Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 17311 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:00:54 AM by Skuzzy »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 12:28:06 AM »
That's a little preachy, since you know nothing about this situation other than what I have shared with you (meaning you know nothing about it at all).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:31:03 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 03:06:20 AM »
People that are complaining about Windows 10 should have let a Tech install it.

I've heard from both entry end enterprise level Techs that they have experienced major issues with Windows 10. Installed and administrated by a Tech. Even used solely by a Senior Tech. How highly qualified should the installing personnel be?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:06:26 AM »
100Coogn, you have been warned about these types of posts.  Just because you are not having any perceived problems with Windows 10, does not mean there are not problems.

There are many well documented problems with Windows 10 and most of them are the result of professionals finding the problems.

How about the recent Windows 10 insider release which breaks many games on Windows 10.  Microsoft posted that problem, themselves.  I suppose they do not know what they are doing either.

People are finding real problems with Windows 10.  I am glad they are coming here to share them.  It helps our community quite a bit.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
Windows 10 was released at least a year too early. That's just the way it is. I don't think Microsoft is doing much deep-seated thinking about their updates either. They give us the program for nothing so they expect to roll out updates as if the OS is in a pristine state.

I've been doing this computer stuff just a short while, maybe thirty-five years. So, maybe I should defer to a 'tech' with a two-year education, but really I think that would be a step backwards.

They used to say that there were only two sorts of F4U pilots. There were those that had ground-looped their Hog, and those that were going to. It's the same way with Windows 10. If you have not experienced a problem up until this point, just wait.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
100Coogn, you have been warned about these types of posts.  Just because you are not having any perceived problems with Windows 10, does not mean there are not problems.

There are many well documented problems with Windows 10 and most of them are the result of professionals finding the problems.

How about the recent Windows 10 insider release which breaks many games on Windows 10.  Microsoft posted that problem, themselves.  I suppose they do not know what they are doing either.

People are finding real problems with Windows 10.  I am glad they are coming here to share them.  It helps our community quite a bit.

Not saying that I haven't had problems, just trying to point out that Windows 10 isn't as evil as some people are trying to make it, is all.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
Not saying that I haven't had problems, just trying to point out that Windows 10 isn't as evil as some people are trying to make it, is all.

Coogan

That is a matter of opinion and has little to do with the real problems Windows 10 has.  Personally, I consider the telemetry data gathering to be evil, but that has nothing to do with the problems Windows 10 has.  It is just my opinion.  Everyone is entitled to one.

That said, no opinion overrides facts.  There are problems with Windows 10.  Bringing those to the surface is better than burying them behind opinion based rhetoric.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
Have anyone tried the free  https://www.oo-software.com/de/shutup10 privacy fixer ?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
Yes, it works for what it is intended. I posted about it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
KB3124262 installed today and rebooted the machine all on its own even with all the switches set to "DO NOT REBOOT WHILE I AM USING MY COMPUTER!"

I hate Microsoft. Have I said that already today?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
Windows 10 just bricked one of my Laptop's - an Acer ES1-131

Keyboard dont cooperate anymore after an update, using an external keyboard it works though.

1,5 hours into restore now .... grrrrr
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »
KB3124262 installed today and rebooted the machine all on its own even with all the switches set to "DO NOT REBOOT WHILE I AM USING MY COMPUTER!"

I hate Microsoft. Have I said that already today?

Nope, but IMO it should be said at least five times a day anyway.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »

Keyboard dont cooperate anymore after an update, using an external keyboard it works though.

Being able to operate with an external keyboard is a new feature to me. Then again the ones with no mouse and keyboard have been desktops using USB peripherals already. Anyhow I was able to boot to the Repair Mode by three interrupted boot attempts in a row. In one case I did a rollback, in another I unsuccessfully tried that but the visit to the Repair Mode returned the functionality of the input devices.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »

What I did after the install was to use Macrium Reflect (free version) to backup the boot image to an SSD. Next time it should be just a 20 minute restore, plus apps. My usual backups include the apps, but in case they don't restore and allow Windows to be updated I have another route to take.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »
I "had" to try Win 10, had no plans to after reading everything here and elsewhere.

I have a PC that is only used for AH, has my CH stuff on it (warthog and custom peds on a box for DCS and other stuff) as I feel CH is best for AH in terms of precision.  Anyhow, only change I had made in months was installing the beta, and when I used TrackIR, TiR started flipping out, I mean really odd behavior.  It would lock up the entire PC slowly, not respond to the camera/trackclip, but the PC worked fine without TiR launched.  As soon as it was though, big trouble.  Natural Point's system tech remoted in and spent 3 hours trying to figure out what happened, and even after multiple reinstalls/registry cleans/etc (which I had done myself several times already), everyone at TiR HQ was at a loss.  I was going to post here about it, but IMO it is probably coincidence this happened just after installing the beta - even though not a single change other than a windows 7 update had been done to this system (I don't fly AH too often, so it sits off mostly).  Anyhow, with TiR throwing in the towel, and with no TiR with AH or AH beta, and no system restore possible, I was looking at having to reformat and hope that fixed it, as TiR hardware worked on my other systems here, and the machine is really useless to me without it for AH.

My win 7 discs I realize are 500 miles away at our other place in Calgary.  I do however still have that annoying Win 10 upgrade to try, so I figure why not, I'm reformatting anyway, maybe this will keep this machine up till I can get my Win7 dics and codes.

What a giant PITA Win 10 is.  Sure, it did fix the problem regarding TiR  behaving, and it works fine with all 3 versions of the beta, even after reinstalling both many times just to ensure that, but wow, I almost wish I'd just left it until I'm back home considering the time it took to "secure" Win 10, change all the settings/goofy things, and what not.  And I STILL can't get that "Cortana" to get lost from the process list, even with it turned off, uninstalling it doesn't work, and it still comes back if you end it.  Annoying.  I thought the Vista deal was unpopular, but this one may steal that title. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:54:32 AM by Gman »