Author Topic: P-38 attacking bomber formation-angle of attack?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
P-38 attacking bomber formation-angle of attack?
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
I can make a good slashing attack on a bomber formation from a high position, and survive but the amount of damage I do per pass with the P-38 is not as much as I would want.  On occasions, while taking my time slashing away at a set of B17s as an example, a P-47 or heavy hitting canon plane will pull up on the bomber's six and take them out.

My passes are very close to the red bombers often going between planes in the formation.  The P-38 has the hitting power but I don't seem to be able to attack at an angle that gets enough hits to take a bomber out on the first pass.  On the bomber's six, with zoom, you can do a lot of damage but as everyone knows, that will get you shot down in a hurry.

Any suggestions for the proper attack method using a P-38?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: P-38 attacking bomber formation-angle of attack?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
Put the bomber in your front quarter view and hold it steady on the cockpit glass until you get close then duck. Practice on the drones.

Let me know if you need help with that. Here's a film but you need to play it in the alpha. Bomber Merge

And let's reserve angle of attack for the angle the air meets the wing.  :aok

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
I always like to attack from the front high about 11 o'clock position. At this angle it's difficult form them to lead you and get all the guns facing you. Attack the formation from right or left or left to right so that all the guns cannot shoot you. If you come in high from the front, roll over, and get a steep angle, while shooting at the cockpit, you should hopefully kill them without them hitting you too much.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
Try setting up the attack so you get a good shot at the cockpit!

Just a few rounds into the cockpit area should do the trick,if you can get an angle so 2 of the formation plane line up you have a better chance of nailing both in the cockpit area.

It's been my experience that a good cockpit hit will make the buff go BOOM!!

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
In the Southwest Pacific, USAAF and USN pilots either used the overhead or beam attack against bombers, with the overhead attack being the preferred method.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Strong words of advice that should get me right on track.  I thank you all.  Pure good stuff.

Randy1

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »
One more thing Randy.

After you make the pass going down. Obviously cutting throttle is necessary. Do a nose down turn under the bombers and get out in front of them quickly. This way you can climb back up out in front of the bombers rather than behind them. This allows you to roll back over from the front high 11 position, instead of climbing behind the bombers, which is their strongest position.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 06:14:30 PM »
I usually get above them and dive straight down for the leader....as I get in closer I take the right bomber right wing and climb straight back up. Then I split S and continue the same procedures. Never ever ever ever attack from their direct 6 lol.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »
Ran into a set of bombers where the player had obviously just read this thread :D   He gave up his bomb targets to do evasive maneuvers making it difficult for me to set up the front-high attack.

It's going to take some practice to get a good pattern going.

One more thing Randy.

After you make the pass going down. Obviously cutting throttle is necessary. Do a nose down turn under the bombers and get out in front of them quickly. This way you can climb back up out in front of the bombers rather than behind them. This allows you to roll back over from the front high 11 position, instead of climbing behind the bombers, which is their strongest position.

I did cut back under the set and got hit by some good shooting on his part. Next time I will pay more attention to the bottom turn as you noted.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »
He gave up his bomb targets to do evasive maneuvers.

Count that as a succesful attack.  Even if he got away, making him miss his target is still a win.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »
Regardless of type of plane, I always use the same tactic.

Attack from high and above.  Depending on the bomber, I hit it in a different place. 
B-24, left wing root - once it's on fire, peal off and reset
Lanc and B-26, Wing tip - Once you knock it off peal off.  They will spiral away, and have a hard time hitting you until the bail or explode.  Reset the attack. 

Ask 999000 how it works  :D
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
  My problem is getting in the right position to start the attack.  That's why I usually end up in the kill box.  That and the fact that when I do get in good position for a slashing attack, I usually miss because I am a lousy shot.   :frown:
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »
Before everything else, any skill, any plan, any flying, any gunnery.....before that all, there is one thing that you must absolutely bring and from that everything is possible.....that is Patience.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
  My problem is getting in the right position to start the attack.  That's why I usually end up in the kill box.  That and the fact that when I do get in good position for a slashing attack, I usually miss because I am a lousy shot.   :frown:

Start high and in front or to the side. You end up in the kill box when you point at the bombers. If you aim at the bombers for a tracking shot you have to get your nose off the bombers before you end up on their 6.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
not sure if this helps or not but I have some film of what I think is a good series of attacks. My gunnery is still lacking (I'm only just back)
but I think the approaches are sound.

www.baileyarabians.com/AH/BomberKill/how_to_kill_bombers.ahf
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.