Author Topic: ISP change  (Read 602 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
ISP change
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »
I'm getting ready to change my internet provider. This means I will lose my current email address that I have had for 15 years.

What will this mean concerning logging account to game, to forums?

Can I use a gmail account for game, forums?

Is it just a matter of going into account settings and applying new info?

ty
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: ISP change
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
You can change you game account email address in the "Account Admin" menu, from the clipboard.

You can change your bulletin board email address in your profile settings.

Yes, you can use a gmail account.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »
ty

so as not to start a another thread.

My pc is not saving login to forum with this latest install.
 I selected forever log, when pc asks to save log pw I do, yet now every time I come to forum I have to retype pw. Its the same for the couple of forums I use. I am fully updated with W7/64, any ideas?
ty
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:18:49 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:31:53 AM »
The browser is set to not remember logins and passwords.  Or it is set to remove cookies on exit.  Both options set that way, are good security settings.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »
ty skuzzy
I do have that stuff enabled but.......................

I am just use to having things here logged when I enter. This new install of w7 is just behaving differently than pre virus........................ .

I only use a couple of forums and I turn pc off when not around it. Guess I've become a little lazy.....

the game itself remembers just fine.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:10:06 AM »
You did make sure NOT to install the updates contained in the following link?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg4998528.html#msg4998528
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 07:43:23 AM »
ty
I will check these out.
I have already dumped the w10 upgrade. Your right in that hiding it does squat. Seems to come back every time.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 08:37:06 AM »
Yes, at least two of those keep coming back.

If you set to do manual updates and disable the auto-updater, you can stop them from ever getting to your computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
As for now I still haven't got any of them. I haven't hidden any updates, nor have I manually chosen what to not install.

The simple solution that has been working so far is simply to go to Windows Update-> Change Settings->  Deselect the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" check box.

The unwanted updates show there, but they don't get installed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »
As for now I still haven't got any of them. I haven't hidden any updates, nor have I manually chosen what to not install.

The simple solution that has been working so far is simply to go to Windows Update-> Change Settings->  Deselect the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" check box.

The unwanted updates show there, but they don't get installed.

And that is always a good idea.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:02 AM »
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30348398-WIN7-Win-7-updates-to-avoid-or-be-careful-with

some more updates that appear bad.
Good find, especially because it gives a short description about what each of them actually does. Unlike the Windows Update phrase "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows" with a link to the support site where the information is hidden between more phrases and endless lists of affected systems.

For the record, I noticed a couple of things:

I went through both of the longer lists on that thread to find out that four updates of the latter list were installed on my system, two of which appeared also on the first list. One of them was the optional update I asked Skuzzy's opinion about  in a previous thread. The ones I had were KB2670838, KB2990214, KB3075851 and KB3083324. As said, three of them were rated "critical" updates. The two latter of them improve Windows Update itself according to the relevant MS Support sites.

Seven (7) of the updates mentioned on the longer list appear as "optional" updates in Windows Update for my system. Apparently the rest would appear after installing those.

After uninstalling KB2670838 (optional) and KB2990214 (critical) Windows Update didn't show the four (4) "critical" updates that were available before! Peculiar! Note that I have WU set to manual only so all of this is fresh information.

I checked my wife's computer, too. Critical updates only, set to automatic. The results were similar to mine with the exception of her having KB3083710 (Windows Update Client for Win7: October 2015) installed.

In the longer list I found a typo. Instead of KB3015249 it should read KB3075249. So careful when doing anything radical advised by lists like this.

Conclusion: Deselecting "Recommended updates" works wonders without any further effort than occasionally checking it hasn't automatically been re-enabled.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:44:59 AM by Bizman »
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 05:58:38 AM »
You can ignore the 'fonts' related issues he has.  It has to do with Git being installed.  Git attempts to take control of the font system in Windows and does it badly.

Yes, if you install some updates, others can disappear while others may appear.  Has to do with rollups where one patch may contain patches from a previous update which, usually, had an error in it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
You can ignore the 'fonts' related issues he has.  It has to do with Git being installed.  Git attempts to take control of the font system in Windows and does it badly.

Good to know your opinion, as this kind of lists should always be taken with a grain of salt. The guy with the extended list (and a typo) in that thread used expressions that I've learned to connect with some sort of a conspiracist.

Kotisivuni

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »
tanx gents.

Heres what I discovered, not that I fully understand.

I deleted what skuzzy offered up, plus what I discovered. Beware if you are using IE 11, uninstalling 1 or more of those updates uninstalled IE 11!

Since IE 8 does not seem to function well anymore, I had to do a restore which put all the uninstalls back in. argh wasted more time.

Skuzzy hit it right about the cookies. Since I only deal with my equipment, I have a tendency to forget steps down the road. You need to go into auto complete and check the relevant options. I also set IE to delete history on close. What I did not do was actually hit the delete button and then uncheck the relevant stuff there. Hitting settings brings up another window entirely. I had forgotten that selecting delete brings up the option window...

Any ways now my pc saves the pw and when I type my user name, its loads pw. Its not as before where forever log stays in but that's OK. I'll bet this has to do with modern security things with MS trying to mitigate security issues. They have supposedly stopped W7 updates except for security updates so............
The pc works well, I have TWC ISP now and get more bandwidth so as long as TWC does not bill me for erroneous crap, I should be OK till I get my own docsis 3 cable modem. arghhh

Seems like things are being made more difficult for DIY'ers like me. The whole telecom industry has gone into control freak mode...........

:salute