Author Topic: Recalling the forerunner to aces high  (Read 2292 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Recalling the forerunner to aces high
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 11:28:35 PM »
I don't think WarBirds ever had an hourly cost?  Did it?  I thought it was monthly?  I know that Air Warrior did: that was $6/hr and I had to pay an extra $6/hr long distance to reach their POP number.

You may be right,it could have been AW!  I have copies of both games and it was over 20 years ago so I might have mixed them up.

Either way the cost was prohibitive for me at the time,I had to settle for playing in "the Zone" which was an old MS setup. I couldnt even get AOL at the time without paying long distance charges... :furious :furious  Besides n one would want to give CC info out to the net back then,it was a scary new thing.... :D

:salute

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »
I don't think WarBirds ever had an hourly cost?  Did it?  I thought it was monthly?  I know that Air Warrior did: that was $6/hr and I had to pay an extra $6/hr long distance to reach their POP number.

When I 1st subscribed to WB's vers 2.01 in 8-'98 the subscription was a flat rate (can't remember the amount now but it wasn't exactly cheap....the $30.00 fee sounds familiar) for the 1st 10 hours of online gameplay then every hour online after that was $2.00 per hr.........I DO remember that.

:D

Used to come home from work, go online, play all evening and night then shut down and get dressed to go to work the next morning.....for days at any 1 stretch of time & was common for me to be paying $200.00+\month bills back in them days and was the HAPPIEST camper around (probably the largest contributor as to why I have carpal tunnel in both wrists today).

:joystick:  :old: :aok

I have not bought a box game of ANY sort since then as I had found the type of game that I've always wanted to play.....a WWII flight combat simulated game playing against other HUMANS using "real simulated" flight controls w/ planes using "real aerodynamics"...."real stick and rudder flying mono vs mono"...........

I still carry a WB's subscription to this day along w/ a subscription to AH as I love the game GENRE this much so I support them both and they both do come in handy when you run into boring stretches in gameplay in 1 game I have the luxury to switch to the other game for a while and this has kept it fresh for me over the last 18+ yrs..........

So Hitech, it's your fault (well not your fault per se but you most certainly DID present a HIGH amount of influence in the matter) that I had to go thru bariatric surgery recently to lose enough weight to stay healthy enough (and to comfortably reach all my controls in my "cockpit"... :D  ;) in my older fast approaching years) so's I can keep on playing this here hobby of mine for a few more years, Lord willing...............

:aok   :rock

:D   :salute

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »
So Hitech, it's your fault (well not your fault per se but you most certainly DID present a HIGH amount of influence in the matter) that I had to go thru bariatric surgery recently to lose enough weight to stay healthy enough (and to comfortably reach all my controls in my "cockpit"... :D  ;) in my older fast approaching years) so's I can keep on playing this here hobby of mine for a few more years, Lord willing...............

You just made me think of this sunday. A gentleman a few hangars down said I could fly his lit toot.So to first familiarize myself I got in the cockpit. The procedure to enter the airplane for a 6' 4" guys is not a simple thing.

Step 1 stand on left wing and put your back against top wing, and put right foot in cockpit.

Step 2 bend your slef around the back of the wing so standing with right foot in cock pit .

Step 3 bring left foot in cock pit standing on seat.

Step 4 reach under top wing to grab cross braise and slide on in and find out both sides hit your shoulders.

Can't wait to fly it, but a little nervous about getting claustrophobic before take off.

HiTech
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:32:27 AM by hitech »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
Sweet! 

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
For some reason I remember AH being $30 a month in the early days .... did I dream that ? 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »

You may be right,it could have been AW!  I have copies of both games and it was over 20 years ago so I might have mixed them up.

Either way the cost was prohibitive for me at the time,I had to settle for playing in "the Zone" which was an old MS setup. I couldnt even get AOL at the time without paying long distance charges... :furious :furious  Besides n one would want to give CC info out to the net back then,it was a scary new thing.... :D

:salute

I think it was somewhere in the mid to late 90s when I thought there had to be something like this out there and went looking.  I can't remember which one I found, likely would've been AW or WBs, but it was hourly at the time and I knew I'd be homeless in a year if I got it.

Was restricted to single player flight simming for quite a while.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
Was it 30 years ago that I was running out to the mailbox to get the telephone bill before the wife could see it?  There were many $600.00 months while playing early Air Warrior.

AW was the first computer game I ever played, on the first computer i ever owned.  I hooked it up, turned it on, created an AOL account then did a search for "Flying Game".  17 hours later the download completed and I turned it on to my amazement.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
Was it 30 years ago that I was running out to the mailbox to get the telephone bill before the wife could see it?  There were many $600.00 months while playing early Air Warrior.

AW was the first computer game I ever played, on the first computer i ever owned.  I hooked it up, turned it on, created an AOL account then did a search for "Flying Game".  17 hours later the download completed and I turned it on to my amazement.

Hmm this sound very familiar. Except I had no wife. For me was because there was a flyer for genie in the box with the modem I purchased.
Ahh those xmodem zmodem days.

HiTech

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
I have not bought a box game of ANY sort since then as I had found the type of game that I've always wanted to play.....a WWII flight combat simulated game playing against other HUMANS using "real simulated" flight controls w/ planes using "real aerodynamics"...."real stick and rudder flying mono vs mono"...........

Word!  :aok

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »
........times have changed for the better then lol :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline kavo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
It was warbirds wiley.... youre quite correct. Hitech created an early masterpiece.  The commando feature was good ....perhaps it could be considered again. I still spent most of my time burning in my plane in warbirds ao nothing changed there.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
I love the idea of dropping troops that can de-ack a base. Makes more close air support missions. Last night the 49rs were working to take a base, which included killing goons and straffing troops. It took me back a few years. Awesome fights.

Funny, I died more than I killed last night and I could care less. The whole event was awesome

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »
I wrote that game over 20 years ago now.

HiTech

Your Old   :old:    :salute

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »
I haven't seen the zeppellin since DOA 1.0.

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:58 AM »
In '97 I joined a RL WW2 group, Fantasy Flight, who flew real T-6's and a C-45 to airshows. Several of them were Warbirds enthusiasts so I joined up and flew as GronK in the "Buccaneers" squadron. We flew for realism and since we were all local we used conference calling to communicate real time. The charges (hourly if I recall corrrectly) were enough to put a big dent in my financial situation! When AH Beta started for free we moved as a squadron.
Flying as Noser