Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 5523 times)

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Re: WHY?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
The ack has travel time.. so if you are not where it was aiming when it fired.. you won't get hit .. odds are.. 90% of the time this is 50% right..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
As to shooting and what causes you to miss; if you are using a twisty stick there's your problem. It is nearly impossbile to prevent unintended inputs, so when you think you are lined up and shooting straight the odds are that you are not.

This can largely be solved with a dead band programmed into your joystick controller.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
Don't attack any 37mm ack until all of the high rate of fire ack is down. The 20mm ack is what kills planes, kill it first. The 37mm ack is practically ineffective against moving targets. Come in at a near vertical high angle, tap off just a couple of 20mm. Before those rounds even land you should be pulling out, plan your dive and pullout so that you're not pulling out over/across the base because distance is your friend when deacking. The same with towns, do a cautious flyover and note where the 20mm acks are.

I should add, you want to fire at the ack as far away from the ack as you can be and still land hits. Shoot from far away and pullout immediately so that you minimize the time that you are in 20mm range.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:30:06 PM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
Lots of great advice! There is always going to be a disconnect without actually getting in the game and observing how the ack reacts to these pointers. There isn't anything I can add that hasn't already been given. All I can say is it takes lots and lots of reps. Observing what works and why it works. Once it clicks it sticks :salute
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »
RuAml and a sex Panther reference in the same thread... Time to come back or sign of the apocalypse?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 04:40:00 AM »
He can join my squad as long has he is not a colonial :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:19 AM »
He can join my squad as long has he is not a colonial :old:

He's from North Korea. Welcome him with open arms eh!  :D

The ack has travel time.. so if you are not where it was aiming when it fired.. you won't get hit .. odds are.. 90% of the time this is 50% right..

I like them odds!  :aok

RuAml and a sex Panther reference in the same thread... Time to come back or sign of the apocalypse?

Horrido Stang!!!!!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 06:41:11 AM »
I change the position of my plane a lot when flying through ack,  seems to make me get hit less.  Same goes for puffy ack,  if you put it on auto or auto climb,  you are sure to get smoked.  Change your altitude and turn a little and it seems rare to take a hit.

This! I stay fast and just jink a bit here and there. "Generally" does the job.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
DeAck? Cannons, cannons and a fast plane.

Forget cannons.  Use rockets.

As for shooting at other planes, and missing...   Record your flights.  When viewing the films, you can switch to the other plane and see where your bullets are going, compared to where you think they are going.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 07:57:06 AM »
The ultimate de-ackers for me are the 190-F8 and the Yak-9T with the big gun.

One round per gun pit with the Yak.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
hows come some can fly thru a base or town, taking down the ack, but whenever I get even in close proximity, I get nailed everytime?

In all the time I have played the game, I cannot recall ever making it thru a pass without losing an engine or a wing. This is a real question, not a rant. everytime without fail, I fail.........................

Hows come everytime someone pulls up in front of me, I get 600>400 yards out, put the pipper right on him and never get a hit?
again not a rant, a real question. without fail I fail.

These 2 things are what make me not want to play after a time. I end up going away till I really miss it.
yes I know how to lead a target, yes I practice gunnery offline. I just do not get it.

:salute
well dont put the piper right on them. lead your shot. lol

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
MADe,

Fugitive, gave probably the best advice I can give on here which is watch Ryno/Kingpin's films or setup an appointment with him for gunnery work.  He is now a trainer with us.  Also one other thing that someone mentioned was twisting the stick while firing will throw off your aim.  Much like in real life trigger control has a lot to do with being accurate.  One trick I learned that works for some is to move your trigger to a button off of your stick.  Such as using a button on your throttle instead. 

BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline dogtag380

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
hows come some can fly thru a base or town, taking down the ack, but whenever I get even in close proximity, I get nailed everytime.
In all the time I have played the game, I cannot recall ever making it thru a pass without losing an engine or a wing. This is a real question, not a rant. everytime without fail, I fail.........................

Sounds like a rant... :devil but given that you are asking it legitimately, do these things and you will not get hit(as already mentioned by most people in this thread):
1.) stay fast 450MPH+.  Ack will not be able to pull enough lead.
2.) Jink your plane. Use lots of small rudder/aileron/elevator.  This will cause the Ack to lead their fire in the wrong direction, making it hard to shoot you down.
3.) Come in from with "Tangential" angle. If you are trying to hit a target on the SouthEast corner of the base, only expose your plane to the SouthEast ack.  If you come in from the Northwest you are exposing your plane to all of the base ack.  Still can be done but you have to be going really fast and lots of jinking.

Hows come everytime someone pulls up in front of me, I get 600>400 yards out, put the pipper right on him and never get a hit?
again not a rant, a real question. without fail I fail.

These 2 things are what make me not want to play after a time. I end up going away till I really miss it.
yes I know how to lead a target, yes I practice gunnery offline. I just do not get it.

The "everytime" part of this sounds like a rant.  :devil Are you saying that you have "never" shot anyone down from 400 yards out?
1.) Get closer.  within 200 yards is best, this is not easy to do but the best way not to miss.
2.) Set up your 'over the nose' views. http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/overthenose/overthenose.htm IF you are trying to shoot someone 600 yards out in a turny fight, you will have to pull TONS of lead.  Typically you will have to fire 'blind' with the enemy plane well below the nose of your plane and out of sight.  This is when its good to pull out your "over the nose" view.  Set up a button on your controller or keyboard as an over the nose view.  Some planes have better view capabilities than others.  For example a Mossy has great over the nose view but a 190D does not. 
3.) Set up your convergence to match your shooting style. 

Hope this helps.  If you want to practice in the DA, shoot me a PM.

:salute :cheers: :salute
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:40:15 AM by dogtag380 »
AKTap
~Arabian Knights~
www.arabian-knights.org/

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
  One trick I learned that works for some is to move your trigger to a button off of your stick.  Such as using a button on your throttle instead. 

BigRat

I put my flaps and all my views off the stick for this very reason. I still use the trigger but anything else that I may have to mess with while lining up to shoot is on my throttle.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
The ultimate de-ackers for me are the 190-F8 and the Yak-9T with the big gun.

One round per gun pit with the Yak.
Isn't it one round per gun pit with any cannon? Only use rockets on ack if your plane has no cannon, otherwise it's a waste of rockets. I have the best luck deacking with spits and hurricanes I think because of their long range cannon. I've been able to deack a small field in both of those planes. The thing about the 190s is that pulling out of a low speed dive can be tricky and before you know it you're deep in range of 20mm ack.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck