Author Topic: One second after  (Read 4426 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: One second after
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
Let's not forget the carnage as the Social Media Addicted go insane and start jumping off bridges when they can't check their Texts, Tweets, Facebook and Instagram droppings for a whole 5 minutes...

My 15yr old daughter came to mind when I read this. Thank god I know she can live without it....we just got back from hunting in the mountains for a week with zero cell or Internet service....she survived un-scathed
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
I'd like to read this book. As an electrical engineer, and always love a good Armageddon story, this idea has always intrigued me. Even though it has been noted that some significant number of autos and other vehicles will likely still function following an EMP attack (and more, in the case of a solar flare scenario), my own opinion is that somewhere between 70% to 90% of the US population would be dead within a year of such an event. There is no way the rest of the world (assuming they were not also affected) could respond within the one to two week window, with sufficient resources, necessary to prevent the millions of deaths that would occur with that time frame. Oh, and those back-up generators to keep the nuke reactors from melting down? They do not typically have the fuel to run those generators long enough to "safe" the facilities. They've got enough to run the pumps long enough to restore power from the grid, which would be down for as much as a year in this scenario.

The instant loss of most civilian communications, along with all the computers that run everything these days, would prevent the federal and even state government from mounting any serious response. Fuel would not be pumped, water would not flow, air and rail traffic would be paralyzed, followed by road traffic once the fuel in your car and stored locally at gas stations runs out (assuming the computer controlled electric gas pumps wouldn't also be down). Also, while most large financial institutions have EMP hardened databases, that won't help the average person. Most people don't have more than $100 cash on hand, and stores will likely go cash-only (until the 3-days of food has sold out). Instant inflation (supply and demand doesn't take a holiday for this) will insure that $100 won't last long. I could go on, but anyone who thinks about it will realize it's a worst-case disaster. Even if only the USA is hit directly, it would be felt world-wide. The USA is a major exporter of food, and the world financial markets still use mostly the US dollar as their reserve currency. Add to that that many countries' economies are greatly dependent on US trade, the resulting world wide financial catastrophe would insure the rest of the world would be too busy dealing with their own collapsed economies and resulting societal chaos to provide more than lip-service aid to the US.

It is criminal that our Federal Gov has not spend the roughly 2-3 billion dollars it would take to prepare for such an event (I hope that, should it occur, a hungry D.C. populace will turn to them as a ready source of protein...would serve them right). Purchasing back-up transformers, upgrading surge protection capabilities, and breaking up the grid into a larger number of interconnected, but quickly isolated, sub-grids could be started tomorrow. The inability of Congress to take action is nothing short of treasonous.

Since the government will be of little help to the average Joe, what can you do to prepare? At a minimum, I'd recommend the following first steps:

1) Have three weeks of non-perishable food, plus water, in your home. It won't see you through the full-duration of such a disaster, but you'll survive longer than most people. Plus, for less society ending disasters, it gives you options. For quite a bit less than the cost of a new car, you can actually procure a year's supply of freeze-dried food (25-year shelf life), but start by simply buying extra cans/boxes of stable, easily prepared food that you already buy. Once you've got a stockpile, rotate it as you use and buy more.

2) Prepare a 72-hour bug-out bag for each member of the family. Some disasters will be such that sheltering in place is preferred, but don't count on it.

3) Cash is king: have some cash ($1,000 is not too much) on hand, as well as barter items like silver, gold, and ammo (the three precious metals; gold, silver, and lead).

4) Very important: have a plan and make sure your family knows it.

Note on firearms: I know the fluffy, non-scary thing to say is that, "If you don't feel comfortable with having guns in the house, than don't." However, the four horsemen are not gonna politely knock on your door and say pretty please. A firearm is an equalizer, and in the event of a large scale disaster, the police are not going to be available to patrol the streets or respond to your 9-1-1 call (assuming your phone still works). Fun thread (in a warped way).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:26:07 PM by Sabre »
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
I'd head to the coast. A place where a freshwater river met the ocean.  There's your water and food.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »
I've just watched Glenn Beck and former CIA Director James Woolsey talking about the possibility of an EMP attack coming from .... Iran; (video below, interesting discussion)     He could be is right, it's been written  ... Persia/ the medes are going to be used by God to punish the world in last days;  :old:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/12/15/former-cia-director-warns-of-potential-catastrophic-attack-from-iran-on-u-s-soil/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:36:56 PM by ghi »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:36 AM »
 :rofl

How many of you have worked 12 hour night shifts and had nothing to show for it?

There is no EMP in the Gettoe :rofl

You all need to get out more.

Buy a motor bike.

No EMP when you have bills to pay.

EMP was invented by the Redcoats

If you all give me $5 I have a special selection of mouse milk that protects you from Commies and lizard men. :rofl

How much did this bloke make out of his book?

REALITY CHECK there is nothing you can do  :rofl

Go live in a hole :rofl

Please note I will not post gibberish over the Christmas period because I will very drunk preparing for the North Korean invasion of Greenland.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 02:55:47 AM »
yes the enemy will send a few nooks to get rid of our power grid.  and we in return will send a couple of thousand nooks to blow up their country.

so who wins the war?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »
What war?

The GFC

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
What Sabre says is spot on.
I would disagree with "Cash is king" though, it would be rendered useless. Sin items such as bullets, cigarettes, etc will be the currency initially, then gold, silver etc once stability comes back.

IN regards to my family, we're sitting on 2 months supply of food, water, even fuel for the generator and we'd harbor in place at our home since there are 10,000 acres of elk, deer, and fresh water supply 100 feet down at the bottom of our backyard. Therefore I keep 100 lbs of salt, sugar, wood chips and a large smoker should we need fresh meat.
I understand that a lot of city folks would move out into the areas we live in to forage but we're quite well protected with a cliff behind us and 59 other neighbors in front of us. :)

Our "Family plan" is "Every meet at home". Wife and I have 3 day bug out bags in our car, kids are both adult boys and on their own to make it back but they are not far from home.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
 I watched the video below on BBC yesterday,  interesting when asked about ww3,  Edgar Cayce mentioned the "straits above Australia". :noid

"Strifes will arise through the period. Watch for them near Davis Strait in the attempts there for the keeping of the life line to a land open. Watch for them in Libya and in Egypt, in Ankara and in Syria, through the straits about those areas above Australia, in the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf.” Edgar Cayce reading (3976-26) April 28, 1941

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35031313

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »
Only a real psychic could predict strife in the world.  :old:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »
I have a spoon and a stick from a dead tree if THEY do something.

Comedy gold to be honest.

And a bit sad really that grown ups don't actually grow up👀

Apparently WWIII is next Wednesday or Thursday .

The GFC

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
I have a spoon and a stick from a dead tree if THEY do something.

Comedy gold to be honest.

And a bit sad really that grown ups don't actually grow up👀

Apparently WWIII is next Wednesday or Thursday .

Zack I heard 1 side said wait till after Xmas and the other side said whats Xmas??

It will take years to explain this so we have little to worry about until then.

You should move to Canada,they issued lead foil to line our igloos!

The RCPP stand on guard for thee!

:salute

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2015, 02:01:47 PM »
I love you in a manly way only  :old:

The GFC

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
What Sabre says is spot on.
I would disagree with "Cash is king" though, it would be rendered useless. Sin items such as bullets, cigarettes, etc will be the currency initially, then gold, silver etc once stability comes back.

Your point is well taken, Rip. I was really talking about the first few days of a crisis, before true panic sets in. During that brief window, before people realize that the cavalry is not going to come in and save the day, most people/businesses will still take cash. And in the event of a shorter-term, less apocalyptic disaster cash will generally continue to be accepted. Recall that during the Great Depression, the banks were closed for a short time; those without cash on hand were left more desperate than those exercise that authority again. So I still strongly recommend people keep some extra cash on hand.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
What disaster is this then?

The Charlton Heston type or the Mel Gibson type?

Or ths Jack Nickleson type in "One fles over thd Cuckoos nest"?

Maybe Donald Trumpy pants wig will save us?

No wonder rich people think poor people are daft :rofl

Will Smith will save us :old:

The GFC