Author Topic: Spiny Chair of Doom...  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Spiny Chair of Doom...
« on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
So I just finished my day at the centrifuge... It SUCKED. A brief summary: I don't really get motion sick in the plane, but I was FIGHTING it the whole time in this one. What made it worse was I got a BAD case of the G-measles (Blood pooling in the skin causing LOTS of pain under G). Apparently everyone gets that to a different degree, but it really HURT lol. The combination of that pain and the nausea made focusing on my AGSM difficult, and I STRUGGLED as a result. For your enjoyment, here is the video:

https://youtu.be/tSDgWHbVx2M

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Spiny Chair of Doom...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »
Whirly pod of death and puke, whatcha got there...

I did not enjoy any of my 3 trips to the 'fuge.  As you say, the nausea is worse than the Gs for most people, at least in my unscientific poll of the 40 or fuge classmates I've had.  Only got geasles really bad the first 2 times though. 
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:58:26 PM »
Whirly pod of death and puke, whatcha got there...

I did not enjoy any of my 3 trips to the 'fuge.  As you say, the nausea is worse than the Gs for most people, at least in my unscientific poll of the 40 or fuge classmates I've had.  Only got geasles really bad the first 2 times though.

I'm really relieved to hear you say that lol. My spin today really had me considering pushing for Growlers.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »
Thank you for sharing that.  As a confirmed wanna be it's interesting to see and hear of your trials and tribulations while training.

<S>
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
Nevermind, I watched the whole video.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:20:02 PM by DaveBB »
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »
Thank you for sharing that.  As a confirmed wanna be it's interesting to see and hear of your trials and tribulations while training.

<S>

Thanks! It's a very interesting process for me, not only for the experiences but for their effect on me. When I started on this path, I was very gung-ho about going jets, getting into combat and slaying bodies. And days like today remind me, it's not like Aces High. Superior skill isn't the only factor. I can be the best pilot all day, but if I can't pull G like my adversary, I could be in serious trouble... It's kind of forcing me to confront my mortality in a way that I never have before.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »
interesting video! thx for sharing! you did great! :rock
(i would puke for a week).

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
interesting video! thx for sharing! you did great! :rock
(i would puke for a week).

It was almost 12 hours ago now, and I still feel sick if I move my head too quickly lol.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
After a while the G's are kind of addicting.  The USAF starts G tolerance training all the way in T-6s, at least at Sheppard, with an aerobatic and formation syllabus that is more complex and demanding than the Navy version.  Just different priorities in how they flow the training.  Then in T-38s you're pretty much expected to be able to sustain in and out of 4-6 G's throughout exercises that can last over a minute.  The Gs in a real plane will make you tired and most likely embarrass you as you struggle just to stay awake and get that LAST SIP OF AIR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!! while your IP is happily chattering away critiquing your maneuvers, but over time your body will simply adapt to the point where you're able to think and maneuver under G loads without even thinking about the Gs.  Get on your G strain BEFORE pulling the stick back, and over time you'll learn to not over-strain so you won't wear yourself out in the first 5 minutes unnecessarily.

Of course, be smart about it.  Make SURE your posture is good in the seat, and just because you may be strong enough to move and twist under G's doesn't mean you *should*.  I had VERY strong core muscles during F-15E FTU so I could be pretty mobile in the cockpit up to about 6.5 Gs.  And then in the last advanced air to air maneuvering portion of the course, I herniated my L5-S1 disc being an idiot moving around while pulling Gs instead of just centering myself, picking a direction to look, then not moving until I unloaded.  Oops, and now I've been living with that injury for almost 20 years, which made my flying career both shorter and less enjoyable than it could have been.

And for the sake of your family and friends, if your G-warmup doesn't go PERFECTLY, tell your flight lead and restrict your maneuvering for the rest of the sortie.  I've seen at least a dozen HUD tapes of dead fighter pilots who weren't feeling quite right, recently returned from leave or illness, or who everyone noticed wasn't quite on their game that day, or even in their own hud recording was clearly struggling during the G-X warmup, but they didn't back off the sortie profile and died because of their big fat G-LOC'd ego.  If you can't hack the G-X, do another one to wake yourself up.  If the second one doesn't go well, confess your pitiful weakness that day and live to try it again next sortie.  And NEVER hesitate to go back to basics if you gray out or black out.  Unload to get your vision back, and do your best nose low/high/inverted recovery to level flight and call knock it off.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 10:30:33 PM »
I'm really relieved to hear you say that lol. My spin today really had me considering pushing for Growlers.

