Author Topic: List Of Basic Maneuvers  (Read 5778 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: List Of Basic Maneuvers
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
^^^ This!

Great writeup Puma!

:salute

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
^^^ This!

Great writeup Puma!

:salute

Thanks Bud!   :D  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
I find that most real life pilots are limited in AH performance because they do not learn game tactics like nose down rolls or snap roll stall maneuvers. In real life that could be fatal, while in AH you dont actually die so you can practice it over and over again. Most real life pilots fly timidly and are normally the highest planes in the sky. Even real life pilots have to get use to the stall capabilities and E capabilities of the planes, yet most are limited to gamey factors that make some of the best players in the game different from real life pilots. Learning BFMs are essential but that simply will have little effect on actually surviving in the MA.

Further on the majority of new players constantly die because they don't know how to shake a con of their 6. You can either teach them to fly high and timid and do circles all day or you can show them defensive maneuvers that will help them escape a con approaching on their 6. Regardless, if a good stick hops your 6, no amount of ACM is going to beat them. In the FSO, you have C205 v P51D. Well the C205 cannot climb as high as a P51 so if an engagement happenes 9-10 times the P51 will start from a higher alt. How do you defend agaisnt that? When a player actually understands how to make enemies overshoot as well as understanding E potential and styles that don't include fighting in the highest and fastest planes is when they really start learning how to fight in this game much better.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »
I find that most real life pilots are limited in AH performance because they do not learn game tactics like nose down rolls or snap roll stall maneuvers. In real life that could be fatal, while in AH you dont actually die so you can practice it over and over again. Most real life pilots fly timidly and are normally the highest planes in the sky. Even real life pilots have to get use to the stall capabilities and E capabilities of the planes, yet most are limited to gamey factors that make some of the best players in the game different from real life pilots. Learning BFMs are essential but that simply will have little effect on actually surviving in the MA.

Further on the majority of new players constantly die because they don't know how to shake a con of their 6. You can either teach them to fly high and timid and do circles all day or you can show them defensive maneuvers that will help them escape a con approaching on their 6. Regardless, if a good stick hops your 6, no amount of ACM is going to beat them. In the FSO, you have C205 v P51D. Well the C205 cannot climb as high as a P51 so if an engagement happenes 9-10 times the P51 will start from a higher alt. How do you defend agaisnt that? When a player actually understands how to make enemies overshoot as well as understanding E potential and styles that don't include fighting in the highest and fastest planes is when they really start learning how to fight in this game much better.
I don't think most real life pilots have that problem in here but I do know some that use it as an excuse for their poor flying in game.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »
"Regardless, if a good stick hops your 6, no amount of ACM is going to beat them."  "Learning BFMs are essential but that simply will have little effect on actually surviving in the MA."

Well, in the real world of flying fighters that statement would immediately raise a BS flag.  It plain and simply demonstrates the author doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, and he certainly doesn't have any business teaching someone else how to do it, especially a newbee.

The statements above merely indicate the author has clearly not run into a player who knows the basics and how to employ them.  The referenced "nose down rolls" and "snap roll" maneuvers are techniques (not to mention energy killers), not BFM. In actuality, they are last ditch "Hail Mary" techniques used by one who has nothing else in their tool kit and has just been lucky, so far.

"Real world pilots" groups a lot of people with various skill levels, ratings, civilian, and military in one group.  Not only is it sorely uninformed and uneducated, it's insulting and demonstrates the author's ignorance.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:01:09 PM by Puma44 »

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
"Regardless, if a good stick hops your 6, no amount of ACM is going to beat them."  "Learning BFMs are essential but that simply will have little effect on actually surviving in the MA."

Well, in the real world of flying fighters that statement would immediately raise a BS flag.  It plain and simply demonstrates the author doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, and he certainly doesn't have any business teaching someone else how to do it, especially a newbee.

The statements above merely indicate the author has clearly not run into a player who knows the basics and how to employ them.  The referenced "nose down rolls" and "snap roll" maneuvers are techniques (not to mention energy killers), not BFM. In actuality, they are last ditch "Hail Mary" techniques used by one who has nothing else in their tool kit and has just been lucky, so far.

"Real world pilots" groups a lot of people with various skill levels, ratings, civilian, and military in one group.  Not only is it sorely uninformed and uneducated, it's insulting and demonstrates the author's ignorance.

