Author Topic: Off map flying: make a wall  (Read 1479 times)

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Off map flying: make a wall
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
Flying off map should result in hitting an invisible wall and exploding.

The fact that guns do nothing off map is the one of reasons people do it.

If your going to put that in the new game, just make 30k air spawns. It's the same as what they are doing now.

Flying off map to climb to 30k while invincible is no different than a 30k air spawn.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Off map flying: make a wall
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 09:36:25 AM »
I would be happy with all ordnance and ammo taken away upon leaving the map.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:04:45 AM »
Huh, I thought it was changed so that it would kicked you back into the map after a moment. :headscratch:  It's been a VERY, VERY long time since I've been anywhere near the border of the map.  Last time I was, it was trying to sink a CV before it became invincible after sailing through land at map edge.  I forgot the name of the map that did this; Compello?  Was in the far NE side of the map.  This is where I remember it happening the most.

Nope.  A couple of options: It should hard forced a course change (you could lose your drones this way) or put you in the tower outright.  The border should be highly visible as well, so someone intercepting can't complain about the sudden hard force course change of their target.  And if the border huggers come back with, "I had to/wanted to go afk because of <blank>"; Aaaaannnnnnnd....?

In WoWs, you'll "skate" along the border if you hit it.  After a few moments you lose, if I remember correctly, up to 75% Engine Power until you move away from it.  So maybe a setup like this?  Obviously not the 75% engine power, but force a drop to cruise settings and level out could be put in it's place until you are far enough away?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »
Have an automatic warning when approaching the edge:

SYSTEM: You are about to go off map.  Your plane will spontaneously combust like Spinal Tap's drummer.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 07:15:16 PM »

Even better, fuel too.

Offline fracca

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »
I'll be the unpopular one and say I like it. I really only fly bomber or bomber intercept right now and quite like guarding the fence waiting for the bombers to cross back over. Plus I really dont agree with the description that they just appear at 30k over the strats. The moment they leave the map they become the most easily seen enemy on the clipboard, they're hardly invisible. (Plus they just broadcast their exact intentions).

However in saying that, guns should work off map obviously.
Colonic

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 12:39:31 AM »

This idea sounds good, but could be open to abuse.  I can see players pinning other players against the way to make them blow up.  When you are in a canyon or against mountains, that's one thing.  But in open air, it just doesn't fit.

Since guns don't work outside the map, make it so engines don't work either.  This gives you a chance to turn around and glide back onto the map, where your engine will restart.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 05:46:52 AM »

The fact that guns do nothing off map is the one of reasons people do it.

If your going to put that in the new game, just make 30k air spawns. It's the same as what they are doing now.

Flying off map to climb to 30k while invincible is no different than a 30k air spawn.

Just create a steep hill up to 100K'.   Problem solved.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:13:15 AM »
SYSTEM: You are about to go off map.  Your plane will spontaneously combust like Spinal Tap's drummer.

+1
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
Have an automatic warning when approaching the edge:

A green globule on your drum seat is all that will be left... Either that or death due to a bizarre gardening accident, or choking on someone else's vomit... Better left unsolved.

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »
I like the part when when you do it nothing gets done and nobody cries about it. When we do it you lose your minds.  :headscratch:

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »
I like the part when when you do it nothing gets done and nobody cries about it. When we do it you lose your minds.  :headscratch:
This has been a issue since before the 49ers were a squad...your not that important. The reason it's brought up now with your mission is because A. B29s and B. You guys have been talking about it for weeks and you Gamed the Game instead of running a real mission
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »

Plus I really dont agree with the description that they just appear at 30k over the strats. The moment they leave the map they become the most easily seen enemy on the clipboard, they're hardly invisible.

Not true the bug with them flying off the map in some cases the red arrows pointing to where the enemy is flips the arrows to the opposite side of the map putting them in the 3rd country's airspace per the arrow & dar bar. When in fact no one is there at all at the opposite side of the map. When they cross back into the airspace on the side they intend to hit so will the red arrow & dar bars. Hence why the appearance that 30k bombers are over the strat in moments yet no dar & no red arrows until its to late.

For example here is a squad mate chasing a B-29 off the map.
No dar no red or green arrow from either side.

Now look at the very top of the map in  the third country's air space.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
You guys have been talking about it for weeks and you Gamed the Game instead of running a real mission.

:aok

Offline fracca

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
Not true the bug with them flying off the map in some cases the red arrows pointing to where the enemy is flips the arrows to the opposite side of the map putting them in the 3rd country's airspace per the arrow & dar bar. When in fact no one is there at all at the opposite side of the map. When they cross back into the airspace on the side they intend to hit so will the red arrow & dar bars. Hence why the appearance that 30k bombers are over the strat in moments yet no dar & no red arrows until its to late.

Ah, well I admit I didn't know about that. I don't like the 'bug' aspect off it, (guns not damaging and now false map positioning), I'm merely defending the off-map part if that makes sense. I would rather see those two things fixed rather than completely remove it and build a wall.
Colonic