Don't be such a baby :)  Seriously, the Gs are tough as you get used to them but over time you won't even get the Geasles anymore.  Plus the Navy only certs their planes for 7.5 and just about anyone can do that if they're in good shape, listen to their training, and have time for their body to adapt.  The F-15E profile isn't as bad as the F-15C or F-16 profile but its harsh enough.  Of course, that means F-15E pilots flying "clean" -229 powered aircraft get to find out the hard way.  A clean -229 strike eagle at low altitude can accelerate at over 7 Gs, which is freaking brutal when you're at low altitude doing a threat reaction or aborting a route or attack.  Still, its better than dying and you'll get used to it.  Or quit.  Or die.  So don't be a damned quitter and don't be a dead guy, and you'll be fine :)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »
Don't be such a baby :)  Seriously, the Gs are tough as you get used to them but over time you won't even get the Geasles anymore.  Plus the Navy only certs their planes for 7.5 and just about anyone can do that if they're in good shape, listen to their training, and have time for their body to adapt.  The F-15E profile isn't as bad as the F-15C or F-16 profile but its harsh enough.  Of course, that means F-15E pilots flying "clean" -229 powered aircraft get to find out the hard way.  A clean -229 strike eagle at low altitude can accelerate at over 7 Gs, which is freaking brutal when you're at low altitude doing a threat reaction or aborting a route or attack.  Still, its better than dying and you'll get used to it.  Or quit.  Or die.  So don't be a damned quitter and don't be a dead guy, and you'll be fine :)

lol you're right. The worst part wasn't the Gs nearly so much as the motion sickness. I know in the T-6 I did some fairly high Gs at times, and didn't suffer any of these effects.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 10:50:15 PM »
Just finished the whole video...

In case you didn't realize it, your fuge instructor was OUTSTANDING.  He saved you twice from a repeat trip out there and his instructional inputs were incredible.  Find out who he is and arrange to get him a case of beer or something, no kidding.

And your own performance was very good too.  You accepted the instruction well without arguing or making excuses even when it probably felt a bit humiliating, and you were able to apply the instruction to improve your performance.  Well done.

The courses I went through didn't have a brake and in the advanced one we had to control the G loading by pulling harder or softer during the "BFM" scenario.  And yea, pulling 7.5 while looking over your shoulder in the fuge sucks.  It's a bit better in the plane except of course for the whole potential for death if you get it wrong thing  :devil

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 10:58:02 PM »
Just finished the whole video...

In case you didn't realize it, your fuge instructor was OUTSTANDING.  He saved you twice from a repeat trip out there and his instructional inputs were incredible.  Find out who he is and arrange to get him a case of beer or something, no kidding.

And your own performance was very good too.  You accepted the instruction well without arguing or making excuses even when it probably felt a bit humiliating, and you were able to apply the instruction to improve your performance.  Well done.

The courses I went through didn't have a brake and in the advanced one we had to control the G loading by pulling harder or softer during the "BFM" scenario.  And yea, pulling 7.5 while looking over your shoulder in the fuge sucks.  It's a bit better in the plane except of course for the whole potential for death if you get it wrong thing  :devil

Yeah, he was fantastic. I put that on the critique. We had 3 different instructors based on which group you were in. He was the best by far (And the only Navy one :p ).

Thank you! That means a lot coming from someone with your experience. I think it helped that I didn't have high expectations for myself to begin with, so being told I was messing up was more of a "Yeah, you're right" than an embarrassment. I actually struggle pretty badly with claustrophobia, so just being in the pod was hard enough, so I was just happy to be done lol.

I couldn't imagine trying to control my own G-loading to a point in that! It was hard enough just to keep my brain working (The point where I reached for the stick and spiked myself is good proof of that lol)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »
Critique feedback is good.  Beer (or equivalent beverage of choice) is better :)

And that's one funny thing about the military...  You can spend $50 on a bottle as a thank-you or retirement/separation gift (or a bribe that doesn't result in fraud/waste/abuse), but you can't give anything else without it being creepy.  Except you ought to include a class patch or scarf or something with the gift.  Because that's ok.  Dinner gift card - creepy.  Bottle of Jack with a handle - cool.  Expensive bottle of scotch - creepy.  Bottle of something unique plus a class patch - cool.  Case of beer - cool but not as cool as a unique bottle plus a patch.

Maybe the Navy does gifts/bribes differently, but giving booze in the AF as a thank-you is rarely frowned upon even if the recipient doesn't drink.  They'll just re-gift it or glue your patch to the bottle and put it on a shelf to serve to guests.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:17:13 PM by eagl »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »

:rofl

Man up you grapefruit! :)

(FYI, I get sick on a FERRIS wheel!)