That's an ignorant statement in itself because "real world pilots" no matter how much training they have are still going to find "video games" challenging because the situations are completely different for all different types of pilots. Your fighter controls aren't even the same which can be a huge challenge to get use to. The MA is completely different because you are fighting planes of all different times and regions against each other. There is no structure to flying in the MA like in real life, no mission planning or intense training not to die. You are allowed to make mistakes in AH and get away with it. Most of players in general are still learning the game. They arent advanved fighter pilots like in real life. There isn't one player in AH that has never died. Things that can be performed in the game are drastically different than in real life. You don't feel the blackouts. You don't feel gravity. Real life flying is completely different than what you can pull off in the MA. That being said, learning BFMs and ACM are important and I'm not taking anything away from that. There are just other "maneuvers" that are quite easy to pull off which might help you survive a little longer.

I have fought the best in this game.
I have won very challenging tournaments in AH agaisnt great sticks.
I am not the greatest fighter in  the game in 1v1, but I am close. Hell, I even beat Skyyr (real pilot) in a 1v1 best of 5.
I have trained over 13 people on how to become better at this game and they all have become better.
I have recorded some of the best AH stats in its history for fighters.
I have one of the best K/Ds in scenarios, FSOs, and Combat Challenge, including the most kills, every time I fly in one.  I had the best K/D in the last CC with top 3 kills. I got a cool Tshirt for having the top 3 kills/sortie in last year's CC.
Last month I was #1 in fighters and #1 in attack rank.
This month I am currently #2 in fighters.
My best K/D is 128/0 and ended up going 220-7 that month.
I don't have to fly at 25K in the easiest fastest planes to post good stats.

You can mock me all you want and not even fly in this game,  but I have the stats and situational awareness in AH for over 10 years of playing this game to know what I am talking about.  :aok

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:53:01 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
If you've been at this for ten years, it doesn't show.  If you choose not to learn the basics, that's OK, it's your $14.95 a month.  But, presenting yourself as an expert to those new to the game when you can't, or won't, explain the basics is a disservice to them.

No smack talk from here, just the facts speaking from experience.  Just remember, it's OK for you to admit to yourself and to others that "I don't know".   :salute

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 09:53:34 PM »
If you've been at this for ten years, it doesn't show.  If you choose not to learn the basics, that's OK, it's your $14.95 a month.  But, presenting yourself as an expert to those new to the game when you can't, or won't, explain the basics is a disservice to them.

No smack talk from here, just the facts speaking from experience.  Just remember, it's OK for you to admit to yourself and to others that "I don't know".   :salute

Think what you want but I actually try to explain things a little more simply than what the definitions reflect. I read those when I first started the game but the language was very technical and hard to follow. Telling someone to go read a manual on BFM is not going to help that person any more than me explaining in simpler detial the concept of a few maneuvers I find highly valuable in the game. You also don't consider irrational maneuvers that can only be achieved in the game in which I have pretty much gained an expert opinion on. These are certain maneuver not outlined in your manual. I prove this with my actual performance in the game which is pretty reputable. The fact that I have never seen you play the game leads me to question your abilities in Aceshigh and whether that holds merrit to actually training people in the game.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »
The fact that I have never seen you play the game leads me to question your abilities in Aceshigh and whether that holds merrit to actually training people in the game.

Puma flew F-106s and F-4s in real life.  He flys bigger planes now.  You've made your point that AH is a game which does not fully duplicate real life, and that gamey features may allow a lay person to be good in the game because he knows how to game the game.  You're welcome to fly that way, and to preen yourself because you know all these game features. That doesn't mean that others might not want to learn how real world tactics can be used in AH.

- oldman

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 10:19:05 PM »
Personally I think both sides can definitely help a person become better at Aces High...Puma is right about starting at the basics for the new guys...but I'm sure Violator could teach them to a new flyer too.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 10:44:38 PM »
Problem is, your explanations skip the simple basics.  That's all I'm trying to point out.  Again, your $14.95 is yours, play the game the way you want, and most importantly, have fun with it.

If you want to present yourself as said expert, then learn it all, and know the basics.  Let's also be clear, I didn't write "the manual" so, it's not mine.   Guys far more experienced and smarter than any of us developed and wrote the manual on tactics.

Twelve "I"s and one "My" in your resume suggest a need for self promotion.  From experience, that suggests some sort of insecurity.

"You also don't consider irrational maneuvers......" interesting description.  Your words, not mine.  And don't even suggest what I consider.  The original request in this thread was for basic maneuvers.  My attempt has been to provide that.  You on the other hand, have muddied the waters.

