Author Topic: a friendly reminder to HiTech  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
Re: a friendly reminder to HiTech
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 07:44:59 PM »
Vehicle and manned gun range settings/ammo remaining/ammo selected/mode selected).

Some of the vehicle range indicators are quite hard to read (e.g. panther).

Dragable is nice, but I like not having to much clutter in my view. Also the headset is not like a screen, dragging these to the edge of your view doesn't help, they need to be a readable spot (imagine the screen center is readable, then slowly becomes peripheral version as you move out). Which is why I thought a kneepad would be better. No clutter, and if you want to read these you just look down (currently dead space in the view).

That's a good approach that fits right in with methods that VR devs seem to be increasingly adopting; that is, incorporating 2D GUI elements directly into the VR environment. 

This is a good article on the whole subject of VR GUI's, HT: https://backchannel.com/immersive-design-76499204d5f6#.n2emorgld

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »
How bout voice commands and text to speech  capability on a special vox channel.  Say "status" and the the game would audibly saying "airspeed 264, altitude 1400, heading 305".  Say "communications on, communications off" to toggle audible reading of the text buffer, ect.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »
Here it is 2016 and still no .orderpizza dot command....Tsk tsk, hitech is slackin' in his golden years  :D

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 11:29:42 PM »
Some time ago, you stated that in the future, you "would change the way bomber drone positioning is handled"  - IIRC.

Just wanted to remind you to please work that into AH3 before beta is finished, thanks.   :cheers:

No offense mate, but how the hell is anyone going to interpret that unless you the poster of the original complaint has some pre-conceived idea of what that is? 
Uncle Fred

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
No offense mate, but how the hell is anyone going to interpret that unless you the poster of the original complaint has some pre-conceived idea of what that is?

The message was for me, I had asked him to remind me, and I knew exactly what it was about.

HiTech

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
Here it is 2016 and still no .orderpizza dot command....Tsk tsk, hitech is slackin' in his golden years  :D

LOL or BEER
Uncle Fred

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »
Gramp,

Sometimes in AH2 the two bomber drones perform micro warps at the worst possible moment for an attacking fighter. One of three outcomes happens.

1. - You pull the trigger and the bomber drones suddenly warp away from your rounds.
2. - The drones suddenly warp into your flight path causing you to receive the loosing end of a collision message.
3. - Each time you get near the bomber box, the drones warp behind you.

Over the years it has been a considerable source of angst in our community. Long time players of AH2 know what Caldera's reminder is also.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 12:52:05 PM »
That's a good approach that fits right in with methods that VR devs seem to be increasingly adopting; that is, incorporating 2D GUI elements directly into the VR environment. 

This is a good article on the whole subject of VR GUI's, HT: https://backchannel.com/immersive-design-76499204d5f6#.n2emorgld

FWIW,

Possibly more grist for your VR mill, HT.  I happened upon this just now; a Reddit sub devoted to VR UI design considerations and discussion.  It appears new, where someone collected diverse info sources regarding the VR UI topic to get the ball rolling.  May be useful to you, maybe not, but seemed relevant to this thread, so here is the link, just in case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VRUI

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
Possibly more grist for your VR mill, HT.  I happened upon this just now; a Reddit sub devoted to VR UI design considerations and discussion.  It appears new, where someone collected diverse info sources regarding the VR UI topic to get the ball rolling.  May be useful to you, maybe not, but seemed relevant to this thread, so here is the link, just in case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VRUI

FWIW,

Got occullas t all up and working in game Sunday. I all ready see things like the clip board and other gui elements should be fixed in 3d space.
Others like the stuff in the corners should not because they are meant to always be in view.

Did a bunch of test gui work, things like 3d cursor and such. Not ready for prime time, but gave me the basics for what needs to be done.

HiTEch

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »
Does the game feel better with it?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
Does the game feel better with it?

In my experience... flying 4 different headsets with AH (Emagin Z800, Vuzix 1200VR, Oculus Dk1, Oculus Dk2):
 - you lose the high resolution of a desktop screen.
 - but the way you look around changes, especially with the accurate head tracking. So it offsets the res loss
 - The ability to move your head around really enhances the immersion in the game, plus gives you a huge advantage in SA. You also begin to appreciate little things like cockpit size after a while
 - 3D is awesome. The 3D cockpit will wow you. 3D combat is intense. You will notice it at lower altitudes or in slower fights. You can judge distance, relative movement and position much better. Taking snapshots as a plane crosses under your nose becomes a lot easier.
 - landing becomes much easier, especially on carriers
 - you start to appreciate the dimensions of the aircraft more (like in the IL-16 you feel like you can reach out and touch your tail)
 - in GVs hanging out the top to look around while screaming across the landscape is huge fun.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
sounds awesome  :banana:
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »
Gramp,

Sometimes in AH2 the two bomber drones perform micro warps at the worst possible moment for an attacking fighter. One of three outcomes happens.

1. - You pull the trigger and the bomber drones suddenly warp away from your rounds.
2. - The drones suddenly warp into your flight path causing you to receive the loosing end of a collision message.
3. - Each time you get near the bomber box, the drones warp behind you.

Over the years it has been a considerable source of angst in our community. Long time players of AH2 know what Caldera's reminder is also.

Yep, I stand corrected and understand.   :D
Uncle Fred