Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 17645 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
Today I met a couple who had decided to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. After two days of the upgrade just sitting there, saying "preparing to upgrade" they finally canceled it.

I have noted the Windows updater has been taking forever to show updates lately.  I wonder if the Windows servers are getting hammered with Windows 10 nagware? :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
There has to be at least a billion searches at the MS solutions site for fixes to everything going wrong on a daily basis.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
Update since initial posting on 2-6-16:

To date the 2 registry workarounds to stop the "Get Win 10 Installed" nagware & block the Win 10 upgrade installer are still showing to hold up on my box.

To date:

MS tried to install the following Win 10 updates as follows:

KB3126587--tried 4 more times to install this update and failed to install all 4 tries
KB3126593--same as above
Next time I see these show up in Windows Updates I'm gonna hide them to stop the nonsense.

Our favorite MS Win 10 updates as follows:

KB3035583--tried 2 more times to install...install shows to be successful but has consistently been blocked.
KB2952664--same as above

All other MS updates that came thru did not have anything to do w\ Win 10 and so were installed as I warranted necessary.

So far, so good.

FYI.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Today I advised a lady to roll back to 8.1 since she lost her Internet connection.

Someone said he's happy with 10 because it will find and fix errors. I wonder how it could download any fixes if it breaks the connections.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
Oh, yeehaa! we have updates coming down today! Just great!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
Updates coming... or not! Today I visited a rare case, an elderly computer savvy lady who couldn't get the updates download because Windows 10 by default considers cellular connections as metered. Which they aren't here... She had already found the Microsoft instructions linked from the network settings, but there was no option to change the setting in the given location! So much for real time documentation... I finally found a site telling how to do it the professional way in the Command Prompt.

Not to mention the Tablet Mode can be a real PITA to figure out why you can't find the Desktop!
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »
Updates are done by regions now.  The strategy keeps Microsoft servers free.  They find a few fast connections in an area and then use them to copy the files to another computer (yes your Windows 10 boxes are servers now for Microsoft).  Once they get enough of those fast systems, they keep track of them and use them to deliver the updates to the region.

You never know when you are going to get updates, or from where.  Makes it nigh impossible to block the updates as they might come from a few hundred different IP addresses.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »
Yup. Peer to peer... Need I mention that I set that function off - although I'm not sure at all that it would make any difference.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2016, 12:51:45 PM »
Yup. Peer to peer... Need I mention that I set that function off - although I'm not sure at all that it would make any difference.

If you disable it, my understanding is it can take much longer to get updates (maybe not such a bad thing).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
Stupid question: if Windows updates are going through someone else's computer, what's to stop that person from hacking into their own computer and inserting malware into the updates it serves up to others?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2016, 01:01:58 PM »
I'm glad Microsoft is using other peoples computers to send updates to me. Now my computer has less work to do.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
If you disable it, my understanding is it can take much longer to get updates (maybe not such a bad thing).
Having been told that Microsoft hasn't been widely known to utilize checksums for their downloads, I'd rather get them from one location only...

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »
I'm glad Microsoft is using other peoples computers to send updates to me. Now my computer has less work to do.

Uh no,...your computer has more to do as it will be used to distribute updates as well.  Getting them from a computer next door to you, or from Microsoft does not change any work your computer must do.  Delivering the updates to other computers adds to your computer work load.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
unlikely that my PC can be used to send updates to other people since my router has a password on it. People do all the work on their PC and send the update files to me.  :)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
As stated in another thread, I'm running Win 10 home premium (retail copy) and have updates of all kinds disabled and I haven't gotten any since I installed it. There could be a difference between the free upgrade version (always a catch) or, ya'know...PEBCAK.

p.s. that's not to say that people are not having issues with it I just think a lot of it could be cured with  people doing their research. Still a slippery slope microsoft is going down, I don't like it myself but it is what it is.