"The fact that I have never seen you play the game leads me to question your abilities in Aceshigh and whether that holds merrit to actually training people in the game." 

The same can be applied to you. I have never seen you play the game.  So, your fuzzy logic suggests the same of your abilities.  I routinely fly 3-4 days a week, several hours per day, even managed to get a nice 2.5 hours in today.  Unlike your self promotion, I'll stand by my actions and reputation in game and let those who know me make the decision.   Track down Jappa52 and ask him a few questions.    :salute

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 02:35:41 AM »

Puma flew F-106s and F-4s in real life.  He flys bigger planes now.  You've made your point that AH is a game which does not fully duplicate real life, and that gamey features may allow a lay person to be good in the game because he knows how to game the game.  You're welcome to fly that way, and to preen yourself because you know all these game features. That doesn't mean that others might not want to learn how real world tactics can be used in AH.

- oldman

LOL. Oldman, I have learned this game from the inside out. The fact of the matter is that there are certain things you can pull off in this game that you simply cannot do in real life. That's why I stated that many real life pilots do not think of trying such a maneuver, which limits their success. Your body just couldn't take the stress in real life. I have actually learned this game to be very good at it, real flying has no precedent on my game play but I'm still a top fighter. When people challenge me I post proof that I know what I am talking about. It's all fair Oldman. I've simply learned the game better than most. People want to get better at the game and I provide advice to help them get better at it. If you don't think that is good advice, I'll post proof of why it is. If you don't think it is good advice, I don't really care because I am better at the game than you so my tactics obviously work better. Maybe you should practice some of them?

Problem is, your explanations skip the simple basics.  That's all I'm trying to point out.  Again, your $14.95 is yours, play the game the way you want, and most importantly, have fun with it.

If you want to present yourself as said expert, then learn it all, and know the basics.  Let's also be clear, I didn't write "the manual" so, it's not mine.   Guys far more experienced and smarter than any of us developed and wrote the manual on tactics.

Twelve "I"s and one "My" in your resume suggest a need for self promotion.  From experience, that suggests some sort of insecurity.

"You also don't consider irrational maneuvers......" interesting description.  Your words, not mine.  And don't even suggest what I consider.  The original request in this thread was for basic maneuvers.  My attempt has been to provide that.  You on the other hand, have muddied the waters.

"The fact that I have never seen you play the game leads me to question your abilities in Aceshigh and whether that holds merrit to actually training people in the game." 

The same can be applied to you. I have never seen you play the game.  So, your fuzzy logic suggests the same of your abilities.  I routinely fly 3-4 days a week, several hours per day, even managed to get a nice 2.5 hours in today.  Unlike your self promotion, I'll stand by my actions and reputation in game and let those who know me make the decision.   Track down Jappa52 and ask him a few questions.    :salute

Ohh, that's hilarious you want to call out "insecurities" in an argument about simple maneuvers in AH where you have the benefit of the doubt being a real pilot and all. I however, was forced to post my experience in AH seeing as you challenged my actual performance and mocked my advice. I've described very "basic" or "simple" maneuvers that are actually very effective in making people better pilots. Some of these maneuvers are simply irrational to perform in real life as they would be very risky. They are however very effective in the game. As soon as you realize you cannot beat my experience in the actual game, you resort illogical fallacies. The fact of the matter is that I am better at the game than you so you should actually appreciate my advice because it might actually help you get better.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Gents, what you see here is a guy who is a legend in his own mind.  A classic example of one who is so highly ego driven and knows it all that he is unable to learn from others.  :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Gents, what you see here is a guy who is a legend in his own mind.  A classic example of one who is so highly ego driven and knows it all that he is unable to learn from others.  :salute

Well said!  :salute

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »

Likewise buddy.

what is you see here is evidence that I know what I am talking about IN THE ACTUAL GAME based on performance, where as you use dispute manuevers based on a handbook with no evidence that you actually know how to utilize them in the game. Anyone can say hey "go look up some BFM" but if you don't know how it works in different planes in the game than you are still going to be SOL. All you can post your "well said" comments but when it comes to actually fighting in the MA you all die against me, so again, maybe y'all are the ones who should do a bit more training. You gotta love how people hate actually good pilots in this game becuase your advice contradicts theirs, even though they post better performance measurement in the game.

It's fine. I will continue to enjoy shooting you all down. If any one actually wants to put their skills where their mouths are you'll know where to find me, but I highly doubt any of you would actually want to test your skills agaisnt a person who has spent more time getting better at the game than you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:08:47 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-