by turning up the intake speeds so I left them at the lowest settings.  The CPU and exhaust fans are all set to smart fan and set to max out at 60C as I normally shot for that as my high temp and 30-40C at idle.  My monitors won't show 100% use as I've calibrated them to the highest fan speeds recorded which are rarely hit.  Even cranked up the fans are mostly quiet.

Here's where I ended up (screenshot of my monitors under full load about 20-25 minutes into a test in Prime95):

That screenshot shows 60C but it spends equal time between 60 and 61C.  All in all a 0.3 GHz increase over stock turbo (8%) and 0.7 GHz over rated speed (20%) for a 1 degree increase in temperatures (2%).  Pretty comfortable for a daily overclock and right at Intel's historic 20% "easy overclock" mark and I was able to boost the Ring Ratio (CPU cache ratio) to synch with the CPU at 1:1 without adding any additional voltage.  You'll also notice I'm still under Intel's recommended stock voltage of 1.2V.  Recommended max is somewhere between 1.40-1.45V so I have a lot of headroom.

By retaining Intel's throttle management I'm able to idle at under 30C at ~0.800 GHz:

The CPU only uses as much power as it needs.  In normal use (browsing the Internet, working in Office, listening to music, etc.) I never exceed 30C with the CPU running between about 0.8-2.5 GHz.

By the way, I made a few tweaks and changes to the monitors I built using Rainmeter (more in this thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,376452.0.html).  I really like how they turned out and they were very useful in overclocking my CPU.

So finally I decided to jump into the game and see what I had.  Here's the settings I ended up with:

Oddly, I thought I'd get better performance with shadow texture size at 1028 but was instead getting stutters until I turned it up to 2048 at which point everything was smooth as butter.  Playing for an hour or so I never saw fame rates drop below 59 and they spent approximately equal time at 59 and 60 which is my monitor's refresh rate.

Exiting the game my CPU temps were under 45C although by the time I hit my desktop I'm sure they'd already had a chance to come down.

All in all I'm extremely happy with this build for only $1250.  I haven't OC'd the GPU yet and likely won't as I currently don't see the need.  Maybe that will change with the graphics update but until then I'll just leave it alone.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
Nice!

BTW is your software for sale? I noticed there's a lot of empty space at the right edge of my desktop, CPU/GPU/System is what I'd like to see with my E8500 running @ 3.8 GHz...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
Nice!

BTW is your software for sale? I noticed there's a lot of empty space at the right edge of my desktop, CPU/GPU/System is what I'd like to see with my E8500 running @ 3.8 GHz...

PM me your e-mail and I'll send them to you.  You'll need to install HWInfo as the back-end and readdress the monitors to match your system but it's not a big deal.  I've got a tool included that gives you all the monitor addresses.

BTW if anyone knows how to find the address of your GPU fan speed monitor I'd love to add that one to my monitors.  HWInfo doesn't provide it but I know it's there as Nvidia Precision can find it.

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
Have you looked at Openhardwaremonitor?

DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »
Good to see you back online now, BE...nice looking build

Have you looked at Openhardwaremonitor?

(Image removed from quote.)

is it any better than ADIA64 Extreme?   just curious?

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »
I don't know if Openhardwaremonitor is any better than ADIA64 Extreme since this is the first I've heard of it.

After looking I see that AIDA64 provides a lot more info, but is it enough to justify the price?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:22:45 AM by 633DH98 »
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing the info on your new build BE.  I am in the market for a new rig myself and am getting close to pulling the trigger on one which has a fairly similar configuration as yours.  You said you were getting solid 59-60 fps.  Was that in AH alpha?  Would be very interested to hear how your rig handles the alpha.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 09:30:49 PM »
Having priced out for kicks an identical system at my local PC gaming shop in Canada, this build/price is truly a great deal.  Good performance numbers as well.  Should last you a long time, if you need/want to be upgrading the GPU, it will be a snap in the future.